WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

xwaz

I didn't know that either. What do the newer ones look like?
And they glow green when the back lighting is on. Same color as the factory radio. These may be either from and update or they may have been an option.
IMG_20160916_152651863.jpg

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

WJCO

Meme King
Swapped all my grease zerks out today with the low clearance ones, even on the upper ball joints.

IMG_20170423_141953_540.jpg

IMG_20170423_142058_211.jpg

IMG_20170423_142138_807.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Swapped all my grease zerks out today with the low clearance ones, even on the upper ball joints.

Nice! All my control arm zerks are up on top of the arms and up front, nothing short of pulling them one by one will allow me to reach them with a grease gun :rolleyes2:

Ddays

Hooked
Is it just me or are those low clearance zerks easier to get grease in? Half the time with standard zerks I'm squeezing the living shit outta the gun handle only to have the gun splooge the damn grease everywhere but into the zerk. And that's while holding the hose into the zerk. I'm tempted to change all mine out.

Sent from my VS985 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is it just me or are those low clearance zerks easier to get grease in? Half the time with standard zerks I'm squeezing the living shit outta the gun handle only to have the gun splooge the damn grease everywhere but into the zerk. And that's while holding the hose into the zerk. I'm tempted to change all mine out.

What you might be encountering is that your standard zerks are bottoming out and that can make it difficult to near impossible to get grease in.

Brute

Hooked
Exactly why we bought it. That was us one day. Luckily when we ran into it, we turned around and were able to get home. Made me think that it would be a good idea to carry one.

I have a folding saw...but if it's a big tree, I'm screwed...chain saw is a good idea

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

DWiggles

Caught the Bug

What you might be encountering is that your standard zerks are bottoming out and that can make it difficult to near impossible to get grease in.

Huh, never thought of that. Might need to look at tbat. Thx!

I had this same issue! I just chalked it up to joints not needing grease :idontknow:

so should I back out the zerks maybe 1/8-1/4 turn and give it another shot? or do we need to replace the fittings?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I had this same issue! I just chalked it up to joints not needing grease :idontknow:

so should I back out the zerks maybe 1/8-1/4 turn and give it another shot? or do we need to replace the fittings?

That's where I would start. If that doesn't work, remove the zerk, clean it out and verify that grease can pass through it. If all is good there, you may need to use a pistol with a higher psi to push past the dried and crusty grease or, pull your control arm one end at a time to work the joint around manually to help free things up.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
That's where I would start. If that doesn't work, remove the zerk, clean it out and verify that grease can pass through it. If all is good there, you may need to use a pistol with a higher psi to push past the dried and crusty grease or, pull your control arm one end at a time to work the joint around manually to help free things up.

Great info! I'll give this a go next time I'm under the jeep :thumb:

sorry for the thread jack WJCO

WJCO

Meme King
Great idea on the zerks.

It was recommended to me by highoctane for ease of grease using the same needle and another member coop recommended flipping the arms so the zerks weren't hanging down. I think this is a good compromise and hope I don't hit them.

Great info! I'll give this a go next time I'm under the jeep :thumb:

sorry for the thread jack WJCO

No problem. I enjoyed the dialogue. I may look into it as well. I have a couple that stopped taking grease, this may be why.

Top Bottom