CJ5 concerns

Helipilot2

So some of you may know I have been slowly working towards getting a Jeep to join the club once again and get back to wheelin. I have a Jeep picked out but I am starting to develop some concerns, my uncle has a 75 CJ5 with new motor and tranny, dana 44s front and rear that he wants to sell me for $3000. From the research I have done almost all parts I can find for CJ5s are 76 and newer. Do they just not really make parts for that old of jeeps or am I not looking in the right spot?

FrankenJeeper

I have a 77 CJ5, and I have noticed that most aftermarket parts are labeled 76 and up, but pre 76 are still easy to come by. If the jeep is in good drive able condition I think 3k is a good price. In my neck of the woods it's hard to find a drive able CJ for under 4-5k range.

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Helipilot2

Hmm I seem to be having a hard time finding variety, it seems when you do find parts they are very limited on what you can get. Would I be better finding a YJ with the 6 cylinder since it has way more parts available for it? I prefer the older jeeps but would like to acquire a JK in a couple years when I am making better money. For now I would like to have a CJ or YJ to build and learn from before spending the big bucks :brows:

FrankenJeeper

Me personally I'd go for a CJ, but that's just me. I've always been particular fond of CJ's. regardless of what you decide on what to get you'll have a blast with any Jeep,

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
I would go CJ over a YJ anyday. You can find CJ parts easily on ebay and JC Whitney.com. Search Omix Ada. They are the largest replacement parts manufacturer for old Jeep parts.

RockyJk

I'd go with a Cj7 some of the aftermarket yj parts fit on it and you still have round headlights! :thumbup::D

Helipilot2

I would go CJ over a YJ anyday. You can find CJ parts easily on ebay and JC Whitney.com. Search Omix Ada. They are the largest replacement parts manufacturer for old Jeep parts.

Even after researching both those sites it seems most parts are replacement not aftermarket. Your biggest lift I found was a 3 inch spring over which is fine because CJ5 is super narrow. Aftermarket fender flares, bumpers, and accessories as such seem super limited which is my concern. Its not like I can just hop on and order skid plates and such. It seems there are much more parts from 76 and newer, is that the year Jeeps started going wide body? The CJ5 my Uncle has is the old narrow body

hillybilly

Quadratec and 4 Wheel Drive Hardware have catalogs for CJ's. Genright and metalcloak make some cool armor and hi-clearance fenders for them. Axel and drivetrain upgrades through Currie Enterprises and Advance Adapters. The parts are out there. Just not advertised as much as the newer models. CJ's make great toys and a fun hobby. JEEP...Just Empty Every Pocket! Have fun!

jboykin

I have a 1972 CJ5 which was my first car that I was getting ready to get in shape to drive around again. Although parts were a little more limited than the newer models they were not too hard to come by. With a little research some of the parts from the 76 and newer Jeeps will fit the mid-year 72 through 75s even though they may not be labeled that way.

Breer

Caught the Bug
Edit: I did not see the year in previous posts at first. Just the recent one, Der.

Last edited:

holliewood61

The intermediate 5's do have a little more limited selection as that body configuration only ran 3 yrs. Drive train parts are drive train parts and will encompass many years and models, so i wouldnt worry about that. Lift springs can be used from later years but spring mounts will need changed. Body parts is another story. From the cowl forward uses later model stuff the tub and windshield frame are closer to the early 5's

Top Bottom