Transfer Case small leak - 2010 JKUR Automatic

supra_launch21v

I just found a small leak on my transfer case. It is appearing right at the shift lever. Small drip whenever I take it for a spin. 2010 with 15K miles, modified. There have been no mods to the the engine, transmission, or transfer case. 5.13 gears, JE Reel 1350s installed. It is about one drop per day at the bottom of the shift lever on the drivers side.

Question 1: Do I have a chance with warranty? I know the easy answer is going to be, depends. Any words of advice from successful customers?
Questions 2: Can it be repaired without dropping it down or tearing it apart from the inside?

Anyone experience this?

Thanks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How long have you had the 1350 drive shaft installed? Does it still have a dust shield installed and if so, can you tell if that's where the leak is coming from? If so, cut off the dust shield. If not, thoroughly clean and wipe down your transfer case with some brake clean and look for any hairline cracks - this is a common problem especially if you have some driveline vibrations.

CarsonCindy

Administrator
Staff member
To give you an idea of what you might be looking for, here is a pic of a small crack we had in our transfer case:

main.php

supra_launch21v

Brand new 1350s. 40 miles with no vibration. No cracks. Coming right out at the shifter lever. I will recheck, but I looked at it for a long time last night. I will post a photo of the area.

supra_launch21v

Transfer Case Shift Lever (I hope) affected area

The Yokes look dry and clean with no fluid on them. I cleaned the fluid off the TC last night thinking today I would be able to locate the leak better. Last night the fluid was dripping right where the "arrows" are pointing. These are today's photos.

TC Shift lever.jpg TC leak.jpg

supra_launch21v

I took photos of the top of the TC and it looks good. A bit of grease/oil on the sensor/sensor wires. Otherwise the unit looks good.

supra_launch21v

For a follow up. If anyone has a leak at the transfer case and it is coming from the top, check the breather to see if it is clogged.

Seahawkfan

Hooked
T-Case Leak

Sorry to revive such an old thread. But was having trouble finding anything on the subject. Awhile back I installed a new front DS noticed the leak in the front output shaft of the T-Case . Took it apart and added RTV to the splines looked good for awhile but looks like it started leaking again. Decided this time to replace the front output shaft seal. Well thinking the local parts store had the correct seal I went ahead and pulled the old one. They didn't .... Had to order it.. So a little later I needed to go somewhere real close and not a drop of fluid was lost. I will be draining and changing the fluid when I replace the seal. Question is why no fluid when I drove it. Does it only get oiled when in 4 wheel drive? I'm pretty sure it's not bone dry. It never leaked enough to even leave a drop on the garage floor.. Any experience or incite would be appreciated.. Thanks 2011 JKU auto 1350 JE Reel DS

WJCO

Meme King
So a little later I needed to go somewhere real close and not a drop of fluid was lost. I will be draining and changing the fluid when I replace the seal. Question is why no fluid when I drove it. Does it only get oiled when in 4 wheel drive? I'm pretty sure it's not bone dry. It never leaked enough to even leave a drop on the garage floor.. Any experience or incite would be appreciated.. Thanks 2011 JKU auto 1350 JE Reel DS

Both driveshafts turn when the Jeep is moving. So not sure why you only lose fluid from that area at certain times. Heat may be part of it as it is driven for a longer period of time from contraction/expansion, hard to say.

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Both driveshafts turn when the Jeep is moving. So not sure why you only lose fluid from that area at certain times. Heat may be part of it as it is driven for a longer period of time from contraction/expansion, hard to say.

Thanks... That makes sense. Another question ? When I drove it. It was without the front DS so does the turning of the DS come from the spinning of the wheels? Or is the T-case spinning the shaft. I'm thinking not engaged the wheels spinning would turn the DS ?? Won't be able to put her back together and check fluid levels until end of May when I'm back stateside. Thanks again

Top Bottom