"Easy" electrical questions

davantalus

I've searched and searched but I'm not having any luck. Maybe I'm just not using the right terms and you guys could point me to some definitive information?

I'd like to hardwire power for both my iPhone (5 volts x 1 amp = 5 watts) and a dash-cam (presumably slightly less consumption) Since these are both lowish in power - I'm under the impression I could splice into power under the dashboard somewhere? Ala cigarette lighter situation?

1a) If so, then exactly how and where? I was planning on buying one of those cigarette lighter splitters to splice on behind drivers side kickboard.

1b) If not then what's the best way to go, a switch/relay box ($$$)? Or the quadratec fuse box adapter? Or something more crafty and less money? (In the long run - I do plan on having a switch+relay box situation. But not right now if I can help it.)

2) Under what conditions does CANBUS bust in and shut down my operation like the DEA?

3) Anyone have an excellent tutorial with pictures for ripping the dash and surrounding plastics off all the way to the front cigarette lighter on a 2012/13?

I tapped into the cigarette lighter for my CB. In my 2011 JKUS there is a external power adapter in the center console which you could tap into for your phone. If you google Auto USB adapter there is a couple of links which have these adapters for sale and installation.

R/
Will

ziggy

You can "tap" into the cig lighter wire but don't put alot on them. What you are wanting to run it should not be an issue, but if you add more to it later then it will start blowing fuses. The best way to do it is to make a relay bank and tap the sig lighter to activate the coils on the relays and let your relays run your accessories. The can-bus system is a system of microcontrollers that are very sensitive to voltage drops. If you tape into something that is on the Can-bus then it can cause a drop in voltage and the system notices it and steps in. Hope that helps ya.

SoCalDozer

if you look at the cigarette lighter fuse and see how much it is, dont remember offhand. I assume around 10amps or so. that will tell you how much peak power you can pull from that before causing problems.

billybob990

I'm not 100% positive but I think the cig lighter fuse is 15 amp. That is what I've seen in everything I've worked on but it could be different on a jk

JK's JK

Banned
This would be perfect for what your trying to accomplish. The reason why this is good because it seperates the function that your tapping and the function your trying to accomplish.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/400386886117?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

I have not read the other posts but I'm just posting what I think.

Now your going to have to look in your owners manual for a fuse spot that is not major like air bag (Air bag fuse tapping is a federal law not to tap onto that fuse spot). There will be a ignition sense and 12v constant in your fuse block in your cab or underneath your hood. So just use a volt meter and see if there is a 12v sourse. If you do want ignition sense your going to have to turn the jeep on and off to find the ignition sense fuse location (example radio fuse position most of the time). Once you have found the fuse location your going to have to place this fuse tap onto that location but before you do your going to have to figure out what side will be the hot because if you place the fuse tap backwards your fuse will not pop if there is a problem (example short). I would go with a 5-10amp fuse, make sure to place the fuse you took out on the bottom and 10amp fuse you bought on the top . Run a 12g wire over to your new sig ligher (Or whatever your place a voltage on), crip on the lead and there you go.

Hope this makes sense. If not I can try to type this out better.

Or you can go super simple and get this if you have a sig lighter!!!!

http://compare.ebay.com/like/290927941008?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Last edited:

davantalus

To parse through what you guys have suggested:

A few votes for splitting power from the cig lighter up front. (Don't draw more than the port is fused for)
One vote for splitting from the fuse box. (Just not the airbag)
One vote for doing the right thing with the relay.

Oh, and Chris is either confused or being a smart ass. (I want to run the wire from inside the dash up through the defroster, not from the lighter itself.)

Anyone else have hints or suggestions?

AESTHESIS

!!! Begginer electric: Its safer to add your own elec from the battery then change the existing wiring. Mistakes can cause huge fires. Always have a fuse that will short at a lower amperage than your wires melt at and you never have a fire. I got a sealed 4 circuit fuse block at Wal Mart for like $5.

Aesthesis

Top Bottom