Not be beat a dead horse but...NEW Teraflex Tire Carrier BREAK

JAGS

Hooked
It seems to me that my tailgate is sagging. I don't know if that's because of the tire weight(35 duratrac) but i was just thinking the hinge would beef it up so as not to let the tailgate sag anymore.

Why not just replace with new factory hinges and save the money to buy a real carrier that doesn't rely on them at all. The terabreak hinge is still relying on the stock hinge supports for strength. 😳😳😳

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
It seems to me that my tailgate is sagging. I don't know if that's because of the tire weight(35 duratrac) but i was just thinking the hinge would beef it up so as not to let the tailgate sag anymore.

So what exactly is your gate doing? Rattling? Hard to close? If it's really messed up, I'd look into a carrier that takes the weight off of it.

VipermanGT2

Why not just replace with new factory hinges and save the money to buy a real carrier that doesn't rely on them at all. The terabreak hinge is still relying on the stock hinge supports for strength. 

This is true. Good call. Maybe new factory hinges could hold me over until I can get a new bumper with carrier. Thanks!

Sharkey

Word Ninja

I'd try tightening up what you have long before I would spend the money on the TF hinge. There is no reason why your factory hinges shouldn't be able to hold a 35 Duratrac just fine.

VipermanGT2

I'd try tightening up what you have long before I would spend the money on the TF hinge. There is no reason why your factory hinges shouldn't be able to hold a 35 Duratrac just fine.

Thanks! Definitely going to get on it tomorrow and see if it helps.

CZEBJKU

This product is obviously a potential (I use "potential" loosely) hazard to the health and safety of the public then shouldn't it be reported to the CPSC for investigation? Idk. Sharkey?

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

NAUJK

I've been wondering about this product too. My understand of the hinge was that the factory spare tire mount bolts into captured nuts in the thin sheet metal of the tailgate. Since the factory rubicon wheel/tire is heavier than 75lbs, it cracks the sheet metal on the tailgate. Thus the Teraflex hinge spreads the load to the hinge assembly instead of just the sheet metal. And the Teraflex hinge is made of aluminum right? Has anyone broken just the $475 hinge part?

Not that I know of but the the stock hinges are not the problem with this carrier or the stock carrier the stock hinges can hold up just fine.

The Offroad Evolution Evolander has been running from what I know is a 37" tire with beadlock on the stock carrier for quite sometime now and with Mel driving and not having a problem, if done correctly the stock carrier and hinges will hold up just fine.

Though I am curious as to why you brought this thread back to life after 2 months. :hmm:

Top Bottom