Rubicon Express 3.5" lift

MyJK

After getting my lift installed I have a rattle in the front left when hitting a bump. Took back to the shop they say nothing is loose. Roads are rough in Louisiana and it rides a little rough now. Any suggestion or help?

MyJK

It sounds like a worn out shock to me but they are brand new Bilstiens. I'm stumped. It will only rattle while driving but nothing when you rock it or bounce on the bumper. While sitting in the drive. Also the shop said ball joints were going bad and I only have 10400 miles on the Jeep.

munstie

It sounds like a worn out shock to me but they are brand new Bilstiens. I'm stumped. It will only rattle while driving but nothing when you rock it or bounce on the bumper. While sitting in the drive. Also the shop said ball joints were going bad and I only have 10400 miles on the Jeep.

I have heard of people having to replace them at 10,000 to 12,000 miles. Replaced mine at 22,000. Maybe check the swaybar end links and the link bolts.

2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.

Last edited:

Paws

What all comes with the rubicon express 3.5 lift? What all was replaced?

Does it happen over bumps or normal smooth road?

1)I'd start off by checking the trackbar nut and bolt at the frame. Put a wrench on it and see if you can tighten it. See if there is any wear on the frame from the bolt or nut moving.

2)Verify you shocks are tight at the tower "nut up top" look at both sides make sure they look the same meaning the you see the same amount of threads above each nut.

Get under there and put a wrench in everything that was replaced. Mechanics are only human and tend to miss stuff from time to time.

jeeeep

Hooked

did you check that everything was tight yourself? make sure your springs are seated properly and bump stops not loose? I had a shock work loose at the top - only made noise while moving didn't make any noise rocking or bouncing. I discovered it when I finally checked every nut and bolt on the noisy side and found it.
can't believe your balljoints are already bad at 10400 - I have about 78000 and mine are still good - did you check them yourself?

1yellowjk

If u installed the camber bolts that come with the kit check to make sure they are tight. Take a rubber mallet and check all the control arms by hitting them. Mine came loose and rattled bad.

Sent from my MB865 using WAYALIFE mobile app

MyJK

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will post after trying all them or if I find the culprit.

MyJK

What all comes with the rubicon express 3.5 lift? What all was replaced?

Does it happen over bumps or normal smooth road?

1)I'd start off by checking the trackbar nut and bolt at the frame. Put a wrench on it and see if you can tighten it. See if there is any wear on the frame from the bolt or nut moving.

2)Verify you shocks are tight at the tower "nut up top" look at both sides make sure they look the same meaning the you see the same amount of threads above each nut.

Get under there and put a wrench in everything that was replaced. Mechanics are only human and tend to miss stuff from time to time.

Only on bumps. Like potholes, railroad tracks, expansion joints, etc. Good on smooth pavement. Items replaced were shocks, springs, track bar (front), track bar bracket (rear), front and rear bump stops, sway bar end links and cam bolts.

Paws

Yeah, then I would start at the trackbar or check the sway bar links make sure they are not hitting the springs.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is it a metallic sound? How long does it last when it happens? Like one "rat-tat-tat" or more like a "clunk".

munstie

Was thinking also could it be a shock body hitting the frame rail.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Was thinking also could it be a shock body hitting the frame rail.

Possibly. I was kinda thinking that maybe his sway bar arm was making contact with the driver side coil. A common problem if the axle isn't positioned correctly.

TheDuff

Possibly. I was kinda thinking that maybe his sway bar arm was making contact with the driver side coil. A common problem if the axle isn't positioned correctly.

Mine does this a lil, annoying as all hell

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Paws

Also, with the stiffer ride you could e hearing something that didn't clunk on the softer ride. My Ace rails was doing this to my rubicon rails.

Top Bottom