Transmission question...

bholder817

So I was out on Monday morning. I was coming down a trail in 4 lo. I stopped and put the Jeep in park and pulled the ebrake. I went to get out of the jeep and the jeep decided to keep moving. I was able to step on the brake before it moved to far.... I thought that the jeep being in park and with the ebrake pulled it would not move. But it did and it made some popping noises as it moved. Not loud pops but something very noticeable. Has anyone else had this happen to them. Should I be worried?

Tackerdown

Banned
If it wasnt in 4low good it will pop into N . Ive had a that happen while moving. For some reason I just didnt have it in 4low good enough I guess. It never happened since , im always sure to get it in gear now. Awful sounded did make.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I don't know why it would move, but the e-brake won't hold crap... I have a manual and have to be careful not to just pull the lever and bail. It's go to be set HARD and still isn't very strong. (I've cleaned and adjusted everything... it just sucks)

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I'm no pro but it might be possible that since you were on an incline it didn't go into park properly (not fully engaged). Next time you might try to pull the e-brake (assuming it is adjusted correctly) then still holding the foot brake put it in park and slowly release the foot brake. If you pull the e-brake first it might keep the pressure off the transmission so Park can engage easier.

Have you had any issues on slight inclines?

Just a thought.

GCM 2

Sounds like you had a version of what is known as "torque wrap" in the drive line. It can happen multiple ways, but basically the engine/transmission combo will be in a twisted position and cause shift linkage to bind and not completely seat in the shifter detents. It happens every time you accelerate or decelerate and is much more noticeable in manuals than in autos. Nothing really to worry about, it's part of learning to deal with the nuances of an off road vehicle :thumb:

Edit; the quickest fix was obviously to get the rig on flat ground, but if that does not work, simply putting it in reverse and backing up a few feet and then going forward again takes the load (wrap) put of the drive train

Last edited:
Top Bottom