Vulcan Mine Camping Trip

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Over the weekend, we got a chance to hook up with some really old friends of ours, Matt and Heather (aka doojer & doojette) and do some camping out in the desert or, what some like to call, "overlanding" :D Being that this was the first time they've had a chance to go wheeling in a couple of years, we decided to run a portion of the Old Mojave Road starting from Afton Canyon and then work our way over to the Kelso Sand Dunes where we intended to setup camp. As luck would have it, a lot of the old camping area had been fenced off with signs specifically stating NO camping was allowed and so, we headed up into the Providence Mountains and found a much nicer home for the night. Anyway, here are some pics from our weekend trip and reunion with old friends. I hope you enjoy.

Doug, Moochie, Cindy and I meeting up with our old friends Matt and Heather at Bravo Burger...
main.php

Airing down before heading up into Afton Canyon...
main.php

main.php

Shot of us on the other side of Afton Canyon after we jammed through it...
main.php

Crusing through the dunes on the western edge of the Bristol Dry Lake...
main.php

Stopping over at the Travelers Monument to see what happend there in 1897...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Looking east down the Old Mojave Road...
main.php

Back on pavement, we decided to make a stop over at the beautifully restored Kelso Train Station...
main.php

Shot of our JK's from an upstairs room...
main.php

Checking out the old Post Office across the street...
main.php

Having some lunch before heading out...
main.php

Unfortunately, our plans to camp at the Kelso Sand Dunes was a bust. Over the last year, the Preserve decided to fence off and restrict a lot of the area that had been designated for camping. So, we decided to make our way up into the Providence Mountains to look for a new camp site near the Vulcan Mine...
main.php

Not nearly as much water down in the old Kaiser Steel iron mine as we've seen in the past...
main.php

First time we've seen the beautiful Scented Penstemon's in this area...
main.php

main.php

Some sunset shots Cindy and Matt took...
main.php

main.php

Cool fish eye shot of the Moon and landscape beyond that Matt took...
main.php

Cooking up some steak for dinner...
main.php

Warming up by a lovely fire...
main.php

HONEY TIME - CHEERS!!
main.php

Having some fun with Doug's lazer...
main.php

Looking out across our campsite at dawn...
main.php

Lots of Engelmann Hedgehog Catus was in bloom in the area...
main.php

Goodmorning!! View from the inside of Matt & Heather's tent...
main.php

Heather cooking up some grub...
main.php

Tessa had been playing really hard the day before and decided to just chill in the warm sun...
main.php

Stopping to say hello to the local inhabitants as we made our way back to the highway...
main.php

A sad reminder of a place that we've always enjoyed...
main.php

Time to air up...
main.php

main.php

Matt and Heather having some fun while waiting for air to be available...
main.php

Gasing up in Ludlow before heading on home was a pain thanks to a swarm of Harley's coming back from a big event in Laughlin...
main.php

If you'd like to see all the pics from our trip, simply click on the link below:

Vulcan Mine Camping Trip

A BIG thanks needs to go out to Matt for allowing us to use his awesome fish eye lens pics. :thumb:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Sweet! Looks like a fun little weekend trip. Being able to do these types of little adventures are part of the reason we decided to get a Jeep.

DMFNJ24601

Very sad to see Mitchel Caverns closed. Such a great place. Got fond memories of going there with my mom & dad on one of the billion camping trips we did when I was a kid.

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing.

Rascal Rubi

We picked up a rock on the Mojave Trail but never finished the trail to add to that monument! Looks like you all had a nice time. ;) Thanks so much for sharing the pictures, they are awesome! I want to get some camping in before it gets to hot to enjoy it!! Hint Hint Don!! :standing wave::standing wave::standing wave:

Hammerman

easy cruise

After all the events it looks like a good break from hard wheeling. my kind of cool down camping trip.

Mechengineer2

Great photos! Love the sunset shots as well as the black and white shot in the middle of the road toward the end. The fish eye lens does add a nice touch. :thumb:

Drumr90

Nice pics and seems like a nice trip. Also i might add my two sences in. Rubicat looks 1 million times better with a soft top.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
Awesome pics, the Fish eye pics looks amazing! The trail looked fun too, defenintly one I have always been wanting to take. :thumb:

asbury1031

Looks awesome

Id love to go camping like that, it looks like so much fun and just to do some simple wheeling during it would be awesome. And i love the new JK it looks awesome. Nice to see it getting built up.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sweet! Looks like a fun little weekend trip. Being able to do these types of little adventures are part of the reason we decided to get a Jeep.

excuse me, it's called overlanding :rolleyes2:;):D

Agreed, Lucky you, we get such a slim window to camp out in Vegas, Either way to hot or way to cold...

yeah, it's just about time to say good bye to the desert and start heading back up to the mountains again.

I'm bummed I missed this.. :(

Good pics!

yeah, we missed you guys too. i got your message late but, it's a good thing i didn't give you coordinates as if you did come out late, we wouldn't have been there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Very sad to see Mitchel Caverns closed. Such a great place. Got fond memories of going there with my mom & dad on one of the billion camping trips we did when I was a kid.

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing.

it really is sad and i too have fond memories of it since i was a kid. word has it that there are plans underway to get it to open again. hopefully it works out.

We picked up a rock on the Mojave Trail but never finished the trail to add to that monument! Looks like you all had a nice time. ;) Thanks so much for sharing the pictures, they are awesome! I want to get some camping in before it gets to hot to enjoy it!! Hint Hint Don!! :standing wave::standing wave::standing wave:

just saw some of your pics from big bear - looks like you all had a great time. :cool:

After all the events it looks like a good break from hard wheeling. my kind of cool down camping trip.

and believe me, we really needed the cool down.

Great photos! Love the sunset shots as well as the black and white shot in the middle of the road toward the end. The fish eye lens does add a nice touch. :thumb:

yeah, i think we need ourselves one now :crazyeyes:

Nice pics and seems like a nice trip. Also i might add my two sences in. Rubicat looks 1 million times better with a soft top.

LOL!! well, if it were up to us, we wouldn't have even bought the hard top but, that's how rubicat came and so, we took it.

Top Bottom