Recovery strap breaks killing two people

BigPrince

My Warn Spydura synthetic rope snapped two weekends ago when trying to winch the Jeep out of a bad spot. it went limp and didn't snap back like cable. Always run synthetic unless you absolutely can't. If you have cable I urge you to switch to synthetic when you have the money.

Ddays

Hooked
Yeah, it's basically north Mexico.

:cheesy:;)

Fucking North Mexicans....

Seriously, is it just me or is it disturbing that people feel the need to video every goddam thing in the world? I mean, I can see taking the vid of the recovery attempt but did we need to see a close up of the poor bastards' heads???? :icon_crazy: Maybe put the camera down & see if you can assist them? Damn.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Seriously, is it just me or is it disturbing that people feel the need to video every goddam thing in the world? I mean, I can see taking the vid of the recovery attempt but did we need to see a close up of the poor bastards' heads???? :icon_crazy: Maybe put the camera down & see if you can assist them? Damn.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bfb1fUTXCy0

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jkris

Assistance may be too late for them unfortunately. It's a shame this happened and hopefully someone learned a lesson from this.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Assistance may be too late for them unfortunately. It's a shame this happened and hopefully someone learned a lesson from this.

Yah, I agree but damn, they ran up & shoved the camera in those guys faces without even checking....:grayno:
Sad that there are videos all over the internet where there is more of a concern with getting the shot than the well being of the people in the accident or whatnot.

jkris

Yah, I agree but damn, they ran up & shoved the camera in those guys faces without even checking....:grayno:
Sad that there are videos all over the internet where there is more of a concern with getting the shot than the well being of the people in the accident or whatnot.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. The cameraman should have stopped filming out of respect at the very least.
I think the internet has only made people more numb to death and dismemberment because it is so readily accessible.
By the way, someone mentioned it was so-cal? It sure looks like India to me.

Went back to look and the poster of the video said India.

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
I agree with you wholeheartedly. The cameraman should have stopped filming out of respect at the very least.
I think the internet has only made people more numb to death and dismemberment because it is so readily accessible.

I did a double take on that too - he meant it happened in SoCal as well.

Brute

Hooked

A few years ago a husband & wife were filming pilot whales off Maui while free diving...the alpha male came up and grabbed the wife by the ankle and dragged her down to about 60 feet...the husband captures everything on video...while I'm watching this, I'm wondering when is he going to stop filming and start to help his wife...after another 30 seconds, it appears she is going to drown when the whale opens his mouth and lets her go...as she flails to get to the surface, her husband is still rolling film...

Not sure if they're still married...

BaddestCross

Went back to look and the poster of the video said India.

Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't talking about the OP of this thread, was referring to the photo that revived this thread.

attachment.php

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

CalSgt

Hooked
Thread revival - Don't use a 12" drop hitch as a recovery point when trying to yank a 9000 pound truck sunk to the frame out of a mud hole. Many of us would say that it's common sense, and @OverlanderJK would call them fucking idiots. I'll share it here so maybe some forum member who doesn't know any better won't kill themself or someone else being a fucking idiot.

July 26, 2022
"With minimal recovery gear with him and years of off roading experience he like many other people across the world, worked with what he had on hand. A chain stretched across both factory front recovery points a 3” static HD tow strap and a drop down hitch with a 2” ball connected to the rear of his 4WD truck. The first few attempts failed with one of the chains failing to be strong enough and broke after the second pull. After that the strap was connected directly to one front tow point. After a few light tugs the truck wasn’t budging. Knowing more force was needed to pluck this 9,000lb truck out of the mud he backed up a few feet to get a better start. That turned out to be too much stress for the ball hitch when the extra tension was created by the force of the pull it ripped the drop down portion of the hitch off of the truck, sending it and the strap directly towards Ryans truck smashing through the windshield, directly where Ryan was in the Driver seat. The force was so great it ripped through the windshield and bent the steering wheel before ultimately striking Ryan in the face, ending his life. With his family in the car, an afternoon full of fun and excitement turned into a traumatizing experience, this family will never be the same. Ryan was a loving Husband of 23 years with his wife Jennifer and he leaves behind 3 kids Darren Woods 27, Madison Woods 13, and Londyn Woods 10. And also friendship of 20 years now with the reality he lost his friend from the this freak accident. Ryan served everyone he came in to contact with, even strangers, he loved deeply and forgave quickly his Legacy will not be forgotten and live on with his children."

296292904_5244560918933160_1963509759783503483_n.jpg

296567939_5244560785599840_621837779645559610_n.jpg

296171960_5244560725599846_6064905352019028968_n.jpg

296488942_5244560788933173_3020714456788099328_n.jpg

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
What a fucking idiot! You nailed that one.

“With years of off-roading experience” he should have known that shot wouldn’t work. And to put his family in danger with them in the truck. This dude and the other idiot pulling is lucky they didn’t kill more people. The puller dude should be arrested for murder.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
“This friend a known off roader, racer, and mechanic came out in his 4x4 hoping for just a quick pull out of the mud so he could get back to his Jacuzzi waiting for him at home.”

This part was out too. That dude is a fucking retard.

Top Bottom