Hiking. Day, Thru, Section, Ultralight to Traditional

dchew

Caught the Bug
You should go in September. No bugs and the river crossings are easier. But no flowers or snow either so it is maybe not as pretty.

Dave

WJCO

Meme King
Bump. Glad to see we have a backpacking thread. That's actually what got me into Jeeping. Love the remote places. I'm definitely a minimalist/ultralighter by nature when hiking, but still always have preparedness supplies. I carry about 15 lbs base weight in the summer and 20 in the winter. No technical rope climbing for me but I'll do some class 3 snow climbing in the spring and love climbing 14ers. I'll post some gear pics when I have time.

Last edited:

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Bump. Glad to see we have a backpacking thread. That's actually what got me into Jeeping. Love the remote places. I'm definitely a minimalist/ultralighter by nature when hiking, but still always have preparedness supplies. I carry about 15 lbs base weight in the summer and 20 in the winter. No technical rope climbing for me but I'll do some class 3 snow climbing in the spring and love climbing 14ers. I'll post some gear pics when I have time.

Thanks for bumping! I enjoyed reading through and hope to add to it!

Nice.
Forgot about this thread.

WJCO

Meme King
I don't have many pics handy right now but here's a view from Torreys Peak.

ahnu hike pics (1).jpg

And here's a bull moose we saw in Indian Peaks wilderness.

ahnu shoes (3).jpg

Did you end up getting that UL3? I have the UL2 and am pretty happy with it. The only con for me is with 11 stakes, it's a PITA to set up in the snow. Other than that, I love it.

I ended up finding a great deal on a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2. Little bit heavier than the Fly Creek at 3 pounds but it's huge inside for solo trips. Able to put everything inside with me at night.

Brute

Hooked
My hiking days ended with a herniated disc at the L5/S1 in 2003...but very much enjoyed extended backpacking trips prior to that...climbed Mt Chirripo in Costa Rica @ 12,500+ ft...only place you can see both the Pacific & Atlantic oceans at once...hiked the Kalalau Trail, Napali Coast on Kaui several times...spent the night in a 2 man tent above Hakaano Valley on the sea cliffs of Molokai during Hurricane Iwa on my way to Pelekunu Valley from Halawa Valley, Molokai...

But like Overlander said, it's all by 4low these days...

WJCO

Meme King
Sawtooth Mountain Backpacking Trip

Went on a great backpacking trip over the weekend. Climbed Sawtooth Mountain. It's the sharp and pointy one in the pictures. The entire sky was clear for the climb except for the peak itself. It was cloud-covered until we reached the summit. On the way down it finally cleared up. Other than the cold wind at the top, this was one of the most beautiful hikes I've been on. Sorry for the photo dump, but I had a lot of cool pics.

DSC03920.jpg

DSC03962.jpg

DSC03954.JPG

DSC03950.jpg

DSC03949.jpg

DSC03946.jpg

DSC03944.jpg

DSC03942.jpg

DSC03937.jpg

DSC03936.jpg

DSC03933.jpg

DSC03932.jpg

DSC03929.jpg

DSC03925.jpg

DSC03924.jpg

DSC03922.jpg

DSC03917.jpg

DSC03918.jpg

DSC03963.jpg

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Went on a great backpacking trip over the weekend. Climbed Sawtooth Mountain. It's the sharp and pointy one in the pictures. The entire sky was clear for the climb except for the peak itself. It was cloud-covered until we reached the summit. On the way down it finally cleared up. Other than the cold wind at the top, this was one of the most beautiful hikes I've been on. Sorry for the photo dump, but I had a lot of cool pics.
Terrific photos! Looks like a great hike! Thanks for sharing!

Ddays

Hooked

Man, I never get tired of looking at photos of your mountains out there.

Thanks for sharing! Looks like a great hike

WJCO

Meme King
Went out and snowshoed today. Sadly, it's my first time getting out this Winter. It was a beautiful day though, about 40F but no wind. Took my daughter with me and went into the backcountry. Even got to build a snowman. Followed fresh moose tracks the whole way but never saw it.

DSC05347.jpg

DSC05326.jpg

DSC05322.jpg

DSC05346.jpg

DSC05344.jpg

DSC05342.jpg

DSC05337.jpg

DSC05336.jpg

DSC05327.jpg

DSC05334.jpg

DSC05332.jpg

DSC05355.jpg

DSC05349.jpg

sipafz

Caught the Bug
We section hiked 27 miles of the Ice Age Trail at the Kettle Moraine, Northern Unit. We started Monday morning and hiked 15 miles before setting up camp at one of the shelters and then finished the next day. Here are some pictures:

Studying the map for the 100th time:

IMG_4869.jpg

All smiles at the start:

IMG_4871.jpg

Nice view:

IMG_4886.jpg

Camp:

IMG_4901.jpg

Perfect morning:

IMG_4904.jpg

Coffee brewing:

IMG_4903.jpg

Butler Lake:

IMG_4909.jpg

Trail art:

IMG_4919.jpg

PROJKUR

We section hiked 27 miles of the Ice Age Trail at the Kettle Moraine, Northern Unit. We started Monday morning and hiked 15 miles before setting up camp at one of the shelters and then finished the next day. Here are some pictures:

Looks awesome!!

WJCO

Meme King
Got to take my oldest son on a backpacking trip this weekend. It's a beautiful spot we go to from time to time with a raging river and far away from people. We even got to see three Mink chasing each other and they didn't even realize we were there and ran right under the rock we were standing by and trapped themselves. Pictures of them running around were shitty, but I got a couple clear ones while they were in the rock.

DSC06637.jpg

way (5).jpg

way (4).jpg

DSC06700.jpg

DSC06668.jpg

DSC06665.jpg

DSC06660.jpg

DSC06659.jpg

DSC06655.jpg

DSC06645.jpg

way (6).jpg

Hanging the food for the night:

DSC06673.jpg

Good spot for a beer holder:

way (3).jpg

This river is about 30 feet from camp. We got lots of bites but only one small trout.

DSC06682.jpg

DSC06688.jpg

DSC06689.jpg

DSC06692.jpg

And just a trick for any of you backpackers that I learned from a guy who does glacier climbing. To bring water back to camp, if you are in a tough spot, a collapsable bucket and some paracord weighs almost nothing to carry and you can dip it down as far as you want depending on your area to capture water and carry it back to camp.

way (1).jpg

PROJKUR

Couple weekends ago in WA. 3 nighter (first night at the trailhead when we arrived at 3am).

IMG_2260.JPG

First night at the trailhead. First night in a hammock instead of a tent. Let me tell you, changed my life! Hammock camping is the way to go!!!!

IMG_2266.JPG

IMG_2267.JPG

Wildflowers were out of control!

IMG_2272.JPG

IMG_1776.JPG

Made it to the PCT!

IMG_2275.JPG

Kitchen with a view?

IMG_2292.JPG

IMG_2335.JPG

IMG_2349.JPG

Third night on the trail. Awesome lake spot

IMG_2358.JPG

IMG_1771.JPG

Always a good time being out in the woods! Definitely summiting next time I'm in the PNW.

Top Bottom