Digital SLR

cdl

For all you camera buffs out there, I'm in the market for my first digital SLR camera. Any opinions on the Nikon D3200? Any help would be appreciated.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
It's a good beginner camera and will suit your needs for taking pictures of the jeep and such. If you use it a lot you will probably outgrow it. I use mine just on the trail really and have no plans of getting another right in the near future.

jkjurny

If you get into it and have the cash, it'll be more about the lenses than the body. Do a lot of research on how you plan on using your camera and how much money you're willing to spend (just like your Jeep). It's the lenses that make the difference and that'll determine whether you go Nikon, Canon, or another brand.

I have an older (first gen) Digital SLR (Pentax ist* D) that just doesnt cut it anymore and I have been looking at both the D3200 and the D5100. I really like some of the fancy features of the 5000 series like the flip monitor. But I do like the big 24 megapixels of the 3200. I think for the $$$ I moght go with the 3200 and get a GOOD 18-200 0r 28-300NIKKOR lens.

dis_dis

Banned
Keep in mind the more complicated the camera, the more features it would have ... I would recommend getting a beginners DSLR book to go with the camera too

Sent from my Nexus 4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Webe

I like the Sony NEX-5R or NEX 6. Get the 16-50mm lens and it will do an excellent job.

RUBI4US

If you get into it and have the cash, it'll be more about the lenses than the body. Do a lot of research on how you plan on using your camera and how much money you're willing to spend (just like your Jeep). It's the lenses that make the difference and that'll determine whether you go Nikon, Canon, or another brand.

What he said! :)

Here is a link to Digital Rev's comparison between quality lens/cheap body and cheap lens/quality body.

Humerous and informative!

I have a Canon Rebel and love it. But I am far from a pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk5IMmEDWH4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my Galaxy S3 on Wayalife mobile

Tackerdown

Banned
I have the d3100 and im happy with it. I also bought the Tamron 70_ 300mm that I'm not really pleased with . It's very gritty when zooming and the lens doesn't have the anti vibe feature. But im not a pro hense the beginner camera but its good enough for what I do and has the features to learn.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jkmadness

I have the d3100 and im happy with it. I also bought the Tamron 70_ 300mm that I'm not really pleased with . It's very gritty when zooming and the lens doesn't have the anti vibe feature. But im not a pro hense the beginner camera but its good enough for what I do and has the features to learn.

The pictures you posted from the RC run were awesome too, but you have to give Dee credit for that.... :)

Tackerdown

Banned
The pictures you posted from the RC run were awesome too, but you have to give Dee credit for that.... :)

This is true the Dee part I will tell her you said so, that will make her happy. Funny thing is the pics are at the lowest setting that the camera has. With the lens that came with the camera on the highest setting it does take very good pictures.

Krieger

I say go with Canon all the way. But I'm bias, that's what I've been using for years and its never failed me yet. Go with a 60d or a Rebel t3i they are a great starting point and also shoot great HD video, and you can find them in a kit package deal that comes with a few lenses and a bag. The other brand Nikon has the same package deal in their entry level camera. When it comes to these two brands its like Honda and Toyota its all about opinion.

Web Architect

I was a hard core Nikon guy. Started with Nikon F's, then FA, FM, N90s, D90, lost track. Sold it all three years ago when I was introduced to Olympus glass. My pics get published, my cameras weigh far less, and image quality is superior while requiring fewer mega pix (better on storage and processing). My OM-D EM5 has not disappointed since its purchase. Google it. Read the reviews. I ate a lot of crow when I switched. Never tasted better.

If your shooting NBA or Motocross, it won't be the best choice. I don't, so I'm happy.

StrizzyChris

Just got our first "real" camera in a Cannon Rebel T4i and LOVE IT! It is great and does all the work in obtaining a good pic while I fumble around like an idiot! But as mentioned I'd like to take a class on it to learn the capabilities and functions

Tackerdown

Banned
We have a Nikon d3000. It's a great camera but doesn't forgive as much shakiness as we would like.

Thats one drawback with the Nikon , you need to get a lens that has the vibe reduction cannon has it built in the camera.

Tackerdown

Banned
Thats one drawback with the Nikon , you need to get a lens that has the vibe reduction cannon has it built in the camera.
EDIT ; the d3100 doesn't have it the more expensive ones may.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I have a Nikon D7000 along with some nice lenses which I love....but literally never use :doh: which no one wants to buy lol

dis_dis

Banned

You might be thinking of Pentax. Canon has image stabilization built in the lenses as well

StrizzyChris

You might be thinking of Pentax. Canon has image stabilization built in the lenses as well

Yup...my cannon lens is the image stability lens. Can't speak for the Pentax though

Last edited:
Top Bottom