JKUR 4 Door Rubicon Rock Slider Install On A 2 Door JK Sport

bthomas

Tried to find info on this here and came up short, so I will post this for the next guy that might want to do this with out having to refer elsewhere. I found a fair deal on a set of take off Rubi Rails local to me but they were off of a 4 door, so I proceeded to do a little homework & confirmed my suspicion that they are the same at the front & middle mounting points. The JKUR models are just longer with a third mounting point towards the rear of the Jeep. So, after bringing them home, I grabbed my phone for pic's, a few tools, my trusty Sawzall, files, some tape, news paper, & flat black paint to seal the bare edges. I did have to make a run to my local True Value for 4 metric J clip body nuts, they had them for under a buck each. Here goes the pic-u-mentary. Hope someone gets some use of it.

Stock Ruicon Unlimited Rails ready for surgery.

Pulled a wheel of to get a good measurement, Note jack stand under frame...Safety first, right? I cut mine the same lenght as the pinch seam for now, I will be going to 35's at some point in the future & I will re-cut & trim pinch seam to clear when the time comes.

Got my length set & marked with masking tape to make a straight cut. I cut 20.5" off the back side of the rails to come flush with stock pinch seam. My Sawzall still had some mesquite bark & dirt in it from the last camping trip...:blush:

Finished cut on first rail.

A bit of measuring & guesstimating to drill a new hole for the plastic Christmas Tree push pin retainer.

One of the rails was almost ready for the retainer, all I had to do was drill a hole in the oval clearance area.

Filed off rough edges inside & out, then hit it with some flat black Krylon to seal raw metal.

Got a little excited & cut a bit crooked on the second rail, so the cap did not sit square & flush, there is about 3/16" of a gap. So I ran tape on along both edges.

Then filled the gap with black RTV silicone.

I peeled the tape off right after smoothing out the still wet silicone & Viola! No more gap....Until you squint! (a little blury on this one, sorry.)

Checked for clearance the best I could with a floor jack. It'll be fine, till I go to 35's!

Finished install.

SALE!!! Today only!!! Rubicon Sliders 75% Off!!!

Well, I hope someone gets some use of this. I'm sure these will be replaced in the future with something more stout, but for where I'm at with my wheelin' & the minimal investment in time & materials, they will do fine for now. It was a real easy job to do. Took only a few hours with breaks to enjoy a frosty beverage or four :beer: on a 108* Arizona summer day! Whats better than modding parts to mod your Jeep right? ;)

Billy

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
nice job! I've been trying to give mine to a buddy who has a 2 door - I'm showing him this so he can see how easy it is to retrofit :beer:

RockyJk

I was told it wouldn't work took me forever to find my 2 door rubi rails lol sweet write up:thumbup:

Joshmuench

Damn I wish you wrote this up 5 weeks ago! I could have had 4 dr. take offs for half the price I paid for smittybuilt oem style rock rails I bought.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Can you post done shots of the rails close to the body? The contour of the tub on the 4 door and 2 door are different so I am curious how it looks.

bthomas

Can you post done shots of the rails close to the body? The contour of the tub on the 4 door and 2 door are different so I am curious how it looks.

Grabbed a quick one before work, can get more later. Hope this helps. They follow the same lines as the body.

RedRum

Mud and water would get inside of the rails and eventually rust them out. I'd put the caps back on just to minimize it.

Agreed I acquired a used set for my last jeep and that's exactly what had happened to them they were full of rust from the inside

Top Bottom