Installed an inverter... and I impressed myself

PJScullyJr

Over the past few weeks I was looking of a nice clean way to add AC power to my JK for the different toys and electronic gizmos that are part of our everyday lives.
After a lot of web crawling I saw a few neat and not so neat ideas, as well as some nice clean installs and some not so clean downright scary installs.
So I picked up an inverter I had in my garage and went to work trying to build a mouse trap I would like, not a better one, but one I would like.
IMG_00000034.jpg
I started out buy figuring out where to put the inverter, I wanted someplace dry, out of the way and out of sight. And the space in the dashboard next to the glove box was perfect.

From there, I decided the first outlet should go in the rear of the jeep, after some poking and head scratching I decided the tailgate would be a neat spot for it.
IMG_00000887.jpg IMG_00000890.jpg IMG_00000897.jpg IMG_00000898.jpg IMG_00000900.jpg
So after snaking some 14 gauge SJO wire through the factory wire loom into the tailgate I crossed my fingers for a moment and drilled a hole for the outlet. After not screwing up I managed to wire up the outlet and snake the power cable to the front jeep and into the dash zip tying it to the existing wire loom and keeping it under the trim work for greater protection.
IMG_00000902.jpg
Next I went to work on the inverter itself, knowing one of my goals was to have a nice clean and nearly invisible install I was going to have to rewire part of it.
I opened up the inverter and rewired both the power button that in an IC controlled momentary on/off switch and the power on indicator.
IMG_00000013(1).jpg IMG_00000016.jpg
I wanted the power on indicator because with the inverter tucked away in the dashboard I didn't want to have it accidently turned on and kill my battery.
so I cracked it open... and started rewiring it to a new switch and indicator light...

So after I had all of the preliminary wiring done to the momentary rocker switch and the LED indicator (as well as switches and leads for future add-ons)
Came the fun part of wiring up the inverter itself with some carful wire soldering the unit was rewired (fingers crossed correctly) . I reassembled the unit and snaked the wires through the dashboard to the switches and connected everything up and installed the switch pod.
IMG_00000011.jpg
Next using 10 gauge wire I wired the inverter to the battery and snaked the wires through the fire wall.
IMG_00000106.jpg IMG_00000108.jpg IMG_00000111.jpg
So from here I did the finishing up connector work and finished connecting the SJO wire to the inverter and buttoned every thing up...
IMG_00000113.jpg IMG_00000114.jpg IMG_00000115.jpg IMG_00000117.jpg
With everything all back together, and all wires secured to prevent any pinch points I can say it ACTUALLY WORKS!!! and with it being an 800 watt unit it can run a blender... so margaritas anyone???

But in the end I think I accomplished my goals.. AC power.. clean install.. functional.. and I still have the ability to add an additional outlet down the road.

IMG_2771.jpg

What to add next.. the compressor or the lights?????????

JK'AJUN

Over the past few weeks I was looking of a nice clean way to add AC power to my JK for the different toys and electronic gizmos that are part of our everyday lives.
After a lot of web crawling I saw a few neat and not so neat ideas, as well as some nice clean installs and some not so clean downright scary installs.
So I picked up an inverter I had in my garage and went to work trying to build a mouse trap I would like, not a better one, but one I would like.

Very Nice!

Rebel JK

Nice work. Question though, does the inverter have a built in gfci? Is the ac side bonded to the frame/chassis/tailgate? By hardwiring it and mounting an ac plug to the jeep you have a rolling generator that will put out 6 amps at 120v. Not tryin to be a drag, just offering some thoughts. Safety first! Just looking out for the bartender.

Last edited:

PJScullyJr

Nice work. Question though, does the inverter have a built in gfci? Is the ac side bonded to the frame/chassis/tailgate? By hardwiring it and mounting an ac plug to the jeep you have a rolling generator that will put out 6 amps at 120v. Not tryin to be a drag, just offering some thoughts. Safety first! Just looking out for the bartender.

Thanks for the comments,

As for the unit its a simple inverter that has fused protection between the unit and the battery, no GFCI, the outlet I installed its housing is all plastic and not grounded into the body or frame, so the same safety precautions that one would normally take when using an inviter will be have to followed. As for what it will produce power wise, on a heavy demand I should be able to pull 6 to 6.5 amps, but the main intention from the start was just to power the smaller electrical items that we take for granted while on the road or at a camp site.

Rebel JK

Got it. Just wanted to throw that out there for you. You just want to make sure that if god forbid the 120 leg makes contact with the jeep body ie: (damaged blender cord slammed in the door) that somthing will be in place to sense the current imbalance and open the circuit. If the jeep body becomes energized and there is no ground reference the current will follow the next path of least resistence which could be thru a person. Similiar to someone leaning against a non grounded bus stop sign that has not been grounded correctly, or a loose ground on the washing machine. May be just a tingle or a lot worse. A gfi will trip/open at .6 milliamps, (regardless of ac or dc volts) which is all it takes to stop someones heart.
Ive been doing industrial and commercial electrical work for a 30+ years so I have seen some crazy sh**t happen. Sorry to get on a roll, just trying to help.

PJScullyJr

Got it. Just wanted to throw that out there for you. You just want to make sure that if god forbid the 120 leg makes contact with the jeep body ie: (damaged blender cord slammed in the door) that somthing will be in place to sense the current imbalance and open the circuit. If the jeep body becomes energized and there is no ground reference the current will follow the next path of least resistence which could be thru a person. Similiar to someone leaning against a non grounded bus stop sign that has not been grounded correctly, or a loose ground on the washing machine. May be just a tingle or a lot worse. A gfi will trip/open at .6 milliamps, (regardless of ac or dc volts) which is all it takes to stop someones heart.
Ive been doing industrial and commercial electrical work for a 30+ years so I have seen some crazy sh**t happen. Sorry to get on a roll, just trying to help.

I appreciate the input don't worry about that. I worked a good number of years as a deputy fire marshal so I understand that people do bat sh!t crazy stuff.

Top Bottom