DIY fab projects

Rebel JK

Being Relatively new to the Jeep "wayoflife" I am pretty inspired by the level of talent and experience of people on the forum.
For the guys out there that sometimes choose to not always go with over the counter bolt or weld on mods I would love to see some projects from mild to wild that everyone has come up with.

So guys lets see the brackets, gussets, supports etc! I'm looking for more some more projects to keep my Lincoln from collecting dust :)

Fridge81

I built my bumpers. They aren't really finished yet but they work!
1375039232460.jpg 1375039269858.jpg 1375039339935.jpg

I'm going to build my own sliders as well.

Sent from some trail, somewhere.

Fridge81

Thanks! I love fabricating my own stuff. No heavy duty shear though. Just the basics. Welder, tubing Bender, torches, chop saw and a grinder. Oh, and beer.

Rebel JK

Is that 1/4" on the front? What would you recomend for tow/ recovery points on the front? I need to do something with mine as the one the previous owner installed rubs tire at full tilt.

Fridge81

Yeah, its 1/4". For recovery points on it, I'm going cut some shackle mounts out of 3/4"or 1"plate and weld them onto the bumper inline with the frame rails. They will be plenty stout.

jhires

Just something simple so far. Mirror mounts for when my doors are off. Though I have to admit, I think I would have been better off to mount them on springs they shake so bad. Going to have to try something different.

WP_20130719_005.jpg

I made my own version of an sPOD... I call it a SwankPOD (My last name is Swank)
I did a write-up on it and posted on JKF before I joined here... Here is a link -> http://www.jk-forum.com/jk-write-ups-39/swankpod-diy-spod-my-last-name-swank-270966/

complete.jpg

complete_switches.jpg

wired_up.jpg

Rebel JK

Yeah, its 1/4". For recovery points on it, I'm going cut some shackle mounts out of 3/4"or 1"plate and weld them onto the bumper inline with the frame rails. They will be plenty stout.

Nice. I want to be able to throw a tow bar on my front points so Im looking at something like that too. You make cutting the 3/4"-1" plate sound pretty easy. You got the BIGASS torch or how are you going to cut it?

Fridge81

Dual purpose shackle/tow bar mounts would be cool. Tow bars are really easy to build.

I just have an old set of torches that got passed down to me. Cutting the big shit isn't that bad, you just need to be patient.

First off, wesome write-up and thanks for posting this! Second, are you related to any of the swanks from preble county? And lastly....OH!

Thanks, and your welcome.

To answer your question, I don't think so :thinking: It's a long story, but my father bailed on my mom... I don't know what the guy looks like or have any idea how many seeds he planted. It's all good though, Mom was a motor-head... Taught me to fish and took me to car shows. SHE ROCKED :rock:

and... I..O "High-OH"

TeamFaust

I made my own version of an sPOD... I call it a SwankPOD (My last name is Swank)
I did a write-up on it...

Well done, and appreciate the write-up. What size relays you use, looks like you have two different sizes (two smaller ones to your amber lights???)?

So basically when you ad an accessory you simply run the positive and negative to the box under the hood and connect those wires lead to a vacant terminal pair on the white terminal bar, yes?

Last edited:
Well done, and appreciate the write-up. What size relays you use, looks like you have two different sizes (two smaller ones to your amber lights???)?

The two smaller relays were an after thought from when I ordered the other relays and it is what the local parts store had. All are 30A. I built in two circuits that could be triggered by hot wires that are controlled by the CANBus. These are the amber switches. These are for my long-range spots, and reverse lights. The long-range spots can be turned on by either activating the stock high-beams, or by the switch. Same for the reverse lights (except they are activated by putting the Jeep in reverse or switch).

Truth-be-told, the ambers were supposed to be for the locker-bypasses. But my 11yr old son (whom I was teaching to solder) got confused on the order. I though about fixing it but in an odd way like the reminder of our time on the project.

(I'm thinking I should post the full write-up here rather than linking to it for those that aren't on JKF...)

Rebel JK

The two smaller relays were an after thought from when I ordered the other relays and it is what the local parts store had. All are 30A. I built in two circuits that could be triggered by hot wires that are controlled by the CANBus. These are the amber switches. These are for my long-range spots, and reverse lights. The long-range spots can be turned on by either activating the stock high-beams, or by the switch. Same for the reverse lights (except they are activated by putting the Jeep in reverse or switch).

Truth-be-told, the ambers were supposed to be for the locker-bypasses. But my 11yr old son (whom I was teaching to solder) got confused on the order. I though about fixing it but in an odd way like the reminder of our time on the project.

(I'm thinking I should post the full write-up here rather than linking to it for those that aren't on JKF...)

Love to see it here for those who arent hitting JkF.

Top Bottom