Help! Any advice on portable air compressors

PilotJK

I'm looking into a reliable portable air compressor. An onboard system is above my current budget. I have read online some mixed reviews on Vivair and Q Industries portable units. I'm leaning towards Vivair, but not sure. I'm a newbie and that says it all. :blush:

Happy 4th of July!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, if you had the budget and don't already have a winch, I would of highly recommended a WARN PowerPlant. I've been using one on my big white JK for over 6 years now and it still is works great! Another great option is an ARB compressor that you can install under your hood. I have run one of them before too and they work well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Can the powerplant be used for lockers aswell as air tools amd airing up your tires?

I suppose it is possible to plumb a PowerPlant for use of a locker but really, I think it would be more trouble than it's worth. ARB offers very affordable small under the hood compressors that do a great job and comes with a very easy to plug and play wiring harness that makes it worth every penny.

You can use air tools with the PowerPlant but it's kind of useless unless you have a tank to go with it.

Showroom

I went with the viair 440p. I've filled 2 sets of 35s and a set of 37s one after another without overheating and shutting down. The head does get super hot but its designed to run that way. It has a lower duty cycle but higher volume so you will fill tires faster. If you want to add a tank it still has a max working pressure of 150 psi so that's plenty form an impact gun

TiciTaci

Banned
I got the Smittybilt for $80 and it's really good for the money. Fills us faster than my buddy's VIAIR but it does get pretty hot. Still for the price, I've had it for 4 months now and it's been great.

Top Bottom