Swansea Cerro Gordo Trail

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For Fathers Day weekend, Cindy and I decided to head up to the Owens Valley and do a little exploring up in the Inyo Mountains. It'd been a while since we've visited the areas surrounding the old ghost town of Cerro Gordo and so, we decided to start our adventure by heading up the Swansea Trail and then circle back down Cerro Gordo Road. Along the way, we made a stop over at the old Burgess Mine and spent some time over at the historic old salt tram and cabin along the ridge top. Here are a few pics from our trip, I hope you enjoy.

Leaving pavement near the old town site of Swansea...
main.php

Heading up into the Inyo Mountains...
main.php

Working our way up the canyon, you can just make out a couple of the old salt tram towers on the mountain side...
main.php

Long road ahead...
main.php

View looking out across the Owens Dry Lake and the Sierra's beyond...
main.php

main.php

Paying a visit to the old Burgess Mine...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Looking down into the Saline Valley...
main.php

Looking south across the Inyo Mountains...
main.php

Heading south along the ridge top...
main.php

main.php

At the old salt tram...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Tessa waiting for the next lift...
main.php

Crazy panorama of the tram...
main.php

View looking down toward the Saline Valley...
main.php

Same line but looking west toward the Owens Valley...
main.php

Down in the operating room is a large fly wheel/brake that stands about 6' tall...
main.php

Drive shaft that's attached to it...
main.php

Bull wheel that it once turned...
main.php

More structure pics...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Come on out, it holds me just fine...
main.php

This is the old cabin that housed the workers of the tram, it has been nicely restored...
main.php

Info about the tram is posted on the wall here...
main.php

Cool artifacts from the area can be found inside - PLEASE DO NOT TAKE any of them...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

The old outhouse...
main.php

At about 9,000 feet up, it's still spring and the cactus were still in bloom...
main.php

Moving on, the trail turns into a very narrow shelf road...
main.php

You can see the entire Owens Dry Lake from up here...
main.php

The old town of Cerro Gordo - this is a really well preserved ghost town but it's privately owned and the caretakers can sometimes be in a mood so, we just passed through on this trip...
main.php

Back on pavement and heading for our home for the night...
main.php

I hope you enjoyed following us on our trip up the Swansea Cerro Gordo Trail. If you would like to see more of the pics we took, click on the link below:

Swansea Cerro Gordo Trail Photo Gallery

jhires

Awesome pics!
I would be extremely tempted to take that Hires Root Beer can. However, I'd be good and actually leave it.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Looks like a nice relaxed little weekend adventure. Thanks for posting those pics up. It is always really neat to see all the old mine equipment. :yup:

JeepFan

Hooked
What an amazingly preserved location! Love the pictures. Thanks for sharing another awesome adventure. :thumb:

bthomas

Thanks for sharing the pics! Looks like a fun trip. I love seeing some history that's still there & intact for people to enjoy.

my_jk

That mine looks like its in incredible condition. Will be in Lone Pine this weekend think I might check it out.

toys4rocks

That's what I would love to be able to do, just take off to the mountains and explore great places like that, but alas I live in Missouri and there isn't any place like that around here. Thanks for the pics and the inspiration looks like a great weekend.

Top Bottom