Praise the Jeep Gods.....CONFIRMED!!!!!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I wouldn't jump up and down just yet. First I would want to know which diesel motor is going to be used.

Aeraun

I wouldn't jump up and down just yet. First I would want to know which diesel motor is going to be used.

Plus if they are saying its gona be released later than you may want to wait for the next gen model. Gotta do the math too to see how much it will be worth it, with the cost of fuel and all.

SDG

Caught the Bug
From a financial perspective, I would put my money on the same one as the current Ram/Grand Cherokee.

Highly doubt they would put a 350 hp 660ft lb or torque engine that requires diesel exhaust fluid in a jeep or any other suv. My guess would be some little turbo diesel.

HoosierWolf

I'm a bit concerned about what kind of money they are going to want as well.

I'm running my 3.6 until it 'splodes then I will see what my options to swap motors are when/if that happens.

SDG

Caught the Bug
Huh? The 3.0 diesel in the GC is a 240hp 420tq model.

I was thinking what was in the '13 2500

"With a six-speed manual transmission — the only full-size pickup to offer one —the Cummins diesel is again rated at 350 hp but torque is up to 660 pounds-feet at 1,500 rpm"

Didnt know a little one was on the way for the '14.

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Don't all diesels now either have a dpf or burn urea?

Yup. Diesels are as clean as gassers now (not that I care). Most people think that black stuff pouring from the exhaust is filthy smoke, but in reality, it's just carbon soot which is harmless. 100,000,000 years from now all that carbon will turn into diamonds!

Won't they simply use the current diesel engine they put in european spec Wranglers today and add smog equipment?

Having owned diesel pickups I won't be in any hurry for a diesel Wrangler. The new 3.6 Pentastar has more than enough power and really good fuel economy. All this and thousands less in purchase price, lower priced fuel, much better drivability, less smell in my garage at startup, no oily mess at fill up time and lower maintenance. Modern gas engines are great.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Won't they simply use the current diesel engine they put in european spec Wranglers today and add smog equipment?

Having owned diesel pickups I won't be in any hurry for a diesel Wrangler. The new 3.6 Pentastar has more than enough power and really good fuel economy. All this and thousands less in purchase price, lower priced fuel, much better drivability, less smell in my garage at startup, no oily mess at fill up time and lower maintenance. Modern gas engines are great.

No. The euro version is the 2.8 4 banger. Us Americans like our beef with extra gravy. :D

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

There is no smell on a modern diesel. If you mod a JK (not even to Moby's level) but with bumpers, winch, tires, armor, roof rack, etc, you can easily get it above 6000lbs. Add 4 adults and luggage, and you can be pushing 7K. A diesel will be able to move the bulk MUCH easier.

We test drove a 2013 GMC with the Duramax diesel. They still stink at startup. I started the thing and opened the garage door just as my wife was opening the door to the house and the diesel odor blew right into the house. The test drive ended right there for my wife and I dropped the truck off at the dealer. If they can get that fixed with the next new diesels I'm interested for my tow vehicle. My Jeep weighs 5,300 lbs and the 3.6 is plenty of power without all of the diesel engine issues.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
We test drove a 2013 GMC with the Duramax diesel. They still stink at startup. I started the thing and opened the garage door just as my wife was opening the door to the house and the diesel odor blew right into the house. The test drive ended right there for my wife and I dropped the truck off at the dealer. If they can get that fixed with the next new diesels I'm interested for my tow vehicle. My Jeep weighs 5,300 lbs and the 3.6 is plenty of power without all of the diesel engine issues.

I can't comment on that motor, but my cousin has a BMW X5 diesel, and there is absolutely zero smell of any kind.

Top Bottom