2012 Jeep JK Wrangler 3.6L V6 Pentastar Engine Oil Change Write-Up

Gadget

Caught the Bug
I see by the photo in the beginning of this write up the Eddie's 2012 has it also, why doesn't my 2014 have it?

Tree Frog

Note the filters changed from the 2013 to the 2014 model year.
The filters are NOT interchangeable.
On phone and at work. Your going to have to look it up.
The one you want for a 14 up has a mini tripod looking thing on the end of it.

Frydaddy

I see by the photo in the beginning of this write up the Eddie's 2012 has it also, why doesn't my 2014 have it?

the 2014 and up filters have the valve on the filter itself. If you mix up your caps, you won't get enough seal on the filter and your oil pressure will drop too.

2013 JK Pentastar 3.6 and 5w-20
Mopar 68079744AD (The last letter is a design revision, all will fit) box model MO-744
Purolator Classic L36135
Purolator PureONE PL36135
Wix 57526
Bosch 3335

2013 - no nipple. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2014 - nipple

2013Filter_zpse184b121.jpg 2014Filter_zpsaf2f6969.jpg

Edit: this 2013 version must be an old revision. The latest 2013 filters have four little tabs.

Last edited:

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the responses, got it all taken care of. Wonder why they changed it. Turned my 30 min. Oil change into a 3 hr Pima.

Desertman

The dealer must have used an air gun on mine could not get the drain plug out! Had to get a bolt extractor on it and replace the drain plug. Another thing to add to my list of complaints with the dealer.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Just finished an oil change on my 2014, started it to back out of the garage and in less than a minute the check engine light came on. Drain plug is in, fill cap is on. If the filter I installed looks like this IMG_0943.JPG instead of this IMG_0944.JPG would that cause it?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Frydaddy

Just finished an oil change on my 2014, started it to back out of the garage and in less than a minute the check engine light came on. Drain plug is in, fill cap is on. If the filter I installed looks like this instead of this would that cause it?

I dont know how much more clear I can get #84

you put a 2013 filter... into a 2014 engine.

yes, the filter is the problem.

Gadget

Caught the Bug

I dont know how much more clear I can get #84

you put a 2013 filter... into a 2014 engine.

yes, the filter is the problem.

Thanks, guess I will put the old one back in and go to the parts store.

Okay just got back from the parts store and for the slower types like myself the part number for the Purolator oil filter for the 2014 3.6 is L36296.

Last edited:

mauijim

So I'm changing my oil in my 2012 and pull the filter out and was getting ready to put the new one in when I heard a noise and it was this spring and plastic piece that I wasn't sure where it came from. I put my new filter in,which is the correct one for my year, and added the new oil and I drove to the store and back with no issues or low oil pressure. Are these something from the oil filter housing and should I be worried? IMG_0575.jpg

Journeyman

I couldn't tell you exactly without pulling mine out. But I believe that goes between your filter cap and filter. The filter locks into those four little clips. I would think not having this in there your filter would just be kind of floating around up and down and probably not actual filtering the oil.

Journeyman

So I'm changing my oil in my 2012 and pull the filter out and was getting ready to put the new one in when I heard a noise and it was this spring and plastic piece that I wasn't sure where it came from. I put my new filter in,which is the correct one for my year, and added the new oil and I drove to the store and back with no issues or low oil pressure. Are these something from the oil filter housing and should I be worried? View attachment 264182

Sorry for not tagging you. See post above. Yes you should be worried and re-install these parts.

mauijim

I didn't find them until I got back home. And the black plastic part appears broken. I thought someone had thrown a rock at me when I heard that noise. I'll have to look into this more. I was just wondering if this ever happened to anyone on here and what the verdict is and what to do to fix it.

Journeyman

I didn't find them until I got back home. And the black plastic part appears broken. I thought someone had thrown a rock at me when I heard that noise. I'll have to look into this more. I was just wondering if this ever happened to anyone on here and what the verdict is and what to do to fix it.

It's been a while since I changed my own oil, but i believe the wix filters I used came with some new parts in them. I remember there was new o rings for sure.

mauijim

Well I just found the fix. It's the oil filter bypass valve repair kit from Dorman products and the kit is number 917-992. It's like $24 and you don't have to replace the whole oil filter housing like they used to. This was like $200 I guess. And apparently they came up with this repair kit. So I guess I answered my own question but I wanted to share this. This is only for 11-13 3.6 penastar. They changed it for the 2014+ and that's why the filters are different. So I'm going to order this kit, but I'm thinking I'm gonna swap my oil filter housing anyway so I don't have to deal with this flaw again.

Top Bottom