PSC Bumper... Rattle can or powder coat?

JK'AJUN

Well I've decided to skip out on getting the Smittybilt SRC Stinger and get a Poison Spyder Brawler Lite w/Stinger...

My question is, should I have a shop powercoat it, or should I just spray it with rattle can bed liner? And would having it Line-Xed add too much weight?

phillypete

My vote is rustolium bedliner in a can. It goes on super easy. Much easier than regular spray paint.

The best part is when (not if) you scratch it you can just give it a quick touch up in the driveway.

JK'AJUN

Thats what I was thinking... I'm just worried about rust. My headache rack that I had on my work truck came powder coated and it rusted in no time. The paint was even bubbling.

dis_dis

Banned
My vote is rustolium bedliner in a can. It goes on super easy. Much easier than regular spray paint.

The best part is when (not if) you scratch it you can just give it a quick touch up in the driveway.

I second that ... it's what I used on mine and its much cheaper than powder coating it ... plus if you ride like me you'll have spots quite soon :)

Bootman83

Just did mine a week or so ago. Spray it on. I went with satin black rustolium. Bit of advice if you spray, sand (I used a extra or ultra fine sandpaper sponge just used it lightly), clean, clean, clean again (I used acetone). Self etching primer and then paint. Just monitor how you're going to rotate it so the paint doesnt stick to whatever surface you're doing it on and make sure you wait those long hours for final drying. Should come out good. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1373506675.597899.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1373506690.028582.jpg

rinkishjk

I used spray bedliner on mine also and it's held up great! Was easy. Used self etching primer, and a few cans of rustoleum truck bed coating. My grille is also done with it.

Attachments

• 1373508686617.jpg
    1373508686617.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 162

Rooster76

I have that bumper at the powder coaters (indy powder coating) right now. They say it will be $150-175 depending on how much sand blasting they do. He also is using a zinc rich primer that is supposed to help from bubbling and rust underneath. I went with flat black smooth. He said the wrinkle texture finishes gather dust and look bad after awhile.

Touch ups worry me a bit, and I almost went rattle can bedliner. I don't really love the sandpaper like finish when cleaning. For minor touch ups I plan on using Rustoleum Rust Reformer (its flat black). I've used it on my powder coated Ace rock-rails. I spray a good amount onto a paper towel. Then I wipe it over the scrape. Then I wipe it again with a dry towel to remove the parts not in the crevices.

phillypete

When I did my rails I cleaned all the grease off with detergent and let them dry. Then I hit them with some steal wool just to make sure I got all the grease. Then came the primer. I did rough sand any imperfections out of the primer. The bedliner goes on thick and fast, so just move quickly and it it with several coats. Sanding the bedliner is very difficult because it is so tough, but it doesn't really need it.

After first it was really rough, but it seems to have toned its left down quite a bit.

It cleans up just fine. Don't expect to spray it off though, your going to have to hit is with a soapy sponge. That's how I do my whole jeep anyhow.

jrylb73

Did the same on mine used the rustoleum black hammered, lot easier on touch up's.

Attachments

• 1062676_10200628059081660_744421365_n.jpg
    1062676_10200628059081660_744421365_n.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20130710_155810_434.jpg
    IMG_20130710_155810_434.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 121
Top Bottom