Stock Carrier failing

Tranquillity

I noticed something wrong when I oppened my tailgate.

IMG_3029_zps812e37d4.jpg

So I took out my spare to check it up. That's what I saw

IMG_3030_zpsc95b88b8.jpg

IMG_3031_zps4735f68c.jpg

Somehow it doesn't feel like anything is loose, doesn't jiggle at all. For now I put my spare in the back, tomorrow I'm hitting a trail. From what it looks like, it seems like I could have overtorqued my nuts but I doubt about that. Anybody else had something similar ?

Tranquillity

So that's how you get permission to get a new tire carrier? Thinking...

Hahahah I already bypassed that permission by getting that teraflex hinge. Passed completely unnoticed but now I guess karma slapped me right into the face haha ! But yes I guess I could pass it up for a new carrier nonetheless :rock:

Problem, I just sold my sliders to get the EVO one's might be impossible right now :/...

I could always weld them temporally, would that do the trick !??

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Somehow it doesn't feel like anything is loose, doesn't jiggle at all. For now I put my spare in the back, tomorrow I'm hitting a trail. From what it looks like, it seems like I could have overtorqued my nuts but I doubt about that. Anybody else had something similar ?

Do you have Daystar isolators installed on your tailgate? If so, if you have them set too long, they will push too hard on your spare and as you tighten up your lug nuts, the pressure will pull on your mounting studs. Being that the carrier is just aluminum, they will start to give in this manner.

Tranquillity

Do you have Daystar isolators installed on your tailgate? If so, if you have them set too long, they will push too hard on your spare and as you tighten up your lug nuts, the pressure will pull on your mounting studs. Being that the carrier is just aluminum, they will start to give in this manner.

No I don't have these isolator. Just the TF hinge with stock carrier. I do torque them with an air impact and torque my lock nut manually. I can't figure how it would be over torqued but well accident happens...

Do you think it would be safe running the spare on this anyway ? Would some welding spare me more time?

I was planning to switch for a new carrier but buying evo sliders made a hole in my pocket. I would take it to the dealer preaching warranty but my bet would be they stand back and tells me it's my fault.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No I don't have these isolator.

This alone would be enough to cause what you are seeing but, I think your biggest problem is what you did below....

I do torque them with an air impact and torque my lock nut manually. I can't figure how it would be over torqued but well accident happens...

You should never use an air impact on the spare. Unlike a thick steel axle flange, the factory tire carrier is just thin aluminum and you essentially pulled the studs right through it. It doesn't take much to do.

Do you think it would be safe running the spare on this anyway ? Would some welding spare me more time?

I wouldn't.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

This alone would be enough to cause what you are seeing but, I think your biggest problem is what you did below....

You should never use an air impact on the spare. Unlike a thick steel axle flange, the factory tire carrier is just thin aluminum and you essentially pulled the studs right through it. It doesn't take much to do.

I wouldn't.

Mr. Eddie, as I have also used the same torque spec on my spare, do you happen to know the spares torque spec off the top of your head?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Mr. Eddie, as I have also used the same torque spec on my spare, do you happen to know the spares torque spec off the top of your head?

You should be fine tightening them to 95 ft. lbs. Just do not use an impact wrench as it will do damage like what is shown above.

xtremefx4

I have my 35 on the factory carrier n I don't have any problems with it. Plus I drive on a really bad wash board road to my house. Just my 2 cents:rolleyes:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have my 35 on the factory carrier n I don't have any problems with it. Plus I drive on a really bad wash board road to my house. Just my 2 cents:rolleyes:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

So long as you isolate the spare, you should be just fine :yup:

GCM 2

So what tire carrier does everyone run?

1979 Jeep CJ5 - rccrwlr
2008 Jeep JKUR - pheartmtngot

This is another $1000 dollar question that will get you a dozen different answers. Almost anything but stock, or a variation of stock carrier (basically any design that attaches solely to the tailgate itself) I personally would stay away from. It has been proven over time that using the tailgate to hang a tire from is about the worst solution. The more you isolate the spare from the flimsy tailgate the better.
First- It will always come down to your budget and what you think you can stand to look at for years on the back of the jeep (yes, I find looks to be a factor. I wouldn't simply run ugly stuff for the sake of function, form is also a factor to me). Do you want a bumper carrier combo, or just the tire carrier?
Second- how big of a spare are you planning on running. Even if I wasn't running 40"s I would go with something capable of guaranteeing it can hold at least a 37" tire. Most carries that tie into the jeep with more than two points of contact are going to be better.
Third- how hard do you wheel your rig? If you follow the Second rule listed, how hard you wheel your rig is almost a non-factor, because the tire carriers that are designed to carry big rubber donuts usually can handle hard trails.
Fourth- Does your tire carrier need to carry more than just a tire? What accessories do you absolutely need to take along with you, extra fuel cans, hi lift jack, cb antenna mount, etc.

This is how I look at it, others may prioritize differently. Over the years I know what brands I like and trust and which ones I have seen underperform. Start doing lots of research, get answers from people who have run something you are thinking about. Not just a reply from someone who has a friend on another forum that heard brand XX is the best.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'd have to agree with what GCM 2 said especially the part about getting the spare off the tailgate. I have just seen my fair share of tailgates get jacked up from catching a simple ledge or climbing up a steep enough grade to cause the spare to catch. It just isn't worth it. I have run multiple solutions and really, most bumper tire carriers will do the job well as will the handful of options that tie into the body with more than one mounting point. Outside of that, it's all just personal taste.

Rccrwlr

Thanks GCM 2 and Wayolife. Makes a big diff to me to get info from those that have tried and learned. Time to set priorities

1979 Jeep CJ5 - rccrwlr

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks GCM 2 and Wayolife. Makes a big diff to me to get info from those that have tried and learned. Time to set priorities

1979 Jeep CJ5 - rccrwlr

Do you have some thoughts as to what you might want?

Top Bottom