Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: KP's JKUR Build

Quote Originally Posted by dstock View Post
    Loving this build! I'm a bit biased though as I have a 2013 on order exactly the same as yours!!

I will be getting rid of my 2010 JKU Sport, but I am going to retain most of my aftermarket goodies which include, the ARB Deluxe Bumper, various lights, winch, lift, same CB as you, etc.

I have a couple questions for you when you have time.

How much difference in power and driving did you notice after the addition of the ARB and winch? I know the Pentastar is a huge improvement over the old 3.8l but just curious what your impressions were after the install? I know my ARB and Superwich have to add at least 150lbs.

Also, I am familiar with the SPod and considering it for the new JK, (made my own Aux fuse box on my current ride) is it only switched power with the Spod or can you have a mixture of switched and non-switched? I've searched for a bit and can't find an answer.

TIA and looking forward to see what else you have in mind.
    Exactly the same? That's awesome! That billet silver with the black top looks pretty damn good imho.

Regarding power/bumper, I only had my JKUR for around 250 miles when I installed the bumper/winch. Since I never really got on the gas in the first 3,000 miles I don't have a good frame of reference to say if I've lost any power on not. I'm sure with the added weight (120lb bumper & 65+lb winch), it's a little slower but I don't have anything to compare to. So, my answer must be no. I didn't really notice any changes.

On the sPod, all the switches are hot all the time. None of them are ignition controlled.
    2013 Billet Silver Unlimited Rubicon (build thread)
    6-Spd, 4.10's, ARB Bull Bar, XRC X20 Winch, sPOD, Rigid Industry Floods, onboard-air, & way more comfortable than a Wrangler has any business being!

Retired but never forgotten
    2005 Wrangler TJ

Fresh Catch
    Exactly the same! I think the contrast of the black top and black fenders is great!

Thanks for the info on the Spod, not sure if I like the hot all the time scenario, have to think about that one. Definitely like how clean of an install it is though.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Gobi Stealth rack for my cargo needs.

What else do you have planned?
    2013 Unlimited Rubicon
    Auto, 4.10, ARB On-board air, Goodyear DuraTrac 285/70/17 on AEV Pintlers, sPod w/Aeroforce.
    In process of installing: AEV 2.5" lift, ARB Deluxe Bull Bar, ARB rear bumper. Superwinch EPi9.0s,Bumper lights - Hella 500FF, Rigid D2's, Vector JKE Dock, Dual Batteries, Gobi Stealth

SOLD -2010 Unlimited Sport

Exactly the same! I think the contrast of the black top and black fenders is great!

Thanks for the info on the Spod, not sure if I like the hot all the time scenario, have to think about that one. Definitely like how clean of an install it is though.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Gobi Stealth rack for my cargo needs.

What else do you have planned?
    That Gobi Stealth Rack looks like a fantastic place to hang 4 Rigid SRQ-2 lights!

Let's see... my next write ups are on-board air, auxiliary lighting, wheels, and then an intake system. I'm currently shopping for a new tire carrier/bumper combo but I think I know the one I'm going to go with (just hoping for a sale!).
    6-Spd, 4.10's, ARB Bull Bar, XRC X20 Winch, sPOD, Rigid Industry Floods, onboard-air, & way more comfortable than a Wrangler has any business being!

2005 Wrangler TJ

Caught the Bug
    Awesome build. The sPod installation looks really clean!!
    2008 JK Rubicon Unlimited - Black SOLD

2013 JK Rubicon 10A - Anvil New Main Rig

Cool Air Up! (ARB CKMA12)

Something I've always wanted in a Jeep but have always been a little leery of getting was on-board air. Simply b/c of the amount of space a full compressor takes up and the added weight. Lucky for me (not so much for my wallet!) I found an ARB High Output compressor kit from NorthRidge4x4. This little compressor fits under my hood in some dead space and has no problem airing up tires (only 32's for now) and possibly filling up a small tank for some air tools. But really, I only plan to use it for tires after trails since I don't even own any air tools at the moment.

I was just about to do a full write of my on-board air compressor install on this build thread, but @WayOfLife beat me to it. My bracket is a little different as it sits back against the firewall while his is perpendicular to mine. I had to relocate the horn and wired it to my sPod instead of the supplied switch, but everything else is pretty much the same. Here it is installed in all its on-board air goodness!
    17919_10151534884282068_581331632_n.jpg

@Wayoflife's ARB High Output On-Board Air Compressor Under the Hood JK Installation Write-Up

The only complaint I have isn't about the product, which works very well, it's in my install. I drilled a new hole in the bracket when I had to move my horn and now I believe it's not grounding out properly. Nothing a metal file and some patience won't fix tho!
    Last edited by KPM171; 11-20-2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Adding product #

2005 Wrangler TJ

Air Dammmm?

I've been thinking more and more about the gaping hole that acts like a sail b/t my bumper and edisco skid plate, and have decided I should do something about it. After getting to the end of the internet, I've figured that no one makes the piece I need. So, I broke out the measuring tape last night and the trusty protractor to start taking some measurements for a new piece. I'm at a little bit of a loss as to what metal I'd like to have it built in as I've no grasp on metal working, but I have found a local fabrication shop and sent them all of my measurements and crude drawings. I'm leaning towards 6061 Aluminum b/c I think it'll be a great light weight piece and considering it's only got to withstand wind & road debris, I think maybe I can get away with a 1/4 or 1/16th inch thick plate? I really don't know, but I'm meeting with the main fabricator either tomorrow or early next week to discuss and take some very precise measurements before he starts his cutting, bending, & drilling. Hopefully he'll have some suggestions that aren't crazy on the wallet.

2005 Wrangler TJ

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM171 View Post
    Something I've always wanted in a Jeep but have always been a little leery of getting was on-board air. Simply b/c of the amount of space a full compressor takes up and the added weight. Lucky for me (not so much for my wallet!) I found an ARB High Output compressor kit from NorthRidge4x4. This little compressor fits under my hood in some dead space and has no problem airing up tires (only 32's for now) and possibly filling up a small tank for some air tools. But really, I only plan to use it for tires after trails since I don't even own any air tools at the moment.

I was just about to do a full write of my on-board air compressor install on this build thread, but @WayOfLife beat me to it. My bracket is a little different as it sits back against the firewall while his is perpendicular to mine. I had to relocate the horn and wired it to my sPod instead of the supplied switch, but everything else is pretty much the same. Here it is installed in all its on-board air goodness!

@Wayoflife's ARB High Output On-Board Air Compressor Under the Hood JK Installation Write-Up

The only complaint I have isn't about the product, which works very well, it's in my install. I drilled a new hole in the bracket when I had to move my horn and now I believe it's not grounding out properly. Nothing a metal file and some patience won't fix tho!
    You will love having the onboard air, comes in very handy on the trail and in general, I even use it at home when I am too lazy to fire up the "big" compressor.

I've got the same on my 2010 (well actually it's in box now awaiting the 2013), is that the only way the ARB installs on the 2013? My previous one installs, like Wayoflife's but I think that is for the earlier JK's. I didn't realize they moved the horn back to the firewall for the new models?

Trying to get my ducks in a row before the new one arrives, Gobi is ordered, MORE dual battery tray is next and also some way to mount the ARB compressor on the list.
    2013 Unlimited Rubicon
    Auto, 4.10, ARB On-board air, Goodyear DuraTrac 285/70/17 on AEV Pintlers, sPod w/Aeroforce.
    In process of installing: AEV 2.5" lift, ARB Deluxe Bull Bar, ARB rear bumper. Superwinch EPi9.0s,Bumper lights - Hella 500FF, Rigid D2's, Vector JKE Dock, Dual Batteries, Gobi Stealth

Fresh Catch
    That Gobi Stealth Rack looks like a fantastic place to hang 4 Rigid SRQ-2 lights!

Let's see... my next write ups are on-board air, auxiliary lighting, wheels, and then an intake system. I'm currently shopping for a new tire carrier/bumper combo but I think I know the one I'm going to go with (just hoping for a sale!).
    Yeah those Rigids would be sweet (as my wallet shudders and runs into a corner to hide). I actually saw somewhere you can run the Rigid D2's and Duallys on the Gobi, with a slight mod to the light tab mount.

