Trans Vent Tube on a 6 speed

alpinhi

I have read on here in few places about people worried about getting there 6 speed underwater. I am curious because I have had a number of TJ's and YJ's that were manual and have never had any issue's getting them in deep water. I am going to look for the breather and run it up higher but other than that I shouldn't have any problems, right?:idontknow:
Any info would be great, thanks!

Tranquillity

Yeah I heard of it too, and a friend of mine "clogged" his. It happened from going back and forth in a muddy hole... Best way to avoid this is to avoid opening the clutch as much as possible since the water get sucked up and the sand as well... And keep in mind that if you're stalled you can start the engine without touching the clutch (Accordingly that you're on 4 low)

Also when I get back from these kind of trails I wash up those vent holes to clear them as clear as possible.

alpinhi

Yeah I heard of it too, and a friend of mine "clogged" his. It happened from going back and forth in a muddy hole... Best way to avoid this is to avoid opening the clutch as much as possible since the water get sucked up and the sand as well... And keep in mind that if you're stalled you can start the engine without touching the clutch (Accordingly that you're on 4 low)

Also when I get back from these kind of trails I wash up those vent holes to clear them as clear as possible.

When you say your friend clogged his I assume you mean the vent tube. Hopefully rerouting the tube will prevent that issue. I guess Im wondering what is so different about this trans. I had a NV3550 in my TJ and I had a 6 speed in my LJ Rubicon. The TJ had a snorkel and all the vent tubes were run up except for the trans. There were plenty of times I would have to grab the next gear in a mud hole to keep forward momentum and I never had any issue's with contaminated trans fluid.I generally dont shift in high water because of the back pressure thats put on the exhasut Sorry about all this, I'm asking so I don't end up stranded somewhere.

Tranquillity

I don't know about a vent tube on the transmission? Maybe are you talking about the breather hose on the differential? If so, it is not what I was talking about. I'm no mechanic though, have some basic but nothing much. Anyway, what I was referring as vent holes on the transmission was these opening that you can see on the upper right corner of the picture. That is what my friend "clogged" (poor choice of word I have made there) ... It's just that sand and pretty much anything small entered his transmission and it made one hell of grinding sounds. Luckily he got it covered by warranty and that's where we learned that auto trans was better for going into swamp hole since it is completely sealed.

main.php

About the breather hose, it is something that I will look into eventually. As I would like to try my snorkel the way it should be, I will need to waterproof my rig properly. The snorkel alone isn't enough.

alpinhi

Haha, I think we confused each other. From what I have seen the auto trans is not completely sealed but the manual is. This is why my question came up originally about water and mud getting into a manual. Just from personal experience I have never had any contaminants in a manual. I have however helped buddies drain and flush there autos that have filled up with water. I understand the breathers. My TJ had a snorkel, I rerouted the diff breathers and the breather on the T-case. I also routed the vent off the distributer. I was in water up to my hood a number of times with no issue's. This is what confuses me, I have never heard of a manual getting water in it until now. Im going to climb all around the Jeep tomorrow to see whats up. I know the t-case breather is short and should be routed up regardless if I have a snorkel or not. That may be a project for this weekend since we are headed to Colorado on Fri. Hopefully I didn't make it more confusing, just trying to understand.
Travis
P.S. Ill look at the pic when I get home. Its to small on my phone.

Sent from my phone, please excuse typos.

Last edited:
Top Bottom