If You Don't Think Like jeek.olllllllo - You're an Asshat

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
they can and thats how they know who is who, but ip addresses are given out by your internet service provider and if you change who you have for internet it can change as well, like i said its a great idea and i like it, i just wish it was do able

Thanks for explaining it for me. Makes total sense and yea I wish it was doable

Sent from my iPhone

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ah! Come on, Eddie. We were just starting to get along,lmao.:D But seroiusly, there has to be a way to lock the doggy door,lol.

Unfortunately, the determined always find a way.

Thank you for banning him Eddie. He is a joke.

Question: is there a way you are able to ban up addresses so he stays away this time?

While we can ban an IP Address, there's no point in it as it is very easy to get around. We've just been doing this a VERY LONG TIME and, in spite of what these trolls seem to think, they're not that original. We may not always catch them right away but, I've yet to meet a troll that can't keep his mouth shut and, when they do talk, we find everything we need to know then.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Don't care if you ban them. However I wanted to know if they ever found the pot of gold on this run? Guess we'll never know.

:cheesy:

TrailBear

Don't care if you ban them. However I wanted to know if they ever found the pot of gold on this run? Guess we'll never know.

:cheesy:

The little troll is still here so my guess is the leprechaun kicked his spoiled ass all the way home to mommy.

bl17z90

unless he is able to get the computers core mac address and even then you can get around it with scramblers and different computers and doing a wipe and reinstall on the hard drive will change the mac address. its a great idea but near impossible to do

Your network device (in this case the motherboard's ethernet port or network card) has a the mac address but I don't think you can change something that. And it really wouldn't be worth anyones time to dig deep enough into someone's computer to even get that information.

But the concept you were talking about is actually starting to be used on home networks. Someone can't connect to it unless you add their device's (phone, tablet, laptop) mac address to the list of allowed devices. However, like you said, people always find a way around these forms of protection.

Sent from my phone?

Hobolobo

Man, I sit down to watch a couple of football games, come back to check on things, and the ban hammer has come down twice. Thanks for keeping it classy around here Eddie.

TheDuff

But the concept you were talking about is actually starting to be used on home networks. Someone can't connect to it unless you add their device's (phone, tablet, laptop) mac address to the list of allowed devices. However, like you said, people always find a way around these forms of protection.

Sent from my phone?

That is Mac filtering and really not all that new. As far as implementation of that into the forum, it would be a huge headache and definitely more annoying that just finding and banning these guys when they resurface.:beer:

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rccrwlr

That is Mac filtering and really not all that new. As far as implementation of that into the forum, it would be a huge headache and definitely more annoying that just finding and banning these guys when they resurface.:beer:

I agree that would be a pain. I access the forum from any of 5 diff devices.

bl17z90

Well new to my world ;). I recently moved out of my parents house wherethey had an aging router so i was 't exposed to many new methods of security past wep encryption.

Oh and i never said it was a good idea :bleh:

Sent from my phone?

GuillaumeC91

unless he is able to get the computers core mac address and even then you can get around it with scramblers and different computers and doing a wipe and reinstall on the hard drive will change the mac address. its a great idea but near impossible to do

False. A technique can be used to hide your actual MAC address, by spoofing a new one, but your real MAC address cannot be changed as it is embedded in your ethernet network card. Besides, MAC adresses can only be read in internal networks as the operate at layer 2 of the OSI model. As soon as your internal network crosses a router, your computer's MAC address is lost, and the IP is replaced with the IP provided to you by your internet provider. This procedure is called NAT, or Native Address Translation.

Alright, class over. Now you guys know what my day job is. :D

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

bl17z90

False. A technique can be used to hide your actual MAC address, by spoofing a new one, but your real MAC address cannot be changed as it is embedded in your ethernet network card. Besides, MAC adresses can only be read in internal networks as the operate at layer 2 of the OSI model. As soon as your internal network crosses a router, your computer's MAC address is lost, and the IP is replaced with the IP provided to you by your internet provider. This procedure is called NAT, or Native Address Translation.

Alright, class over. Now you guys know what my day job is. :D

I'm an operation system guy not a network engineer :bleh:

Sent from my phone?

Tigrcky

I'm a Enterprise Level Systems Analyst but I do have a bit of networking background :p

Awesome, makes me feel a lot more geekier than I am! Haha

I only took a few classes in programming, mainly java and python languages, and as a hobby I assemble desktops and load OS's on them

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom