2008 JKU Tie Rod Ends

tnvolfan69

Has anyone had any luck removing the stock tie rod ends from the stock tie rod. I have already replaced entire drag link and ball joints and when I get to what I thought would be the easiest repair, it's not! Drivers side tre removed easily from tr but cannot get pax side removed. Any ideas?

Attachments

• image-1830174294.jpg
    image-1830174294.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 74

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone had any luck removing the stock tie rod ends from the stock tie rod. I have already replaced entire drag link and ball joints and when I get to what I thought would be the easiest repair, it's not! Drivers side tre removed easily from tr but cannot get pax side removed. Any ideas?

It's not designed to be removed but rather, replaced entirely.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As you can see in the parts illustration below, #11 is the whole tie rod + the passenger side TRE. #10 is just the nut for it. Here is the part number for it if you want #52060052AE

tierod.jpg

dahreno

Banned
Thanks Eddie , yet another thing I did not know ! HA HA !Hey , it's funny that Rock auto sells right and left tie rod ends on their web sight . They are made by Moog . Part #s = ES800593 , and ES800594 for right and left .I wonder why ? Maybe you can shed some light on this ?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie , yet another thing I did not know ! HA HA !Hey , it's funny that Rock auto sells right and left tie rod ends on their web sight . They are made by Moog . Part #s = ES800593 , and ES800594 for right and left .I wonder why ? Maybe you can shed some light on this ?

It takes a lot of work but, IF you can remove the passenger side TRE, it can be replaced but, you'll need a bigass bench vice and a good amount of will to do it. Not really worth it to me being that the factory tie rod is essentially junk.

dahreno

Banned
I know you are right about the Junk part . I think a new factory tie rod is about $ 111.00 bucks . The moog ends are $34.00 . I have a Rock Krawler tie rod that I had Moog one ton tres on and one of the tres pulled out and screwed up the threads on the moog and the tie rod .The tre ends are 7/8th. I wish I could find new tres with a larger shaft so I could drill and tap new threads and reuse the Rock Krawler tie rod .Have any ideas ?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know you are right about the Junk part . I think a new factory tie rod is about $ 111.00 bucks . The moog ends are $34.00 . I have a Rock Krawler tie rod that I had Moog one ton tres on and one of the tres pulled out and screwed up the threads on the moog and the tie rod .The tre ends are 7/8th. I wish I could find new tres with a larger shaft so I could drill and tap new threads and reuse the Rock Krawler tie rod .Have any ideas ?

Sorry, don't know if anything like that is available but, it is possible. You could always weld them in but, that'll be the last TRE that you install.

dahreno

Banned
Bung or Helicoil , I plan on drilling small holes through the tie rod , threading them , then installing set screws in the till they meet up with the tres and tightening them so the tre will have a hard time coming out ! It's no fun driving down a dirt road with a cliff on one side when a tre pulls out ! Almost went over . Thank god for the burm that was there !

Top Bottom