Warn winch help

FrankenJeeper

I just got a used warn winch for basically nothing at all, and I was hoping some of you here could shed some light for me about it. Ill attach some pictures for y'all to look at to hopefully be able to tell me about it. Thanks in advance!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1374091290.797614.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1374091309.565717.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1374091328.835242.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1374091342.945366.jpg

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

FrankenJeeper

I was told it was an M8000, and it's missing the control box that had all of the solenoids in it, but since it was basically free I'm hoping to be able to buy missing parts and install it on my jeep.

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Wizard

To me it looks to be a Warn M8000, as I was told by Warn Support recently that the motor ID tag on an M8000 should have the number 16543 or 25314 on it, and yours looks to have the 16543.

I also picked up an (early 1980's) 8000 lb Warn a couple of years back, which was in poor condition. I stripped it all down, serviced it, and put it back together with a bit of paint, and it has been pulling me out of trouble ever since.

I did ask the Warn Support staff about replacing the motor on mine with one of the newer 4.6 or 6.0 hp motors and was told to stick with the current replacement motor p/n 77893 which is rated 4.8 hp, but it does not have the same high torque numbers as the 4.6 hp motor. Apparently the construction of the M8000 won't handle the higher torque of the latest motors.

I have nothing but praise for the Warn Support staff, as the person I e-mailed was more than happy to answer all my questions a while back, so don't hesitate to send them an e-mail.

My winch has been fitted to a Nissan Patrol for the last three years, and did a great job when needed. I have now sold this vehicle, so pulled the winch off to put on my new JK. It has never let me down. I do run a snatch block on tougher pulls to ease the load on the winch.

Hope this helps.

Before

WinchStripDown004640x480.jpg

After

FinishedWinch006640x480.jpg

Last edited:

Wizard

Would you believe I've just been given another Warn M8000, which is also missing a few bits, but it'll get the same treatment as the other, and will soon be looking good.

I also replaced the bulky (4 x solenoid) Warn solenoid pack on my winch with an Albright solenoid (DC88-499PL), which are nice and small to mount out of the way, and are very reliable. I'm sure you will be able to pick up a cheap replacement solenoid pack in the US. If you were a bit closer I'd gladly give you the two I have sitting at home here.

This is all that controls my winch now. No bulky solenoid pack.

IMG_1079_zpsf2dcec72.jpg

FrankenJeeper

Would you believe I've just been given another Warn M8000, which is also missing a few bits, but it'll get the same treatment as the other, and will soon be looking good.

I also replaced the bulky (4 x solenoid) Warn solenoid pack on my winch with an Albright solenoid (DC88-499PL), which are nice and small to mount out of the way, and are very reliable. I'm sure you will be able to pick up a cheap replacement solenoid pack in the US. If you were a bit closer I'd gladly give you the two I have sitting at home here.

This is all that controls my winch now. No bulky solenoid pack.

IMG_1079_zpsf2dcec72.jpg

Does the factory warn controller fit in your new solenoid or did you have to buy a new one?

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Wizard

Would you be willing to ship them on my dime?

I can't see why not. My problem with doing this is that I couldn't guarantee either of them are still working. If you are still keen I can send through some photos and you can make a decision off them. Send a PM if still interested. The offer is still there, they are free if you want them and are prepared to pay for postage.

Does the factory warn controller fit in your new solenoid or did you have to buy a new one?

I can still control the new winch solenoid with the factory controller, I just use a trailer plug fitted on the bullbar and controller rather than the standard connection.

On my Jeep I'm going to fit an in-cab winch control switch, as well as switches on the bullbar, so the controller is not required. I'll still have a plug on the bullbar if I need to use the controller.

These are the winch control switches I had in my previous 4by. The red missile switch is an isolator switch so you don't operate the winch by accident, and the second toggle switch operates the winch.

WinchControlsSwitches005640x480.jpg

This is the type of trailer plug I use on the Warn controller.

82121.png
82022.png

FrankenJeeper

I can't see why not. My problem with doing this is that I couldn't guarantee either of them are still working. If you are still keen I can send through some photos and you can make a decision off them. Send a PM if still interested. The offer is still there, they are free if you want them and are prepared to pay for postage.

I can still control the new winch solenoid with the factory controller, I just use a trailer plug fitted on the bullbar and controller rather than the standard connection.

On my Jeep I'm going to fit an in-cab winch control switch, as well as switches on the bullbar, so the controller is not required. I'll still have a plug on the bullbar if I need to use the controller.

These are the winch control switches I had in my previous 4by. The red missile switch is an isolator switch so you don't operate the winch by accident, and the second toggle switch operates the winch.

WinchControlsSwitches005640x480.jpg

This is the type of trailer plug I use on the Warn controller.

82121.png
82022.png

PM sent

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

bluewave

I agree with above we are a warn dealer and have had nothing but the best service out of them forever. I will be a supporting dealer until we die or they do! lol, they cost a little more but ive never had one die besides broken cables. if you need any help with it let me know. We keep quite a few parts in stock.

ill give you $100 bucks for it ;)

Top Bottom