2013 Central California Trail Conditions, Reports, & Updates

BONDSY

***************** UPDATED August 31st ********************

Well Folks it's that time of the year again. Many our popular local trails are on the verge of opening. I will update this thread when new info is made available. Due to drought like conditions this year in the Sierras, I do anticipate all trails to open according to the MVUM dates if not sooner. Some trails have been cleared, and are awaiting Forest Service approval to be opened to the public. I WILL UPDATE THESE LISTS.

There are trails are north of Fresno, CA in the Bass Lake Ranger District that have been opened and are listed below:

Green Mtn. --- OPEN
Cattle Mtn. Routes --- OPEN
Hite Cove 4x4 --- OPEN
Iron Lake Route --- OPEN
Red Top Route --- OPEN
Shuteye Peak Route --- OPEN
Star Lake Route --- OPEN

These trails close December 1.

These Routes are less well known and I have only wheeled Shuteye.

The Following Trails are east of Fresno, CA and have an opening date of June 15 but may be opened at any time:

Red Lake --- OPEN
Coyote Lake --- OPEN
West Lake --- OPEN
Strawberry Lake --- OPEN
Mirror Lake --- OPEN
Brewer Lake --- OPEN
Hooper Diversion --- OPEN
Bear Diversion --- OPEN
Onion Springs --- OPEN

These trails close on November 1.

The Following Trails will be opened on July 1:

Swamp Lake --- OPEN
Spanish Route --- OPEN

These trails close November 1.

The following Trail will open August 1:

Dusy/Ershim --- OPEN

Closes November 1.

All trail openings/closures are subject to Forest Service officials. Please Keep our trails cleaner than you find them, stay on designated routes only, and tread lightly please.

I will do my best to keep this thread up to date.
I do hope you put forth the effort to travel and enjoy these great trails!

http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/sierra/home
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sierra/home/?cid=stelprdb5315989

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Central California Trail Conditions, Reports, & Updates

Wow, I didn't realize there was such a small window for Dusy. Does it always open so late? Good info though!

MTG

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the update Bondsy!

I can tell you the snow is melting fast on this side of the Sierras.

I've been wanting to do swamp lake ever since your write up. 👍

Rob

Man Im itching to get up there. Want to run Red/Coyote now that the Jeep isn't bone stock like the last time I tried it. Thanks Bondsy!

BONDSY

We were informed by the Forest Service the trails in the Red Mountain OHV area will be opened June 14th Friday morning. Since this is opening weekend, expect some traffic. There is a group running Saturday morning. Tentative meet-up time is 7:30 am in Prather. I will update the first post with trail info.

BONDSY

I am happy to announce the Red Mountain trails are now open to the public. I was fortunate to run into Red/Coyote lakes on opening day. The trails are pretty chewed up and dusty. A chewed up trail is a good thing if you invite more of a challenge to your preference of trails. The lakes are full, fish are being caught, and the Mosquitos are thick. I hope you can make it up this way to enjoy these trails.

BONDSY

Just a FYI.....campfire restrictions are in place for Sequoia N.F with a total ban. Sierra N.F will impose restrictions below 4000' on July 1st.

Top Bottom