Google Search: Pressure Cooker + Backpack = Visit from the Feds

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know NSA doesn't collect data on Americans but, you might want to be careful what you search for online as it may result in a visit by six armed men in three black SUV. Check it out...

Google Pressure Cookers and Backpacks, Get a Visit from the Feds
Google_Pressure_Cookers_and_Backpacks_-9456a6a0e41ba2b68be339d491bbb086.jpg

Michele Catalano was looking for information online about pressure cookers. Her husband, in the same time frame, was Googling backpacks. Wednesday morning, six men from a joint terrorism task force showed up at their house to see if they were terrorists. Which begs the question: How'd the government know what they were Googling?

Read the whole article here:
http://news.yahoo.com/google-pressure-cookers-backpacks-visit-feds-140900667.html

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
That's crazy. They should have done it from a mobile device. :cheesy:

(Guess its not really a joke but whatever)

Tranquillity

Fixed it for you. :thumb:

lolllll

that might be handy then

JTpDI.jpg

SDG

Caught the Bug
That does not surprise me in the least. They watch all kinds of "stuff"

I was somewhat surprised to find out from a friend that when I applied for a job at his company and they ran a background check that I was on a specific agencies "watch" list. It was verified when I traveled out of the country on vacation and when I returned the customs agent took about 3x as long to read whatever to computer popped up, and she was so baffled that she actually forgot to stamp my passport for reentry.

Skirmish

I think the story sounds fishy. The pics they are using for the story are all from different events. The FBI is saying the JTTF didn't visit the house. I don't doubt it could happen but if they are sending six agents out for every web search that seems suspicious they would need about six times the population on that task force.

Skirmish

So the chick did get a lot of the facts wrong. Seems her husband was released from a computer company and they found searches on his work computer for pressure cooker bombs and backpacks and called the cops. The local police, not the JTTF questioned him and left. It had nothing to do with government spying or data mining, simply a guy who doesn't know to clear his search history.

NEW YORK -- A former employee of a New York computer company was questioned after his workplace computer search history revealed inquiries for "pressure cooker bombs" and "backpacks," but no criminality was determined, the Suffolk County Police Department said in a statement Thursday.

Authorities have said the bombs used at the Boston Marathon in April, which killed three people and wounded more than 260, involved pressure cookers placed in backpacks.

The man was questioned after detectives from the department's intelligence unit received a tip from a Long Island-based computer company claiming the recently released employee's computer had suspicious searches, the police said. After interviewing company representatives, they questioned the man at his home where they determined there was no criminality.

The police issued their statement after receiving numerous media inquiries in response to a blog post written Thursday by a woman writing under the name Michele Catalano.

Catalano, who did not return multiple requests for comment, speculated in her post that her husband had been interviewed Wednesday by "six agents from the joint terrorism task force" because of the family's search history on Google.

She wrote that her husband had researched buying backpacks and she had researched pressure cookers. She writes, also, that her "curious news junkie of a twenty-year-old son" may have read a news story about how instructions to make pressure cooker bombs are available online.

Her husband answered the officers' questions and her son was asleep when they were at the home, she wrote. She said in the post she does not own a pressure cooker, but does have a rice cooker to make quinoa.

Catalano took to the Internet on Thursday night, writing in a new blog post that she wrote her original piece without knowing police had been tipped off about her husband's search history at his former job.

MTG

Caught the Bug
simply a guy who doesn't know to clear his search history.

Wait, so are you telling me that there is a way for people to go back and look at all the websites I've been too? And that this "history" as you call it is somehow stored on the computer? :shock::shock:

Skirmish

Wait, so are you telling me that there is a way for people to go back and look at all the websites I've been too? And that this "history" as you call it is somehow stored on the computer? :shock::shock:

Didn't we learn anything from Casey Anthony? When searching methods to kill people always clear the history. That's from the bible. John 3:17 I think.

Top Bottom