ATTENTION: Know Your Jeep JK Wrangler Coolants and Save Your Engine!

Frydaddy

Great info, this is why I went to the dealer's parts dept and asked them to look up what my particular vehicle takes. Always save receipts if there is a problem down the road you have a record. They gave me the 150K (purple-ish) stuff for my 2014. Pretty sure it was only $25 bucks or so, not sure where the OP got that price info.

Well it was four years ago, when this stuff was new to the market.

Clark Griswold

0422171241.jpg
I got the dreaded loss of heat on the drivers side, went to Chrysler and they said my coolants been mixed and I need a new radiator, heater core and oil cooler for the sum of $2k plus the unknowns of having your Jeep ripped apart. The only place I ever had coolant added was Valvoline and they advised me their Maxlife coolant mixed with everything except BMW. It certainly didn't appear there was any gelling or corrosion evident in the system so to be safe I had the whole system flushed and filled with Maxlife, still no heat on drivers side. Today I reverse flushed the heater core (line to water pump is where you hook up hose) and in the picture you can see what came out of the initial flush, once the coolant was all flushed out I continued to flush in both directions with hot water a few times, blew out the water and refilled the core with Maxlife, burped the system and for now I have full heat again. There might have been more crap in there but I didn't have any more containers. Hope this helps anyone if they have the same issue, I will post up again if I lose heat again, hoping this is it.

Sent from my VS987 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I got the dreaded loss of heat on the drivers side, went to Chrysler and they said my coolants been mixed and I need a new radiator, heater core and oil cooler for the sum of $2k plus the unknowns of having your Jeep ripped apart. The only place I ever had coolant added was Valvoline and they advised me their Maxlife coolant mixed with everything except BMW. It certainly didn't appear there was any gelling or corrosion evident in the system so to be safe I had the whole system flushed and filled with Maxlife, still no heat on drivers side. Today I reverse flushed the heater core (line to water pump is where you hook up hose) and in the picture you can see what came out of the initial flush, once the coolant was all flushed out I continued to flush in both directions with hot water a few times, blew out the water and refilled the core with Maxlife, burped the system and for now I have full heat again. There might have been more crap in there but I didn't have any more containers. Hope this helps anyone if they have the same issue, I will post up again if I lose heat again, hoping this is it.

Sent from my VS987 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Glad it all worked out for you. I've been needing to do this for a long time. I haven't had heat on my drivers side for awhile.

naysjp

Almost had a heart attack, called the dealership these are the same!
69163848aa
69163848ab

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Just experienced this today. The 69163848ab supersedes the first number. I read this article AGAIN, had two different people check the part number. I purchased this part number which is a 50/50 blend for $23.00/gal at the dealership here in San Diego. I was first told by another Jeeper that it was $60 from a dealership so I was prepared to pay that. Very grateful that she told me I had to get Mopar coolant for this JK as I grew up in a household that used Prestone. Nice it was available locally while I waited for an oil change.

deezus

Just experienced this today. The 69163848ab supersedes the first number. I read this article AGAIN, had two different people check the part number. I purchased this part number which is a 50/50 blend for $23.00/gal at the dealership here in San Diego. I was first told by another Jeeper that it was $60 from a dealership so I was prepared to pay that. Very grateful that she told me I had to get Mopar coolant for this JK as I grew up in a household that used Prestone. Nice it was available locally while I waited for an oil change.
Its actually concentrated. That means you have to mix it with water.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Frydaddy

The last letter is the revision. It applies to most of Mopar. The first 8 numbers are what to look at.

2013+ Wranglers 3.6L
68163848AB is full concentrate OAT
68163849AB is 50/50 premix OAT

2012- Wranglers 3.8L
68048953AB Full Concentrate HOAT
68051212AB 50/50 HOAT

I would recommend full concentrate, and cut it yourself with distilled water from the grocery store, to save some cash.

naysjp

The last letter is the revision. It applies to most of Mopar. The first 8 numbers are what to look at.

I would recommend full concentrate, and cut it yourself with distilled water from the grocery store, to save some cash.

I got the premix - 68163849AB (OAT) for my 2014. It was $21 plus tax so I just purchased it. Seems easier to just pour than mixing stuff. I am even going to write OAT on my fill bottle.

Frydaddy

I got the premix - 68163849AB (OAT) for my 2014. It was $21 plus tax so I just purchased it. Seems easier to just pour than mixing stuff. I am even going to write OAT on my fill bottle.

If only they could put those THREE FUCKING LETTERS (sometimes four) on the side of the damn bottle from the factory! Gosh i hate big business.

ditterdame

Ooops..not sure how to use this format.. I need to delete one. Sorry.
But I felt this was great info...so thought I would buy some... and this is what Amazon says.... so not sure of myself

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom