Hill Descent Control

jkjurny

Have you guys used this? Do you use it regularly? Has it failed on you?

I've tried it twice in 2nd gear (2.5 MPH according to the manual), and I liked how it felt. I'm assuming it'll go faster in order to prevent wheel lockup or skidding.

Just want to know of anyone has any negatives about this system.

On JKX, did anyone use it going down Black Bear Pass?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I though it only works when stopped? To prevent a manual trans from rolling when you let off the clutch.

Skirmish

Downhill assist is for auto. Hill assist is manuals. Downhill assist as far as I know simply holds the brake to keep you from accelerating past 1 mph in L1 and 2.5 mph in L2. I've never used it as I have a stick but I waited a few minutes for a guy behind me to creep down a hill using it once.

Paisano

Hill start stop assist applies the brake when shifting from reverse to drive or vice versa and releases when enough torque is applied to roll. Hill descent control holds the vehicle at a speed say 2 mph and you don't need to use the brakes the computer controls the descent. Each time you push the brake or gas pedal speed will change by 1 mph. That's my understanding of the two systems.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jkjurny

Depending on gear, it'll go 7.5 mph at the fastest setting if I remember the manual right.

It was nice to have the computer deal with speed so you can deal with the trail itself.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Used it a number of times on really steep trails in Utah and Colorado. Works like a charm. Lets you concentrate on other things which is helpful when doing shelf roads.

I have a 2012 sport auto and I have the button for it but have no clue how to engage it. I push the button and a light on my dash will flash for a few seconds then dissapear. Curious on how to use it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKOUTLAW

for some reason i was under the impression that the hill assist was always on, and not something you engaged. is there a button?

I let my jeep crawl in the parking lot the other day, to see if it would stall... and it didnt..

im guessing I dont under stand what my manual jeep has....

care to enlighten a newb?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I have a 2012 sport auto and I have the button for it but have no clue how to engage it. I push the button and a light on my dash will flash for a few seconds then dissapear. Curious on how to use it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

It only works in 4LO.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
for some reason i was under the impression that the hill assist was always on, and not something you engaged. is there a button?

I let my jeep crawl in the parking lot the other day, to see if it would stall... and it didnt..

im guessing I dont under stand what my manual jeep has....

care to enlighten a newb?

Hill assist (not letting the jeep roll back on steep inclines) is not the same thing as hill descent.

Heres a crude vid on it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yOt2y3olgQ

(not a jeep, but the point is still there.)

jkjurny

Used it a number of times on really steep trails in Utah and Colorado. Works like a charm. Lets you concentrate on other things which is helpful when doing shelf roads.

Thanks. Just wondering if anyone experiences a failure or heard of one? Also, can anyone verify if the system avoids lockup and will automatically go faster, past the regulated speed of the gear, or you have to hit the gas or upshift?

Thanks.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Thanks. Just wondering if anyone experiences a failure or heard of one? Also, can anyone verify if the system avoids lockup and will automatically go faster, past the regulated speed of the gear, or you have to hit the gas or upshift?

Thanks.

It can't really "fail." It uses your engine torque and your brakes, so if it "fails" your Jeep is dead. All the system is, is a computer program. As for lockup, I don't think it speeds up, it will try it's best to slow you down by torquing the motor more, and braking slipping wheels, but I don't think it will speed up...haven't tested this so I'm not 100% sure, but it seems to me the software is programmed to maintain a certain speed and it will keep trying to do that. If you were coming down an ice sheet, it will constantly try and slow you with the brakes but I doubt it will speed up.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
It can't really "fail." It uses your engine torque and your brakes, so if it "fails" your Jeep is dead. All the system is, is a computer program. As for lockup, I don't think it speeds up, it will try it's best to slow you down by torquing the motor more, and braking slipping wheels, but I don't think it will speed up...haven't tested this so I'm not 100% sure, but it seems to me the software is programmed to maintain a certain speed and it will keep trying to do that. If you were coming down an ice sheet, it will constantly try and slow you with the brakes but I doubt it will speed up.

What happens if the computer goes out? Would it not fail then?

jkjurny

Ok. Just need to find a safe place to test it :) My worry is using it in 1st (1MPH) and that wheels lock-up, having you slide down the incline instead of rolling. I'd probably never use 1st gear anyway, but just in case I left it there for some reason.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I used Hill Descent Control for the first time last month in Ouray. It worked just fine and really limited tires losing grip on a muddy and rocky slope I'm sure I'd have slid part of the way. I was able to concentrate more on tire placement to give the passengers a safer feeling. They complimented me on how well I handled the slope after they expressed concern before we went down. They didn't have a clue. Nothing's guaranteed so I'll use it when I can 'til I find its limits.:D

BTW, love the new Icon.:asshat: It's kinda like an NFL ref's penalty flag. For a while it'll probably be one of the most used.:yup:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i have used the hill decent control a few times and i can say i love it! at first its a little scary cause you want to throw your foot on the brake but the computer controls the jeep perfectly. it keeps your under 2 mph i want to say and on steep declines it allows you to focus on your line a little bit easier.

Tackerdown

Banned
And if you use your break it will disengage for a bit. Yup I did that on powerline and you pick up speed quick

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom