37's and 3.5 inch lift, rubbing AEV bumper

Kking08

Hey guys need some help here...

I was running a 3 inch teraflex long arm kit with 37's (which have been installed for about 2 weeks) i swapped out the teraflex springs for a 3.5 inch rock krawler spring for just a little more lift. I already trimmed the pinch seam, but i wasnt expecting the tires to rub the AEV bumper. During normal driving the tires will rub going over bumps, and there is no way i could do any flexing, they would hit the bumper as well. The tires are rubbing the tube that protects the water tanks on each side of the bumper.

Anybody have any suggestions?

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/...000000079D601F20_zpse3114648.jpg?t=1375469832
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/...00000007963E68FA_zpsa486fe77.jpg?t=1375469829

Last edited:

Tackerdown

Banned
Not sure which bumper you have but can you heat it up and adjust it with a hammer I dont know just a shot in the dark.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

daltexjeeper

can you post some pics?

I agree, some photos of the problem area would help. If your 37's are rubbing the rear AEV bumper without much flexing (i.e. normal driving), then it sounds like you may need to adjust your control arms to re-align the axle so that the tire no longer hits the bumper. Throw some photos up and I'm sure some of the experienced members will chime in with some good solutions.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys need some help here...

I was running a 3 inch teraflex long arm kit with 37's (which have been installed for about 2 weeks) i swapped out the teraflex springs for a 3.5 inch rock krawler spring for just a little more lift. I already trimmed the pinch seam, but i wasnt expecting the tires to rub the AEV bumper. During normal driving the tires will rub going over bumps, and there is no way i could do any flexing, they would hit the bumper as well. The tires are rubbing the tube that protects the water tanks on each side of the bumper.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Your 3" TeraFlex coils would have given you over 4" of lift. Your new RK coils will actually be shorter than what you had. That's part of your problem. If your front tires are rubbing your full width front bumper while going straight, you may have your axles positioned too far forward. Adjust your front lower control arms back a bit and then adjust your front uppers until you have the proper +4° of caster you need. If you are rubbing the rear, same thing, you probably have your axle set too far back. Shorten the rear lowers as needed and then set the uppers so that you have the proper pinion angle needed.

bl17z90

He has the AEV rear bumper and the tube doesn't protect the water tanks, that peice of steel is the actual bumper itself, the water tanks were put in because of all the dead space they had. But yeah what Eddie said is probably your problem.

Kking08

added pics, Eddie that would make perfect sense, ill try that this weekend. What degree of caster is needed for the rear? Same as the front or different?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
added pics, Eddie that would make perfect sense, ill try that this weekend. What degree of caster is needed for the rear? Same as the front or different?

There is no caster on the rear axle, only the front. If you're still running factory shafts, you can keep the pinion parallel to the output shaft like stock. Or, if you think you'll be installing an aftermarket shaft in the near future, set the pinion angle so that it's parallel with the drive shaft.

Top Bottom