Do some research on the intake system, unless you are talking a snorkel I've seen mixed reviews about any real world benefit from adding an intake system.

How big you going tire size wise?
    2013 Unlimited Rubicon

Been Around the Block
    I've been thinking more and more about the gaping hole that acts like a sail b/t my bumper and edisco skid plate, and have decided I should do something about it. After getting to the end of the internet, I've figured that no one makes the piece I need. So, I broke out the measuring tape last night and the trusty protractor to start taking some measurements for a new piece. I'm at a little bit of a loss as to what metal I'd like to have it built in as I've no grasp on metal working, but I have found a local fabrication shop and sent them all of my measurements and crude drawings. I'm leaning towards 6061 Aluminum b/c I think it'll be a great light weight piece and considering it's only got to withstand wind & road debris, I think maybe I can get away with a 1/4 or 1/16th inch thick plate? I really don't know, but I'm meeting with the main fabricator either tomorrow or early next week to discuss and take some very precise measurements before he starts his cutting, bending, & drilling. Hopefully he'll have some suggestions that aren't crazy on the wallet.
    I don't know if any of the kits that "relocate" (really rotates it up) your sway bar motor will work with your bumper, but its something to consider instead of installing a skid

You will love having the onboard air, comes in very handy on the trail and in general, I even use it at home when I am too lazy to fire up the "big" compressor.

I've got the same on my 2010 (well actually it's in box now awaiting the 2013), is that the only way the ARB installs on the 2013? My previous one installs, like Wayoflife's but I think that is for the earlier JK's. I didn't realize they moved the horn back to the firewall for the new models?

Trying to get my ducks in a row before the new one arrives, Gobi is ordered, MORE dual battery tray is next and also some way to mount the ARB compressor on the list.
    I believe that when they went to the new engine, they rearranged some components as well. As such, I think my ARB kit might be the only one that fits. However, don't take my word for it as I haven't done a ton of research on the matter. The horn is in two places, behind the head light and on the drivers side fender. The kit bolts to the firewall and also next to the drivers side fender. That's where you have to move the horn. I liked the simple plate that bolts to the firewall set up which is lucky for me b/c I don't think the old style kit fits any longer.

On another note... Curse you! MORE Dual Battery Tray is now on the wish list. Are you planning on any crafty wiring set up for the two batteries or just run some 0 or 1 awg positive to positive w/ a 300amp fuse?

Yeah those Rigids would be sweet (as my wallet shudders and runs into a corner to hide). I actually saw somewhere you can run the Rigid D2's and Duallys on the Gobi, with a slight mod to the light tab mount.

Do some research on the intake system, unless you are talking a snorkel I've seen mixed reviews about any real world benefit from adding an intake system.

How big you going tire size wise?
    Yeah, a few Rigid lights will really make the wallet run in a corner and hide, but they are totally worth it imho. 3000+ lumens/light? Yes!

The intake I've picked out can be lightly modified later on to run a Snorkel kit if I want to go that route. I've seen a few dyno tests of this style of intake showing +6 hp at the wheels. I don't want to start a parts war here b/c I know many folks disagree with intakes, but I will keep you guys posted with a write up of what I do.

I'm trying to stay stock ride height and tire height for as long as I can take it. But, so far the plan is to run a 34.5" Duratrac. However, the more I'm looking into my mods & plans (tire carrier, lift, body mods) the more I see that everything is going to be spec'd out to run a 37" if I want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Briguy114 View Post
    I don't know if any of the kits that "relocate" (really rotates it up) your sway bar motor will work with your bumper, but its something to consider instead of installing a skid
    That's good thinking, but even were I to relocate (rotate) my edisco up, the gaping hole b/t the bottom of the bumper and the cross-members and skid plates would still be there. Besides, I'm pretty psyched to actually design something myself from scratch and see it come to life then onto my Jeep!
    Last edited by KPM171; 06-05-2013 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Replying to three quote posts in one

2005 Wrangler TJ

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast