JEEP TECH : How to Install ATX Slab Bead Lock Wheels Video w/ Off Road Evolution

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Hmm, maybe some folks with more experience, however, I was pretty certain you want that ring making contact with the wheel. My 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers mounted up to Slabs with no gap and the ring is solidly against the wheel.

If you have a gap, the bolts are providing all of the holding power. Also, the bolts could "bend" slightly since the ring is not flush. However, if the ring is flush to the wheel, the surface friction between the ring and wheel provides additional holding power (similar to the way lugs hold a wheel to the axle).

Big b

I talked to a representative at Spyderlock wheels (same wheels as ATX slabs) a couple of years ago about this same issue. His reply was that not all tires are created equal and some have thick beads. The ring should be torqued down evenly and you should get metal to metal contact. 25 ft/lbs is recommended torque setting, but if you have a tire with thicker beads you should not exceed 35ft/lbs to get even seating of the ring to wheel. I'm not sure if ATX or Spyderlock offer shims, but know that other bead lock manufactures do for this same issue.

But please don't take my word on this and call the manufacture.

Big b

No more than 22 - 24 ft/lbs per ATX instructions.
View attachment 146889

This is why I called Spyderlock (original manufacture of these wheels) when we had tires that wouldn't allow the ring to seat. Their instructions also stated to not exceed 25 ft/lbs. that's when I was given the max torque of 35 ft/lbs. This situation took 32 ft/lbs to have ring to wheel contact. I'm in no way saying that you should torque the bolts over ATX's recommend 24, but I would contact them before running the ring not completely seated.

sweno

Hey guys. Just for my Atx slabs. Was told that I can't run more than 18psi in them on the road. Is that true. What is the max I can put in them?

Top Bottom