Moby's First Snow of the Season!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do you know if the new Nitto At's work well?

The Nitto AT's work well in snow but what I really want to test out are their new Exo Grapplers that just came out. I have no experience with them but would love to test them out.

warrkill

The Nitto AT's work well in snow but what I really want to test out are their new Exo Grapplers that just came out. I have no experience with them but would love to test them out.

I will be moving to North Dakota at the end of the month so I may need to buy those and try test them out. I was curious about them as well.

Jaydoc1

About as good as any MT without any siping. :crazyeyes: :D Seriously, they work surprisingly well but I think the Toyo MT's I had before do a bit better. If you do a lot of snow/ice driving, you'd be better off with a set of AT's

I'd have to agree with this. I think my OEMs did better in the snow and definitely better on the ice. That being said the Trail Grapplers did a perfectly acceptable job. Just not quite as grippy as the OEMs. I've actually thought about throwing the stock wheel/tire combo back on for the winter but my JK looks too much like a roller skate with them on now.

CanadianJK

Eddie, I see your point about not affecting illumination, but TL has heated options now and I would recommend them for anyone seeing what I would call a 'real winter'.

I bought cheapo LEDs for my stock housing to test the theory, and believe me the lack of heat renders them damn near useless. I can't confirm that a TL wouldn't shine through a bit more, but if all I'm seeing are my fogs, well why bother with lights at all?

There is obviously a big difference between wet heavy snow, and the kind of -35C weather that I tend to see, but my testing experience made up my mind that the heated TLs are all I'll risk running.

Note: an average drive to the city on a weekend is about 300km each way, and I've already done it in an ice storm, and in a snow storm. So ours are not comparable situations imo. Apples and oranges. But there's my 0.02.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, I see your point about not affecting illumination, but TL has heated options now and I would recommend them for anyone seeing what I would call a 'real winter'.

I bought cheapo LEDs for my stock housing to test the theory, and believe me the lack of heat renders them damn near useless. I can't confirm that a TL wouldn't shine through a bit more, but if all I'm seeing are my fogs, well why bother with lights at all?

There is obviously a big difference between wet heavy snow, and the kind of -35C weather that I tend to see, but my testing experience made up my mind that the heated TLs are all I'll risk running.

Note: an average drive to the city on a weekend is about 300km each way, and I've already done it in an ice storm, and in a snow storm. So ours are not comparable situations imo. Apples and oranges. But there's my 0.02.

:cheesy: Ummm, definitely apples to oranges comparison and really, I'm not arguing that the new heated Truck-Lite LEDs aren't a BETTER investment especially for guys like you. As you can see in my pics, even in my wimpy snow storm, snow still built up on the lights. All I was trying to do is show a real world (at least for me) example of what I have seen. That's all.

Sessoms14X

Great pictures Eddie, I hate the cold but driving in the snow is fun. We don't have any snow here in Iowa, keeps melting shortly after it falls. Just waiting for another snowfall to happen so I can go slide around.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Im dying for some real snow. As for tires, I am of the opinion that if you live in a place where the now remains snow (ie, bitter cold) you can get away with MTs.....but if you live in a place where it turns to slush and then ice, you are much better off with a good AT. The Duratracs are king of the hill in that department, and the new Nitto Exo's are the new contender and look very promising. General Grabber AT2s seem to have popular reviews as well, just not on jeeps.

Top Bottom