Favorite Traildash program feedback

Rebel JK

Ok so I'm like a kid in a candy store with the new unit. I wont have time to play with all the programs before I hit the Sierras soon, so does anyone have some feedback good or bad on the various programs? Im set at Level 4 w 87 oct. now and it seems like the power curve is drastically moved closer to the lower rpm range. I love it. I will be testing out the tow mode soon as well. Very cool having the tranny temp guage plus all the other goodies in a clean single unit.

Has anyone had their Jeep on a dyno with stock verses mod settings?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
We installed ours on a manual transmission so we weren't really able to see the kind of differences you will see. I would however be interested in hearing about what you find so please do post them up :yup:

Rebel JK

Reset the program last nite to level 3/towing. For some reason it came up with engine light on and sway bar light flashing. Also read 4 new codes. Checked oil pressure and other gauges, and all were ok so took it for a run up the hill.
Big improvement over stock on low end grunt and stayed strong through each shift point with a moderate foot. (the shift points seemed a little higher in the rpm's. Got home and cleared codes and so far so good.

The only thing I'm having an issue with now is navigating through to reset my fan temp/speed settings. Prior to updating it the other night it was there under programming mode but now I can't find it. I'm wondering if the update removed it. The manual could do a better job with an improved flow chart for all the options or capabilities. Maybe they don't print it because they are continuously updating the programs. The PDF manual online is the same as mine and doesn't include the latest and greatest info.

Other than that, it is pretty sweet. More testing to come, we are taking it up to good altitude (10-11k) next few days.

Rebel JK

Up at 9000' today for a mostly 4hi loop today (25+ mile) between Mammoth and June. The tranny temp guage worth its weight in gold. Im used to running a gear high on the mx/desert bike so when you need wheelspin its there. When Im watchin the tach at 27-2800 R's on the jk i just naturally want to go a taller gear. Do that on the jeep and you'll see tranny temps in the 190+ range.
Good reminder to drop down to 2low and let her rev to cool down especially on the silty volcanic stuff up here.

JaySC

Were you still using the Tow Tune during the 9000' climb, or did you switch back to the 87 tune? I'm currently running the 87 tune, but am wondering how the other tunes work out, especially the 89 and 91 tunes.

Also, did you try changing any of the other PIDs? On a couple of PIDs that I changed out, I got error codes that included a swaybar disconnect and ESP Off light. :thinking:

Rebel JK

We ran tow mode (level 3) for the road trip only up to our camp while pulling the trailer. I had good amount of 91 in the tank still still after we got up there so i reset and ran around on and offroad at level 4 to get a better feel for it. For the trails we were doing, 4 was a bit overkill so I reset down to stock 87.
When we went up to laurel lakes ( around 10,500' i think) we were at a slow cruise going up so I just ran stock 87. I think level 4 may be a bit overkill for some offload situations as it is pretty torquey and the power delivery to to wheels is almost too responsive when you are looking for traction rather than wheelspin.
I havent had a chance to try out the "crawl mode" yet so I am looking forward to trying it out at corral cyn. in a few weeks.

Rebel JK

I actually did have a couple of codes come up when I first installed. I will have to look up what they were, but they weren't related to the sway disco. After verifying fluids, temp were ok, I just cleared codes and have not seen them since. One of the reasons I picked it up was to monitor the tranny temp and that has been great.
There are some PID's available that I really don't think I'll use like intake air temp, fuel level, and a number of others. I'm hoping super chips will come up with an update that will at least include the engine oil pressure.

JaySC

Yeah I pretty much bought it just for the temp gauge...but I now love playing around with it. Still havent figured out the benefits of the gear ratio and tire size tho.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using WAYALIFE mobile app

bl17z90

Im pretty sure tire size and gear ratio fix your speedo. And have to reset them every time you change programming.

I wouldn't have my traildash if i hadn't won it in a contest superchips was doing last year. For my purposes it just isn't worth the $500 price tag.

Rebel JK

Im looking at mine as an investment in preventative maintenance as well as some very cool engine performance settings. Have either of you guys tried out the crawl mode yet? Thoughts on it?

JaySC

I haven't tried out the crawl mode yet. I imagine it would just be a lot of low end torque.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rebel JK

I heard that it has a much smoother or gradual power delivery which would help avoid too much immediate torque to the wheels. If so This would be a good thing to help reduce breakage.
At least for me being kind of a novice still I would definitely not run level 2-4 in the rocks. With my luck and with those levels being so responsive i would probably grenade something.

bl17z90

I do like the different programmin modes but thats all i use it for. The crawl mode is great when wheeling. It makes your gas pedal a good bit softer and moves your shift points for 1st and 2nd gear up to around 4000 rpm. This is nice since it helps to keep you from shifting into while climbing a hill and loosing your momentum.

I know this because i set to crawl mode while we were cutting trails at the new property at rausch creek, and when we drove back up the road to the main property i didnt change it over to a road setting and was overheating because my engine was running at a steady 3500-4000 rpm before it would shift :doh:

Last edited:

Miramontes

So far I'm really liking mine. I'm on PWR level 4 now. Tried econo. It was a waste. But what was I expecting. Seemed to save fuel. But it's really not worth it to me unless your going to be driving on the 10 in Texas. Flat for hundreds of miles. Looking forward to trying the crawl setting.

Top Bottom