2011 JKX participants: Royal gorge is on fire.

Jaydoc1

For those of you who were "Keeping it Tight" in 2011 and who were at the Royal Gorge, it is currently on fire. 3800 acres on both sides of the gorge have burned. Sounds arson-like to me.

Lot of fires here in Colorado all of a sudden. Small fire at the Air Force Academy and a large one in Black Forest by Colorado Springs. Fire in Pueblo. Evacuation orders starting for Black Forest.

ETA: Apparently the winds have been strong enough to carry the embers across the gorge thus accounting for the fire on both sides.

Last edited:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Very sad news. It was warm and windy with low humidity all day along the front range. This is the second year in a row for this type of weather and really scary for anyone who lives in Colorado's beautiful pines. I lived in the Springs many years ago and dry weather wasn't unheard of then, but there are many more homes and businesses in high risk areas now. I wish them luck in the coming months.:yup:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Hope it turns around soon for those in danger and those fighting it.

I heard also that there are fires burning near Tahoe.

cluelessJK

Apparently there have been some structures damaged on both sides of the bridge but at this point the bridge itself appears to be okay.

That would be terrible if that bridge fell, I have Ben there many times and always enjoy it. Especially the cog railroad and the bungee cord/sling shot thing into the canyon, can you say scary as hell for a 15yo!?!

I miss being In co springs but I don't miss all the wildfire worries. Hope it gets under control soon!!

Ldogg

The Black Forest fire is insane right now. We are pretty much in pre evac at my house, just south of the new evac zone, and we have thick smoke and ash outside tonight. I think there will be a major loss of homes in that area. So sad. Stay safe everyone. The news showed the bridge and flames near it, but no word on it. There was 4 or 5 fires here today.

Ldogg

Very sad news. It was warm and windy with low humidity all day along the front range. This is the second year in a row for this type of weather and really scary for anyone who lives in Colorado's beautiful pines. I lived in the Springs many years ago and dry weather wasn't unheard of then, but there are many more homes and businesses in high risk areas now. I wish them luck in the coming months.:yup:

Based on the smoke ploom I saw today and how fast it moved east, I think the town of Black Forest may be gone. My old boss called me and said he thinks his house is gone....:(

On my way home today
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1371016209.034473.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1371016219.837010.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1371016231.069498.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1371016242.575938.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1371016260.794731.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1371016269.308296.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1371016282.579380.jpg

This was from my house. An hour after the ones above.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1371016292.371239.jpg

Here is where we are.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1371016341.724763.jpg

Ldogg

Jeep is packed, as is my wife's explorer. Ready to grab the kids and dogs and roll when given the word. :(

Ldogg

It's about 4000 acres burned near the gorge. 0% contained.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1371023400.814753.jpg

Out by us, not sure it's thousands of acres and homes evacuated. We live in a pretty heavy populated area on the east side of town and if it gets into these neighborhoods it's going to be bad. The smoke ploom I posted above was 30,000 feet high at 80 miles long at one point.

Peej

Be safe. I live in Salida,and there is a small fire on the other side of Poncha Pass towards Alamosa. I don't think it is very big. If you need anything feel free to contact me. Everyone that is going to visit Colorado this year PLEASE be careful with any kind of flame, it is extremely dry.

Top Bottom