Ms. Nancy Lummen Lewis
Associate Administrator for Enforcement
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Recall Management Division (NVS-215)
Room: W48-302
1200 New Jersey Ave. SE
Washington, DC 20590
Dear Ms. Lewis:

Attached is Chrysler Group LLC's ("Chrysler") Defect Information Report, complying with the
requirements of 49 CFR Part 573, Defect and Noncompliance Reports, which contains details of a
potential safety related defect in vehicles.
Chrysler Group will conduct a voluntary safety recall to replace the power steering return tube
assembly and inspect the transmission oil cooler lines. The transmission oil cooler lines will either
have a protective sleeve added or the transmission oil cooler lines will be replaced on all affected
vehicles.
Sincerely,
Kristin J Kolodge

Enclosure: Defect Information Report for Chrysler Group LLC. Recall N28
cc: Frank Borris, NHTSA
Chrysler Group LLC I 800 Chrysler Drive I CIMS 482-00-91 I Auburn Hills, Ml USA I 48326-2757
13V-234
(4 pages)

DEFECT INFORMATION REPORT FOR CHRYSLER GROUP LLC
Page 1
Submission Date: June 4, 2013
573.6(c)(l): Manufacturer's Name, Brand Name
Chrysler Group LLC, Jeep
573.6( c )(2): Identification of Affected Vehicles
Make(s) Model(s) Model Inclusive Dates of
Year(s) Manufacture
Jeep Wrangler 2012-2013 2012MY Start of Production
-February 23, 2013

573.6(c)(2)(iv): Component manufacturer name, address, telephone number,
and country of origin:
N/A

573.6(c)(3): Potentially Affected Vehicle Population
180,131 (estimated)

573.6(c)(4): Percentage of Affected Vehicles
Unknown

573.6( c)(5): Description of Defect or Noncompliance
Jeep Wrangler vehicles may experience a condition where the power steering return line
contacts and wears a hole in the aluminum transmission oil cooler line. This can result in a
loss of transmission fluid which may cause damage to the transmission and loss of
function.

573.6(c)(6): Chronology of Principal Events Leading to Determination of a
Safety Defect
• In August 2012, Chrysler opened an investigation based on a durability vehicle that
exhibited a complete loss of transmission fluid at cycle 248 out of250. The cause of the
transmission fluid loss was determined to be the power steering return line being in hard
contact with the transmission oil cooler (TOC) line.
• Jeep Wranglers, equipped with an automatic transmission and 3.6L gas engine, changed
the TOC lines from steel to aluminum for 20 12MY.

Page 2
• On August 22, 2012 as an interim fix, a rubber elbow was added to the power steering
return tube to provide additional protection for the aluminum TOC line.
• As a permanent corrective action, the power steering return tube was redesigned to
increase the nominal clearance to the TOC line and a heat shrink s1eeve was also added to
the TOC line in the area where the rubber sleeve may come in contact.
• In September 2012, prototype power steering return tube assemblies and TOC lines with
the heat shrink tubing were installed on six vehicles scheduled for durability testing at the
proving grounds.
• Based on preliminary, positive test results, the new power steering return tube assembly
and TOC line with protective sleeve were implemented for production on February 5,
2013 and February 23, 2013 respectively.
• The first four durability vehicles completed testing between March and the end of May
2013 with no report ofTOC line damage.
• During its investigation, Chrysler identified 81 CAIRs, 2 field reports and 0 VOQs
reported between January 25, 2012 and April 25, 2012 potentially related to the Jeep
Wrangler transmission oil cooler line leak.
• Chrysler Group LLC is not aware of any accidents, injuries, fires or property damage
potentially related to this issue.
• On May 28,2013, Chrysler Group LLC decided to conduct a voluntary safety
recall on all affected vehicles.

573.6(c)(7): Information Used in Determination of a Noncompliance
N/A

573.6( c )(8): Description of Remedy
Chrysler Group will conduct a voluntary safety recall to replace the power steering return
tube assembly and inspect the transmission oil cooler lines. The transmission oil cooler
lines will either have a protective sleeve added or the transmission oil cooler lines will be
replaced on all affected vehicles.
Chrysler has a longstanding policy and practice of reimbursing owners who have
incurred the cost of repairing a problem that subsequently becomes the subject of
a field action. To ensure consistency, Chrysler, as part of the owner letter, will
request that customers send the original receipt and/or other adequate proof of
payment to the company for confirmation of the expense.

573.6(c)(l0): Dealer and Owner Communications
Chrysler plans to begin notification of dealers and owners in July 2013. Chrysler
will provide the dealer and owner letters when available.

Page 3

573.6(c)(ll): Manufacturer's Campaign Number
Chrysler has assigned recall number N28 to this action.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm, so I just bought a 2012 JKUR. Do I contact a Chrysler Dealer or wait for a letter?

You typically need to wait for your letter to come in but, if you have a good relationship with your dealership, you can probably just have them look up your VIN and have the warranty work performed.

dangerruss

Hmmm, so I just bought a 2012 JKUR. Do I contact a Chrysler Dealer or wait for a letter?

I am a registered jeep owner at jeep.com. Found out about the recall when I logged into my account. That's where I found out about the recall.

Russ

jkpete

I just got this recall letter and I called my dealer and they told me Chrysler hasn't released the parts to fix it yet. What's the point in sending out a letter and not having the parts to fix the problem? They told me that I will get another letter when they get the parts. Lol.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
I got my letter to says they will send letter once fix is available...

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

dangerruss

I just got this recall letter and I called my dealer and they told me Chrysler hasn't released the parts to fix it yet. What's the point in sending out a letter and not having the parts to fix the problem? They told me that I will get another letter when they get the parts. Lol.

Look at the fine print on your first notice... They will send another letter when they have parts available... Now all we do is wait and worry about what might happen.

jkjurny

I've been noticing that my transmission fluid will hit 260 degrees regularly. I'm assuming that this is a symptom of this recall? I have never noticed fluid leaking from my Jeep though.

Beyrgut

Yeah i got the notice about the recall and they would send another once parts avail, blah, blah, blah. Fortunately when this first cam up someone had a cheap fix using rubber hose to address this rubbing issue, so purchased a couple feet of fuel line. I just need to get around to doing the mod.

jk12blk

Finally received the notice from Chrysler the parts for safety recall N28 are now available, so I contacted my local dealership.
The service dept. stated they expect the replacement to be delivered next week at which time they will contact me to schedule the appointment.

I asked if the repair requires changing the trans oil (removal of the pan) - dealership said, "No."
I thought I may have to remove my EVO trans skid prior to the repair.

Cajun JK

I got my letter in saying the parts were available now also. It said they were going to replace the trans line

Trembley

Just had mine done Friday and they didn't remove my Synergy Skid system, but they did manage to get fluid everywhere under there. They also did my water pump cause mine had the infamous whining sound going on.

Lil Nasty

They just change the power steering hose if the transmission return line does not show any wear. Had mine done last week. I was hoping they would have to drain the fluid out to get a free oil change, but no such luck.

dangerruss

Got an appointment for this coming Friday. Dealership told me they would have to let the engine cool down for a couple of hours before starting the work. Work would take 1.5 to 2 hours...

Top Bottom