UPDATE: Wheeling Fort Hood!

LadyJeeper

I started a petition to get Fort Hood to re-open its training area for wheeling and have received over 800 signatures. I contacted Fort Hood's Public Affairs with my signatures, comments from Jeepers, and some ideas for how to successfully re-implement a wheeling program there. To my surprise, they seemed to take my request seriously and we now have a dialogue with the command group. I'll be updating all petition signers through mass email as more information comes my way through their decision process. If you want to be in the loop, please sign!

https://www.change.org/petitions/fort-hood-texas-reopen-training-areas-for-full-sized-4x4-s

Fort Hood's training area was once very well known for wheeling, and with Texas having virtually no public land (except for far, far west Texas) it is becoming harder and harder to find places to wheel. It would be WONDERFUL to have Fort Hood again... especially as a recreational activity for our Soldiers and their families, and groups like Wheelers for the Wounded. If you want to support the cause, please share!

See you on the trail!

:beer:

LadyJeeper

Thanks everyone! There had been some hesitation with other Jeepers in trying to get Fort Hood to do this again, but I had a feeling that I might be able to make some headway as a disabled veteran who was stationed there and spouse of an active duty soldier still stationed there (along with my excellent diplomatic skills, heh heh). I figure we don't have much to lose considering it has been at least a decade since the last group of offroaders were there. Fort Hood also recently paid for and built an ATV park that is much harder to maintain than letting us drive around tank trails, so hopefully that will be a good arguing point as well.

I will ask that nobody else contact Fort Hood, that way they are not bombarded and annoyed with all the pressure. I'd like to keep this positive and controlled. Signing the petition is the best way to support! Thanks again!

Last edited:

kevinp

Signed it! I was there for seven years and will likely go back (there's a reason they call it a black hole). To wheel in my virtual back yard would be awesome. I'm going to tell you what is going to stand in the way. Fort Hood's Environmental folks. I was an Environmental Compliance NCO for my unit and learned that they are VERY touchy about land use. We can't even train without restrictions. Maybe this will help, but they pride themselves on exceeding every EPA rule and reg out there, so it probably won't be easy.

Kevin

msk466

I started a petition to get Fort Hood to re-open its training area for wheeling and have received over 800 signatures. I contacted Fort Hood's Public Affairs with my signatures, comments from Jeepers, and some ideas for how to successfully re-implement a wheeling program there. To my surprise, they seemed to take my request seriously and we now have a dialogue with the command group. I'll be updating all petition signers through mass email as more information comes my way through their decision process. If you want to be in the loop, please sign!

https://www.change.org/petitions/fort-hood-texas-reopen-training-areas-for-full-sized-4x4-s

Fort Hood's training area was once very well known for wheeling, and with Texas having virtually no public land (except for far, far west Texas) it is becoming harder and harder to find places to wheel. It would be WONDERFUL to have Fort Hood again... especially as a recreational activity for our Soldiers and their families, and groups like Wheelers for the Wounded. If you want to support the cause, please share!

See you on the trail!

Just signed it. Spent 3 years at Hood, with the 1st of the 7th CAV. Gary Owen!!.

LadyJeeper

Signed it! I was there for seven years and will likely go back (there's a reason they call it a black hole). To wheel in my virtual back yard would be awesome. I'm going to tell you what is going to stand in the way. Fort Hood's Environmental folks. I was an Environmental Compliance NCO for my unit and learned that they are VERY touchy about land use. We can't even train without restrictions. Maybe this will help, but they pride themselves on exceeding every EPA rule and reg out there, so it probably won't be easy.

Kevin

Already tracking on that one, Kevin! My husband is the ECO of his unit when he isn't playing pilot, so I've got a LOT of resources to work with and try to make this so that the environmental people will be happy. One thing I am trying to push is utilizing wheelers as a source of information regarding sightings of the golden cheeked warbler and blue headed vireo, both protected on Fort Hood very seriously. ;)

kevinp

I was even doing the drumming the fingertips together thing. Hahaha

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Signed and shared on Facebook. I am a member of about 5-6 TX Jeep club pages so hopefully they will all see it and sign also!

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

jeeeep

Hooked
I read the petition and it sounds like this is to reopen for soldiers and their families only? did I miss-read?

Top Bottom