Everything I'll need when I get a lift and new tires

theleesullivan

I'm new with Jeeps and right now everything is still stock on my 2012 JKU. Like everyone else thats not good enough. I'm looking into getting a BB with 33s or 35s, but everywhere I look I read oh you will need to get 5.13 gears, wheel spacers, this that and etc. What really do I need. I will be doing some offroading but no hard core wheeling considering I live in Louisiana and this is my everyday vehicle. Please help I just dont want to screw up my Jeep by not getting something need. Thanks
jeep.jpg

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'm new with Jeeps and right now everything is still stock on my 2012 JKU. Like everyone else thats not good enough. I'm looking into getting a BB with 33s or 35s, but everywhere I look I read oh you will need to get 5.13 gears, wheel spacers, this that and etc. What really do I need. I will be doing some offroading but no hard core wheeling considering I live in Louisiana and this is my everyday vehicle. Please help I just dont want to screw up my Jeep by not getting something need. Thanks

if you get 35's you will need to regear due to the 3.8 being such a bear. if you get 33's you will wish you had 35's. i would get the teraflex 2.5" lift. it will clear 35's. if you get aftermarket wheels with 4.5" of backspacing or less you will not need spacers.

Rule18

if you get 35's you will need to regear due to the 3.8 being such a bear. if you get 33's you will wish you had 35's. i would get the teraflex 2.5" lift. it will clear 35's. if you get aftermarket wheels with 4.5" of backspacing or less you will not need spacers.

OP's got a 2012, so the 3.6L. Totally agree with going right for 35's.

theleesullivan

Alright thanks alot is there anything else like rubbing anywhere I honestly know very little about this stuff and need to learn

Tackerdown

Banned
welcome to WAYALIFE. there is alot missing here. If you go over 2.5 inches there are alot more thing you need to consider.
Do you have a auto or a manual transmission ?

You will need spacers if you get tires that are 12.5 inches wide and use your stock wheels.

you could run 33's stock without a lift but refer to the above.

if you replace you springs to get a 2.5" lift you will need to make sure they dont lift you more or there will be more things to consider like exhaust,drive shaft, ect.
There are also spacers you could use for the lift. BB lift
Gears are just going to get you back to a more stock ride and there is a chart for that we could show you.

Edit and congrats on the jeep. your new off road vehicle.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Alright thanks alot is there anything else like rubbing anywhere I honestly know very little about this stuff and need to learn

welcome to WAYALIFE. there is alot missing here. If you go over 2.5 inches there are alot more thing you need to consider.
Do you have a auto or a manual transmission ?

You will need spacers if you get tires that are 12.5 inches wide and use your stock wheels.

you could run 33's stock without a lift but refer to the above.

if you replace you springs to get a 2.5" lift you will need to make sure they dont lift you more or there will be more things to consider like exhaust,drive shaft, ect.
There are also spacers you could use for the lift. BB lift
Gears are just going to get you back to a more stock ride and there is a chart for that we could show you.

Edit and congrats on the jeep. your new off road vehicle.

To continue off of what Tacker said yes there is a lot to consider. another great place to start looking is in this thread i posted below. here Eddie (Wayalife) covers just about everything you will need to know. we can also fill in the parts that are not covered later

seanb123

For the 2012 it's pretty simple for a lift you need right around 2.5-3 inch lift and for the 12 you need the teraflex exhaust spacer to ensure you don't get driveshaft rubbing. If you have the 3.73 with 35 it won't be terrible a lot of guys don't regear the 12-13 and are fine. I have the 3.8 and still have 35s and 3.73 It's sluggish but nothing I can't deal with. For rims and tires jest get a back spacing around 8. 15 inch rims will be the cheapest route by far. Lastly I wouldn't bother with a budget boost better off going with a basic lift kit and add control arms from there. This is economical way to do it. If you have the cash to drop then go for a full long arm kit regear cool over and what not but if your on a budget I'd take the first route.

1yellowjk

Where you at in LA?

Remember that what works well for West Coast may not be the same for us down south, our terrain is not the same as theirs and vise-versa.

I would go slow and build up smartly. I wouldn't go 33's as an upgrade unless you don't plan on wheeling much.

I guess it will depend on what you want to do, I can't tell you how many timess I get asked "You take that thang muddin?"....your choice of off roading will play a large role in what you need to spend your money on.

theleesullivan

1yellowjk I'm from Shreveport and most my offloading will be on my hunting leases and yeah I'll do a little bit of mudding but not a whole ton I just want to be able to be versatile have it get for the road but be able to have a little fun off road as well

Cajun JK

1yellowjk I'm from Shreveport and most my offloading will be on my hunting leases and yeah I'll do a little bit of mudding but not a whole ton I just want to be able to be versatile have it get for the road but be able to have a little fun off road as well

We were in Benton for 8 years. We are military and have been stationed in Maryland for the last two. Hopefully August 2014 we will be back down in Benton. I was part of Bayou Jeepers when we were there.

theleesullivan

Cajun jk that's awesome I have some friends that went to Benton high school now they're all over the place and I want to look into that

For my 2012 jku sport automatic, I installed a 3.5" rock krawler flex system, 35" toyo M/T's new wheels, an AFE Y-pipe and EVO c-gussets. I have 3.21 gears with 35's and don't have an issue with power loss (I used a superchips flashcal to reprogram tire size) I'd say all you need is the lift 2.5" or so, 35's, wheel spacers, and some sort of exhaust spacer or AFE y pipe. I installed the c gussets for a little assurance with my D30 front axle. Breather tubes may need to be extended as well but that's a cheap and quick fix. Hope this helps a bit

theleesullivan

For my 2012 jku sport automatic, I installed a 3.5" rock krawler flex system, 35" toyo M/T's new wheels, an AFE Y-pipe and EVO c-gussets. I have 3.21 gears with 35's and don't have an issue with power loss (I used a superchips flashcal to reprogram tire size) I'd say all you need is the lift 2.5" or so, 35's, wheel spacers, and some sort of exhaust spacer or AFE y pipe. I installed the c gussets for a little assurance with my D30 front axle. Breather tubes may need to be extended as well but that's a cheap and quick fix. Hope this helps a bit

Yes thanks alot

StrizzyChris

Just wheel it and see what you NEED to buy after a few experiences off the road.

X2...if ur new to Jeeps I would recommend getting a set of used 33" mud tires that are wider than stock and wheel spacers. No lift needed and you won't sink as easily in the mud ur loomy soil. Cheap and a basis to decide what you really need in a suspension. If you plan to hit creek beds it would be smart to buy a set of Rubi rails to protect your tub from the rocks as well as an oil pan skid. Armor and recovery gear are always a good first mods. Not as flashy but better than paying for damage repair.

1yellowjk

Well let me know if you need any help, I'm always down to turn a wrench and have a beer (or two).

Top Bottom