Trip to Baily CO - Colorado Springs

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
So the family and I left the Dallas area and made it to Raton NM today. Long drive but the first leg is done.

Tomorrow we plan to pick up I-25 and head to Pueblo where we will turn off on 50 and pick up Phantom Canyon road. It's supposed to be a really nice drive. We will turn off in Victor we will take Gold Camp Road and visit Helen Hunt Falls then take Old Stage road and come out in Colorado Springs. From there we will head for a drive through the Garden of the Gods if time allows. We might hit Rampart Range road if we can but we will have to see.

We will be in Baily for a week and hope to hit some of the trails in Area 5 of the Charles A. Wells book of trails.

I'm not sure it will all work out like this but if any of you are in the area or know the area please give me any information you can about the area.

I'd really like to do a run through Red-Cone with the family because it is so awesome at the top but I don't want to run that trail alone even though I've done it once before.

If anyone is close and wants to run some trails shoot me a PM. I know some of you live in Colorado Springs and Denver area so let me know. It'd be cool to meet some of you.

I will also be in the Ouray area Sept. 14th - 22nd so if your up for a meet let me know.

:beer:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
So we left TX Thursday for a family trip to Baily CO and caught a few easy trails on the way up. We drove up Phantom Canyon Rd. yesterday and then headed up Gold Camp Road to CO Springs. Nice views and cool history. Here are a few pics.

Attachments

• IMG_9149.jpg
    IMG_9149.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_9117.jpg
    IMG_9117.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_9106.jpg
    IMG_9106.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_9073.jpg
    IMG_9073.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_9069.jpg
    IMG_9069.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_9066.jpg
    IMG_9066.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_9057.jpg
    IMG_9057.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
We ran a few more easy passes today with a trip to Breckenridge. Took one nice side trail that was pretty fun for me... the wife was a bit edgy :cheesy:

This is her first REAL Jeep trip.

Pics below.

The view from my wife's dad's house where we are staying.
IMG_9188.jpg

Slaughterhouse Gulch is just down the Road so we ran that Sunday. It was rated Difficult but it wasn't that bad.
IMG_9196.jpg

IMG_9201.jpg

IMG_9234.jpg

IMG_9235.jpg

IMG_9236.jpg

IMG_9237.jpg

IMG_9239.jpg

IMG_9233.jpg

IMG_9241.jpg

C130 Flying over the pass.
IMG_9244.jpg

Brand new cones growing at high elevation.
IMG_9282.jpg

IMG_9316.jpg

IMG_9303.jpg

IMG_9339.jpg

IMG_9353.jpg

IMG_9355.jpg

IMG_9359.jpg

IMG_9375.jpg

Last edited:

Ldogg

Great pics! Looks like you guys had a great time! We are doing phantom canyon this weekend I think. Love colorado.... :D

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Great pics! Looks like you guys had a great time! We are doing phantom canyon this weekend I think. Love colorado.... :D

Phantom Canyon has some really neat features! The road has some pretty washboarded areas so you probably want to air down if you can air back up.

Ldogg

Will do. It may be Sunday afternoon though, gotta coach a youth baseball game mid day Saturday.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Here are a few more pics.

This is what happens when you try to roll over a car and get stuck, then have to get winched off. The hood of the car grabbed this guys trackbar and toasted it. It also cut his hydraulic line to his PSC steering assist. The guys at Trail Jeeps were nice enough to give him a spare they had laying around. I'll try to upload the video of a successful car smash.
IMG_2918.jpg

Our pic with Mel. He and Lisa are very nice people, it was a pleasure meeting them!
IMG_2920.jpg

Top Bottom