Ammo can tool box thingamajig

SquareLJ

Normally, I really do hate the looks of an ammo can mounted inside a Jeep. It just looks tacky to me. That being said, I mounted one inside my Jeep. :crazyeyes:

I really like having tools in my Jeep with me when I go wheeling, I just don't like to have them unsecured and rolling around. For that reason, I typically didn't keep my small tool set with me. So, today I was in the garage looking at ways to keep those tools in the Jeep while still keeping them from becoming a missile during an accident. Didn't want something too permanent in case I decided to go a different route later on, which meant, no new holes were to be drilled (on the Jeep at least).

Luckily, the rear fender wells have a random hole in them, right above the wheel well (it's normally covered by a rubber plug). It made a great location.

So, I scrounged up some parts from old projects. Like this flat piece of steel, a rusted bolt and a giant fender washer. I drilled out the flat stock and ground down the sharp edges so they wouldn't tear through the thin metal of the can and did the same for the washer. Mounted the can and put the bolt up through the outside and through the can.

I also thought it'd be a good idea to clean off all the rust from the bolt and give it a coat of bed liner to keep it from rusting again.

Once it was fully tighten down, I put some sound deading material on the sides and a tool box drawer liner on the bottom to keep the noise down from the tools moving around.

Tools all loaded in it (Wrenches are at the bottom and are of the most common sizes on my rig).

And all back together. I also took the lid handle off. No sense in having it rattle around and drive me insane....err...more insane.

SquareLJ

Oh, and a side note. If I still like it in a couple of days, I'm probably going to repaint it or put some carpet around the outside of it. Just to make it look SOMEWHAT nicer.

mrmet1983

Looks cool as is IMO but some matching carpet in it might make it look stock that wud be sweet too.

Sent from my JK

If do not want it there you could put a piece of strapping and secure it behind the rear seat on the deck area.

Great idea and might just have to try it.

Top Bottom