VM Motori V6 Diesel Engine - Probablity for the 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler?

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
That's almost a year old now... which is forever in future vehicle guessing lol. What he said about hard points means if nothing about vehicle size changed, Ie engine compartment, passenger compartment etc. If they want it to fit it will fit.

Maybe you should research more than one source.

Exactly right! Here is another article that I just can't make up.

For the record, I hope that Chrysler releases the 3.0 so I'm not trying to fight you on this... Of course anything is possible at this point and manufacturers have been known in the past to change on a dime for no apparent reason. I can't speak for you or anyone else for that matter, but as far as third party's are concerned, allpar has been a known and reputable source for Chrysler for over 20 years, I trust what they have to say vs "auto blog" and "jalopnik" no offense. Besides, if you actually read what you posted vs what I posted, the allpar article is very specific whereas yours are rather vague.

As far as researching more than one quote... Did I fail to mention that i work for Chrysler and have for a number of years? I work at a local dealership in a management capacity and I speak to our rep frequently(on a weekly basis). In doing so, I am privy to information that most don't have. The one thing I can tell you for sure is that the eight speed transmission is happening. Chrysler has used it with success on other vehicles and it helps contribute both better MPG and performance. It could happen as early as 2017. The diesel option is most likely going to happen but it hinges on two things. Sorting out emissions and gauging the sales numbers of the current light duty diesels to see if there will be enough demand even though the jeep community has been begging for it. 2018 is a possibility but it could be 2019 or later or not at all.

I do hope they make the diesel platform in the wrangler, I am a huge proponent but at this point it's still speculation so arguing over what might be is kind of silly don't you think? I do hope its the 3.0 because they drive nice and perform well but one thing to think about is that they already make wrangler diesels with the 2.8. From a cost standpoint it just makes more sense.

Heholua

For the record, I hope that Chrysler releases the 3.0 so I'm not trying to fight you on this... Of course anything is possible at this point and manufacturers have been known in the past to change on a dime for no apparent reason. I can't speak for you or anyone else for that matter, but as far as third party's are concerned, allpar has been a known and reputable source for Chrysler for over 20 years, I trust what they have to say vs "auto blog" and "jalopnik" no offense. Besides, if you actually read what you posted vs what I posted, the allpar article is very specific whereas yours are rather vague.

As far as researching more than one quote... Did I fail to mention that i work for Chrysler and have for a number of years? I work at a local dealership in a management capacity and I speak to our rep frequently(on a weekly basis). In doing so, I am privy to information that most don't have. The one thing I can tell you for sure is that the eight speed transmission is happening. Chrysler has used it with success on other vehicles and it helps contribute both better MPG and performance. It could happen as early as 2017. The diesel option is most likely going to happen but it hinges on two things. Sorting out emissions and gauging the sales numbers of the current light duty diesels to see if there will be enough demand even though the jeep community has been begging for it. 2018 is a possibility but it could be 2019 or later or not at all.

I do hope they make the diesel platform in the wrangler, I am a huge proponent but at this point it's still speculation so arguing over what might be is kind of silly don't you think? I do hope its the 3.0 because they drive nice and perform well but one thing to think about is that they already make wrangler diesels with the 2.8. From a cost standpoint it just makes more sense.

I'm not going to argue this with you either, my point was that there are numerous articles on the net about this topic and until it rolls on the showroom floor, it's all speculation.

No offense, but if you work for Chrysler and have access to this information, why do you put value into speculative articles that are a year old?

I'm not going to argue this with you either, my point was that there are numerous articles on the net about this topic and until it rolls on the showroom floor, it's all speculation.

Yes there are several articles on the net but if you look closely at all of them, the ones on allpar are all sourced and feature quotes from real people.

No offense, but if you work for Chrysler and have access to this information, why do you put value into speculative articles that are a year old?

Good question, keep in mind, I'm at the dealership level. While I am able to get some information before it's released, they also like to keep us in the dark as well. For example, if they told me a diesel was coming next year 100%, how many sales do you think it would cost us for the last of the 2016 models?

Yes that article is a year old, there are newer ones but that one goes the most in depth specifically relating to the diesels.

Ubbb69

Not sure if this size of vehicle will have the same indicators as large trucks but all the trucks at my work with DEF systems have warning lights to let you know you need to regenerate your engine (burn off the exhaust buildup) well before it makes you do it. Yes it is very hot and could start a fire if done in a field. So with that being said lots of us use or Jeeps as daily drivers I don't see this as an issue. We could burn off the buildup before we hit the trails or even wait until we're done and off the trail in a gravel lot.

I was not aware you could force a dpf burn on large trucks. I am on my 2nd dpf equipped 3/4 ton truck and neither had a gauge or a force burn button. What they do have is the capacity to cut engine horsepower if it has not been able to start a burn in to long. Burns seem to happen around 500-600 miles apart. They take up to 30 mins to complete. They happen a lot more often if the rig idles often and in city driving. Knowing what I know know I would not want a dpf rig for short commuter vehicle, or offroad vehicle.

You can delete the whole dpf system but open yourself up to federal fines. Also having to reinstall if emissions test are needed for plates.

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
I was not aware you could force a dpf burn on large trucks. I am on my 2nd dpf equipped 3/4 ton truck and neither had a gauge or a force burn button. What they do have is the capacity to cut engine horsepower if it has not been able to start a burn in to long. Burns seem to happen around 500-600 miles apart. They take up to 30 mins to complete. They happen a lot more often if the rig idles often and in city driving. Knowing what I know know I would not want a dpf rig for short commuter vehicle, or offroad vehicle.

You can delete the whole dpf system but open yourself up to federal fines. Also having to reinstall if emissions test are needed for plates.

We've looked into deleting the whole DPF system here in Europe as it can be a major pita......it was fairly easy on the 177hp version but on the 200hp latest version of the 2.8 vm the system is really intricate and the coding and electronics are really complex to delete. So far nobody is doing it. (In addition to that the euro5 and coming euro6 emissions laws are enforced and it is going to be impossible -or difficulty feasible- to work around those with the manadatory tests required on yearly, or more, basis. That is why my next rig is gas powered.......:doh:.......even though diesel torque is really something for crawling around.

We've looked into deleting the whole DPF system here in Europe as it can be a major pita......it was fairly easy on the 177hp version but on the 200hp latest version of the 2.8 vm the system is really intricate and the coding and electronics are really complex to delete. So far nobody is doing it. (In addition to that the euro5 and coming euro6 emissions laws are enforced and it is going to be impossible -or difficulty feasible- to work around those with the manadatory tests required on yearly, or more, basis. That is why my next rig is gas powered.......:doh:.......even though diesel torque is really something for crawling around.

DPFs are a pita. I deleted mine with a middle eastern tune. There are better options for my model year now, but that was when it was new. It was a 07.5 Ram 2500. You might want to see if anyone has gotten a copy of the stock tune for Middle Eastern Diesel Wranglers. They don't have the same Emissions nonsense that we have to deal with so they probably still come from the factory with no DPF etc.

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
DPFs are a pita. I deleted mine with a middle eastern tune. There are better options for my model year now, but that was when it was new. It was a 07.5 Ram 2500. You might want to see if anyone has gotten a copy of the stock tune for Middle Eastern Diesel Wranglers. They don't have the same Emissions nonsense that we have to deal with so they probably still come from the factory with no DPF etc.

good idea.....even though the only areas Iknow of getting diesels are Europe north south east, South Africa, Australia and North African countries.....I don't believe any mid-east country is getting the diesel at this time, but i might be wrong.

Top Bottom