clunk in the pedals

Cole Trickle

Afternoon

my 2013 with 4,000 miles on it started having clunky pedal-itus while going over steep bumps at speed. Nothing in the steering wheel and it dosent get worse while turning. (no death wobble but my alingment is off due to a bent tie rod from the last offroading trip)

I mostly get it over man hole covers or rouch road or those plates that they put over the holes there digging..

I verified all my my arm bolts and trac bar bolts were still torqued to spec.

I have read some thinks about the steering box and perhaps a steering sector shaft busing coming loose?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Brandin

OscarMike2.0

I had this same issue. Brought the jeep to the stealership and they told me it was normal. I dont believe that is normal at all but after arguing for 15 minutes with the manager I decided to just let it go because it was going nowhere. :mad:

ScoobyCarolanNC

I had this same issue. Brought the jeep to the stealership and they told me it was normal. I dont believe that is normal at all but after arguing for 15 minutes with the manager I decided to just let it go because it was going nowhere. :mad:

So does your jeep start off with no clunk when it's cold and then have it after you drive a while and it heats up? How long have you had it for? I'm just nervous that it'll get worse or pose a safety issue.

OscarMike2.0

So does your jeep start off with no clunk when it's cold and then have it after you drive a while and it heats up? How long have you had it for? I'm just nervous that it'll get worse or pose a safety issue.

Ive had the clunking for about 3 or 4 months now and no issues other than it annoying the hell out of me. Mine rattles when its warm and cold going over a bump or pothole.

ScoobyCarolanNC

See that's what's weird about mine (and some other folks') it doesn't start till she warms up & gets progressively worse. Part of me thinks its just normal jeep life (my first one) & the OCD part thinks my wheels are coming off. All my bushings are old (70k miles) but aren't dry rotted or cracked & everything seems pretty tight when I go at it with the torque wrench.

OscarMike2.0

See that's what's weird about mine (and some other folks') it doesn't start till she warms up & gets progressively worse. Part of me thinks its just normal jeep life (my first one) & the OCD part thinks my wheels are coming off. All my bushings are old (70k miles) but aren't dry rotted or cracked & everything seems pretty tight when I go at it with the torque wrench.

Thats wierd. I only have 20k on my jeep so most of the bushings are newish. I guess its just a jeep thing. I mean on the bright side there could be alot of worse things than an annoying pedal.

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
kit

there's a thread on clunkin' steering shafts somewhere and a kit to fix it.....seems the problem is under boot.

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
Yeah, I did that fix and shot a bunch of grease in there. It's way better, but not gone.

there is a kit out there somewhere that has a spring and two supports that you place on the steering column, this puts pressure on the joint and prevents the "clunk" (if its that).

onebuilder

I also have a 13 JKR with the 6sp manual and have a noise in the pedals. If I put my foot under the brake pedal and pull up when it occasionally makes the noise, it goes away temporarily. It has done it since new. I've read other threads about it, seems it's a Jeep thing.

ScoobyCarolanNC

there is a kit out there somewhere that has a spring and two supports that you place on the steering column, this puts pressure on the joint and prevents the "clunk" (if its that).

I just saw it on a site that sells stuff. Horrible customer service from what I hear so I don't feel like pissing $60 away yet. The idea is intriguing though.

ScoobyCarolanNC

I also have a 13 JKR with the 6sp manual and have a noise in the pedals. If I put my foot under the brake pedal and pull up when it occasionally makes the noise, it goes away temporarily. It has done it since new. I've read other threads about it, seems it's a Jeep thing.

You might just have loose clips I've read about. I'm going to try that next.

Cole Trickle

I don't think I ever re visited this. The bolts holding the master cylinder to the wall had become loose after installing a compressor bracket. I had them torqued appropriately but perhaps the vibration from the compressor caused the issue.

Blue Loctite fixed the problem and its been fine since.

Sc741

Yep! Same. Been that way a long time.

Top Bottom