differential fluid over flow

JK's JK

Banned
Hi Guys,

So about 500 miles ago I got my gears changed out. The fluid keeps coming out of my breather tube and the other week it was a good amount on the ground. Is this normal? I have the ARB diff cover and today I looked at the rod that goes into the diff cover. There is a silver line and the fluid is way over that line. Is this normal?

David1tontj

Sounds like someone over-filled the crap out of your diff!! That is not normal

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

The Mrs did look a bit funny(er) with a grease spot on her ass walking thru walmart. Just couldnt bring myself to tell her about it, I really couldnt. :D

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

JK's JK

Banned
Before you drain any out,, HINT: Conman has a virgin driveway,lol

I dont think I should subject his driveway to the punishment. I think I'll drain it and put Lucus 80w140 weight in synthetic that everyone suggested.

Not since your axle leaked all over it. ;)

LOL

The Mrs did look a bit funny(er) with a grease spot on her ass walking thru walmart. Just couldnt bring myself to tell her about it, I really couldnt. :D

You just wanted a reason to look at your womans bottom!!! :cheesy:

JK's JK

Banned
So today I finally got the time to check the differential fluid out on the front end. The fluid is half way between the axle and I cant figure out why its still coming out of the breather tube. You guys have any idea? I'm starting to think I need to add fluid since it's not flush with the top of the axle tube.

dahreno

Banned
Mine was over filled once and coated everything under the jeep with that crap . It took quite awhile to get it all off .

Moochie

So today I finally got the time to check the differential fluid out on the front end. The fluid is half way between the axle and I cant figure out why its still coming out of the breather tube. You guys have any idea? I'm starting to think I need to add fluid since it's not flush with the top of the axle tube.

You still have to much in it. It should be about 1/4 up the axle tube.

JK's JK

Banned
You still have to much in it. It should be about 1/4 up the axle tube.

Thank you for the response. Looks like I may have misunderstood some post prior.......

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?7836-MAINTENANCE-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Differential-Fluid-Change-Write-Up

6. Proceed to refill your differential with gear oil. Please note that a front Dana 44 differential only needs 2.7 pints (1.35 quarts) and the rear only needs 4.75 pints (2.375 quarts). If you have factory covers, all you need to do is fill up your differentials until gear oil oozes out of the fill hole. If you have an after market differential cover that has a higher fill hole than factory, DO NOT be tempted to add any more gear oil than is needs. Doing so will result in a differential that is over-filled that will cause gear oil to get pumped out of the breather tube. If you are unsure how much you'll need in your axle, a good rule of thumb to follow is that you only need as much gear oil as is needed to get it to reach the bottom of your axle tubes. You can use a zip tie bent in a 90° angle to act as a dip stick to help you know where that is. NOTE: IF you have a limited slip differential, you will need to add friction modifier into your differential or, be sure to use a synthetic gear oil as it will have friction modifier in it.

JK's JK

Banned
Got the diff fluid over the weekend at 1/4 up from the bottom of the axle tube and no leaks anymore.

Thanks guys.

metaldemon

For a second there I though you were a friend that had the same problem with the same cover. It took a minute to figure out where all the oil was coming from on the trail with the mud, and snow. We also figured they over filled it when he had the oil changed.

Top Bottom