WAYALIFE.com - Rock Hard 4x4 Open Tech / Install / Support Line

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Great thread. Impressive to see a company as dedicated to helping their customers as Rockhard4x4 is. And they are just as nice in person; ordered my cage and picked it up from Lou in person. Stand up guy!

I do have a question, however. I'm looking at the Rock Rack Cargo basket for the rear bumper, and I would love to order one except I don't have a Rockhard4x4 rear bumper. Think it'll work with any tire carrier with similar design? Eventually I'll replace the bumper with a Rockhard4x4 bumper, but for now this is all I've got :)

Hi Jason,

Just a quick update. I don't have enough time to go to my JK this afternoon as it is in a rented garage few streets away from my house. It's only a short drive but I have only few hours between night shifts so I don't have the time today but tonight is my last shifts so I will definitely try your Trick with a piece of Timber tomorrow or Friday.

I had time to watch your Video which explains clearly how to sort out the issues that I have. If I had known about this video I would not have contacted you without trying to sort out myself first. Especially now I know that the height of the Dash Bar has an impact on the position of the side panels.

Also I went back to my workshop and searched for the rectangular shims that you described. I found them with the Tap in a box mixed with spares which belong to my new Front Bumper that I bought almost at same time I bought your Roll Cage. So I am sorry if I told you they were not with the Hardware when the Cage arrived. I must have wondered what they were for and I stored them with the wrong spares.

I will keep you updated on my progress.

Thanks,

Chris

Great thread. Impressive to see a company as dedicated to helping their customers as Rockhard4x4 is. And they are just as nice in person; ordered my cage and picked it up from Lou in person. Stand up guy!

I do have a question, however. I'm looking at the Rock Rack Cargo basket for the rear bumper, and I would love to order one except I don't have a Rockhard4x4 rear bumper. Think it'll work with any tire carrier with similar design? Eventually I'll replace the bumper with a Rockhard4x4 bumper, but for now this is all I've got :)

Our RH-2004 will work with any rear bumper that uses 2" x 2" square tubing welded in an a-frame design.

Hi Jason,

Just a quick update. I don't have enough time to go to my JK this afternoon as it is in a rented garage few streets away from my house. It's only a short drive but I have only few hours between night shifts so I don't have the time today but tonight is my last shifts so I will definitely try your Trick with a piece of Timber tomorrow or Friday.

I had time to watch your Video which explains clearly how to sort out the issues that I have. If I had known about this video I would not have contacted you without trying to sort out myself first. Especially now I know that the height of the Dash Bar has an impact on the position of the side panels.

Also I went back to my workshop and searched for the rectangular shims that you described. I found them with the Tap in a box mixed with spares which belong to my new Front Bumper that I bought almost at same time I bought your Roll Cage. So I am sorry if I told you they were not with the Hardware when the Cage arrived. I must have wondered what they were for and I stored them with the wrong spares.

I will keep you updated on my progress.

Thanks,

Chris
Chris,
Sounds like you are good to go!

Jason

Chris,
Sounds like you are good to go!

Jason

Hi Jason,

Sorry for the delay to reply but I took the opportunity to remove the side panels and the dash bar to re-paint it in Black instead of the clear grey that I originally thought would look good.

Anyway I first tried your trick with a piece of timber inserted in the grab handle to make lever after of course loosening every bolts. I managed to push inwards the side panels as instructed but as soon as I re-tightened the 3 side panels bolts the results was the same and the plates come out again.

So I tried with the thinner shim first, then with the thicker shim and I finally taped both shims together on each side and as you can see on my new pictures the result is a neat improvement on the passenger side (Left side in UK) and a slight improvement on my driver side. On the driver side it is very close once the door is closed but I managed to slide a thin sheet of cardboard between the plate and the closed door so I know it is not touching the door anymore so I will have the inside of the door re-painted to make it good.

As for the wind noise coming from the soft Top I checked the Soft Top from above (see picture) and you can see there is a huge gap which I don't think is due to the Roll Cage since all the bolts are back in place and properly tightened.
I found posts on this site where guys who had similar issue bought a roll of sticky weatherstrip so I did exactly that and the result is good too. No more wind noise coming from the Top of Windscreen at Motorway speed.

So I would like to thank you for your help Jason. I am very happy with my Roll Cage now and I recommend your company to the UK Jeep Forums.

Kind regards,

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_1750[5155].JPG
    IMG_1750[5155].JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1752[5157].JPG
    IMG_1752[5157].JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1804[5151].JPG
    IMG_1804[5151].JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 45