ARB fridge freezer size

Atch

I'm starting to do a little research on these fridges and am curious what size everyone is running. The price difference is pretty minimal considering how expensive the smaller one is. Does anyone wish they would've bought the other size?

Wizard

I run a 47 ltr ARB fridge.

If you only keep 6 or 8 cans/bottles of drink in the fridge and replace each cold drink you take out with a hot one, it's more than big enough for drinks and food, for a few nights/days away. Unless you're real thirsty or a big eater.

I chose the 47 ltr more for its external size than anything, as the 60 ltr fridge takes up a lot of precious room in the back.

ARB 47 ltr :- EXTERNAL DIMENSIONS H508mm x W380mm x D705mm

ARB 60 ltr :- EXTERNAL DIMENSIONS H428mm x W450mm x D845mm

Last edited:

Ldogg

I was looking at these a little bit earlier. Anyone run one of these in a 2 door with the rear seat up in the tailgate area? I was going to measure the area to see if the smaller one would fit.

Whiskey River

I just finished my slide today and got it all installed. 37 Quart. Went with the smaller one based on the height as once I install me cargo basket in the rear there would not have been enough room. Should do good for a few days supplies at a time.
Slide1.jpg Slide2.jpg Slide3.jpg

Serg5000

How many people will this fridge serve. One or two, maybe the small one. More than that. Maybe the 47 quart is best. Just consider how many it will serve. How long trips will be. Stuff like that. Price is so small as far as difference it shouldn't matter.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
I have the 47 quart and I keep about 5 days of good food in there for 2 people. I just add sodas and beer a little at time to get them cold.

Cheech

I know this fridge draws low amps, but has anybody had any issues with it draining the battery? How long can it be run before you would have a problem starting up a jeep? Wondering if this would be good for a longer camping trip(about a week)

Serg5000

I know this fridge draws low amps, but has anybody had any issues with it draining the battery? How long can it be run before you would have a problem starting up a jeep? Wondering if this would be good for a longer camping trip(about a week)

I have personally run mine for three days without starting up our jeep only to find it fire right up.
The ARB fridge has a built in shut off when your battery gets to 11 volts. Something like that. It allows your battery to recover then will start itself back up. Our fridge has the outer cover on it. We also installed a Sears diehard Platinum series battery. This is our third year issue free. The trick is to pre-cool the fridge before use. We load it up the day before we leave so it can get to temp on 110 A/C from the house outlet. So when you leave all it does is maintain.

A week camp trip would be no problem. And if you need the peace of mind. Just fire your jeep up every other day. However. I would consider updating your battery if you haven't yet.

Serg5000

That's a booster. I don't think it would run it at all. To use the standard plug like at a home, you need 110volts A/C. I just read that the unit offers house hold power. Not sure how but ok. My opinion would be not to use this to power the fridge.
If you already have that jump pack. Just use it if your vehicle battery suffers from the fridge drawing it to low.

Last edited:

Serg5000

If your serious about getting the ARB fridge. I would suggest calling ARB and asking them about using that pack. They have awesome customer service. Either way I feel using the pack to power the fridge is a bad idea.

Wizard

Thanks for your thoughts, do you think something like this would be able to run it for a while?
http://m.canadiantire.ca/mt/www.can...er+Nautilus+Battery+Pack,+800+A.jsp?locale=en

The boost pack is only listed as having 33 amp hours of storage. I used a Waeco RAPS36 battery pack for a couple of trips successfully. This pack was only rated at 36 amp hours, but I wired it in so that the fridge run off the battery pack all the time, and the pack was charging when ever the vehicle was running. These trips weren't extended stay trips, but more travel during the day, camp overnight trips.

Because the fridge ran off the battery pack overnight, I didn't have to worry about waking up with a flat start battery, although with the low battery shut off on the ARB fridge this shouldn't be a worry anyway.

http://www.waeco.com.au/products5.asp?id=259&catId=57&subCatId=60&subCatId2=71

I'm currently running my fridge off my start battery, and although I haven't done many trips like this yet, so long as I do a bit of driving each day, I can't see it being a problem.

I'm hoping to eventually fit a 100-120 AH AGM auxiliary battery in the back to help with extended stays.

Last edited:

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
I also run mine for 2days with the Diehard platinum battery and I don't have the overcoat for the fridge!

Top Bottom