Traveling the U.S. by Train

Lane87

After living overseas for the last 3 years and seeing a few different Asian countries my wife and I decided it's time to plan a trip and see the U.S.

We are originally from small town Indiana/ Illinois. I have never been farther west than St. Louis. We are now living in Pennsylvania and seeing a new area has us both inspired to explore everything else our country has to offer.

I heard a story on NPR that got me thinking.. They said that with rising air fare prices that it is more cost and time effective to take a train for trips under 400 miles. Then the interviewee said that Amtrak has a rail pass that allows you to ride 8 segments in 15 days for $439 or 12 segments in 30 days for $669. A segment meaning travel on one train or bus without having to get off.. The thought of traveling across the country by train seems like the most epic way to see America I can think of.

We will be "backpacking" the trip and camping as much as possible. The plan is to decide on a few places to spend a few nights. So far we want to spend a couple nights in Chicago visiting my sister. Then a few nights in the Denver area.. Where else do you guys think we could stop and have decently close options for camping? I'm thinking we'll want to spend the majority of the time in California..

The California Zephyr travels from Chicago to San Fransisco via Denver and is the most scenic route. From there we could either go north to Seattle and across the top of the country back to Chicago or South to LA then across to New Orleans and up to DC. Which route back do you guys think would be a more interesting view?

We will likely be making this trip at the beginning of next summer. I know this trip is going to take a crazy amount of planning to pull off but I think it can be done for pretty cheap after the rail pass fee.. Any advice on train riding or places to see are greatly appreciated.

Tackerdown

Banned
My sister lives in Minnesota and used to live in Montana and she always shows great pics of the mountain , ghost towns .ect. she also did a sim. Trip and loved it.

EVO 4G WAYALIFE.

Lane87

My sister lives in Minnesota and used to live in Montana and she always shows great pics of the mountain , ghost towns .ect. she also did a sim. Trip and loved it.

EVO 4G WAYALIFE.

From what I've read the western portion on Montana is beautiful from the train but the rest of it is pretty boring.. I'm thinking that we'll make most of the stops on the way out to Cali and just pick either the northern or southern route for one straight ride home.. maybe stopping once..

Lane87

Amtrak has a package for traveling the us.

not sure exactly what you're talking about.. are you just meaning the rail pass? I'm not wanting to do like a tour or anything, I just want to get off in interesting random places.

If your serious about the train travel, then I agree with 'Black Diamond Bound'... the southwest is the scenic area to explore. The Rocky mountains though Colorado into New Mexico, the Grand Canyon in AZ and the Grand Circle in northern AZ and southern Utah are all train accessible. Check out the web site... http://traveltips.usatoday.com/scenic-train-rides-national-parks-southwest-usa-17939.html ... on the train access to the grand circle. Then train it up the Pacific coast from Calif. to Washington and then back through Yellowstone / Grand Tetons would top it off as one great trip!!!

Rivertoys

You will enjoy it.

In 2001 we went from LA, to Orlando, to DC, to Chicago, and back to LA. It was like 12-13,000 miles, and touched almost half the states. For most of the trip we had a "family room", on the lower level. That gave us windows on both sides of the train. Except from Orlando to DC, where they only run single level trains. The food was included with the room, and it was great (seriously, good food). You eat a lot on the train though, and don't move a lot. The Southwest was beautiful, and so was the Virginia area outside of DC.

We rented a car and drove to Clearwater Beach from Orlando. We got to my Grandmother's in Clearwater at 03:00am on September 11th, 2001. We boarded the train for DC and it was a whole different trip after that. There were no planes flying and the train was very crowded. It wasn't bad for us though, having a room. Luckily we had tickets for the whole trip already. DC was spooky that soon after 9/11 too.

We want to do LA, Seattle, Chicago some day.

Top Bottom