Black Rock Desert Nevada Exploration

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Far in the northwest corner of Nevada, there's a remote stretch of desert that hasn't seen a whole lot of change since early emigrants started crossing it on the Applegate Trail back in the 1800's and really, long before that as well. This area is known as the Black Rock Desert and while some may be familiar with its extensive playa and the Burning Man Festival that it hosts every year, it once sat at the bottom of an enormous ancient body of water known as, Lake Lahontan. For this trip, we topped off our tank in the small town of Gerlach and spent the better part of the day and over 160 miles all on dirt exploring tall canyons, historic sites, hot springs, wonderful geology and endless playa before calling it a day. Here are some pics from our trip, I hope you enjoy.

Heading north on Highway 447...
main.php

Originally, our plan was to make a stop over at Pyramid Lake and check out the Stone Mother but unfortunately, we found that we were about 2 years too late - totally SUCKS!!
main.php

Disappointed, we continued our trek north but had to make a stop to pose for a pic at Snoopy Rock...
main.php

attachment.php

I just love the spirited cattle crossing signs out in Nevada. The ones out in California look like they're on valium...
main.php

Welcome to the Center of the Known Universe!! Oh, it's also our last chance for gas. Beyond this point, you're totally on your own...
main.php

Making a quick stop for a picnic lunch and to read up on some of the local history...
main.php

Checking out some of the hip happenin establishments in town...
main.php

Paying our respects to some of the early residents...
main.php

One of the only headstones or, should I say, headboards that you can still make out writing on...
main.php

We were hoping to check out the Great Boiling Springs, a hot springs that got its name from none other than Captain John Fremont but, it turns out that it's on private land and trespassers aren't welcome...
main.php

If you've never been out along the old emigrant trails that cross through the west, there are cool markers left by a non-profit organization called Emigrant Trails West that have quotes early settlers made regarding various locations along the way like this...
main.php

Working our way up Leadville Canyon...
main.php

A final map and warning sign erected by the BLM to inform travelers of just how far and remote you are from anything...
main.php

Endless miles of dirt roads ahead...
main.php

Pouring through some old maps, I had once seen there was a petrified forest out in this area with one stump having a diameter 20' across. Needless to say, we had to go looking for it and this is what we found.
main.php

Here is a marker dedicated to the man who worked so hard to preserve fossilized forests just like this in the State of Nevada - George W. Lund. As if it needs to be said, please leave this area as you found it - DO NOT take any petrified wood from this area. There are other areas nearby where it is legal to collect.
main.php

I can't even begin to tell you how frustrating it is to see these amazing treasures caged up like this especially being that a part of me totally understands why they are...
main.php

I've seen fine examples of petrified trees on the ground but, I have never seen one with as much still standing as this...
main.php

Walking to the protected preserve, we found a host of other smaller petrified tree stumps...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Still looking so much like wood, it's sometimes hard to imagine that these are all stone...
main.php

main.php

On the other side of the preserve, there's another cage that protects a very large stump. With temps soaring in the triple digits and situated in an arid landscape, it's hard to believe that this area was once home to a forest of Giant Sequoias...
main.php

main.php

More pics below...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Continuing north, we made our way up into the Smokey Valley...
main.php

On the northern end of the Smokey Valley, we came upon the lovely and lush Little High Rock Canyon...
main.php

Taking a hike up the canyon...
main.php

Making a stop to check out the Little High Rock Hilton...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

A view of the fine accommodations...
main.php

Some clouds offering some shelter from the intense sun...
main.php

Pushing further north, we decided to skip High Rock Canyon due to time constraints but, made a stop over at an old homestead situated by the dried up High Rock Lake...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Parked out in the middle of High Rock Lake...
main.php

Working our way east through Fly Creek, a part of the original Applegate Emigrant Trail...
main.php

main.php

Coming out of the canyon and into Soldier Meadow...
main.php

One of many creeks that we came across that are being fed by hot springs in the area...
main.php

Pulling up to Steven's Camp, an old cabin out in Soldier Meadow that is now a designated campground with a vault toilet...
main.php

main.php

The accommodations inside were actually pretty nice...
main.php

main.php

As if we didn't already know how far we were from civilization - I think we'll take the risk...
main.php

Pulling along side the shores of Mud Meadow Reservoir to cool off a bit...
main.php

main.php

It's a little hard to see but, there were a bunch of really big white pellicans out in the water...
main.php

Heading south along the Applegate Emigrant Trail...
main.php

main.php

Looking across the hard and crusty alkali marsh bed toward the Black Rock Range...
main.php

View looking west...
main.php

Driving across the grain of the alluvial fans, the trail often disappeared into a deep cutouts and rocky fields just big enough to substantially slow down your pace.
main.php

Pulling into the old Hardin City town site...
main.php

main.php

All that's left of the town...
main.php

Further south, we entered an area with the following warning signs...
main.php

Pulling up to Double Hot Springs...
main.php

Warning signs posted by the BLM - Take a dip and and die...
main.php

main.php

One of the 2 pools is a tad cooler...
main.php

Shots of the Double Hot Springs...
main.php

main.php

It looks inviting but what you can't see is that in spite of it being 108 deg F outside, there is still steam rising from the waters...
main.php

Crossing the Black Rock Desert playa on our way back to civilization...
main.php

main.php

To give you an idea just how big this playa is, we were driving across it at 80+ MPH for over 10 minutes and still saw this ahead of us...
main.php

And this behind us...
main.php

At almost 9 PM with the sun finally down behind the mountains and the highway just starting to come into view on the horizon...
main.php

I hope you enjoyed following us as we explored the northwest corner of Nevada. If you're ever in the area, I would highly recommend that you take some time to explore it but, you had better make sure to pack plenty of water and be prepared for anything because out there, you're really on your own.

LoPo

Caught the Bug
Cool trip out to the Playa. I need to do more exploring out that way.

I recognized Pyramid Hwy when you posted this on Facebook the other day. You drove right by 5-6 trails in our area that are fairly short but fun.

Thank you Eddi and Cindy for the great photos and write up. I would love to be able to go on an overland trip with you as the guide.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Jeez you guys are like a history book and a tour guide rolled into one. Epic documentation and thanks for adding yet another destination to my list.:thumb:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Black Rock Desert Nevada

Thanks for sharing "Ed."

Great photos and spectacular views. Seriously makes me want to take a road trip.

BlackRockBurner

Black Rock Desert Nevada

The playa at 3am is amazing! It's hard to wrap your head around that the playa was the bottom of a vast inland sea. The water line was hundreds of feet overhead. For future adventurers: when you travel thru the small towns- do not go any faster than the posted speed limits.

Top Bottom