Northridge4x4 - REMOVED AS A VENDOR

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Well, the wife and I were just discussing a few days ago how we have purchased most of the parts for this build from Northridge and we were thinking of trying out Trail Jeeps for this next round of modifications. We have heard nothing but great things about them. Looks like there is a very good reason to do just that now. To blatantly rip off the format of someone else's hard work is telling of the morals of the folks in charge of that project. I have not seen the video in question, but honestly I don't need to. I have yet to see any Jeep related videos with the same authenticity and quality as Wayalife videos.

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
While I'm sure this will come as no huge surprise to some, I support Eddie's position 100%. There comes a point in time (at least for most people anyway) where "enough is enough" and you must stand up for what you know is right. From my perspective, and these are my words and not anyone else's, Northridge has been increasingly using this site in an attempt to position itself to make money doing far more than just reselling Jeep parts. Frankly, I find it disgusting. And for anyone who has been in this game for more than five years, you know that Northridge owes a lot of its success to the forums that Eddie has laboriously built. Seeing Northridge pimp videos which, regardless of the quality (or lack thereof), were blatant ripoffs of Eddie and Cindy's bread and butter business was, well, telling.

Some things in this life are far more important than money. Honor, integrity, and loyalty are at the top of the list...as is remembering who you are, how you got to where you are, and who helped you get there. It's about God damn time people in this nation start remembering those concepts before we become even more of an entitled, "what's in it for me" society...in other words, before this entire nation becomes Kalifornia. Rant over.

Here is a :beer: for you Eddie. I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision but the right ones never are.

I totally agree with this. They nonchalantly crossed a line and transitioned from another source of communication to customers/family, into a stab at Eddie and Cindy's creativity and awesome documentary skills and huge push for money. I don't think I'm the only one that feels apart of the previous JK experiences without even being there. Theres no replacing good friends having fun together and helping those who need it on the trail with product advertisement and basically plagiarism. I hope that Eddie and Cindy document some of their future adventures to share with us because i miss that here on this forum. That will never be able to be replaced by northridge or anyone else that tries. I come to this forum for advise and to share knowledge. Not forum discounts or hand outs. Im sure there are many many others that feel the same. Needless to say I'm behind Wayalife and our family and whatever decision that needs to be made. Heres a huge pat on the back to Eddie and Cindy for standing their ground and fighting for what they believe in, just as Sharkey said.

Thanks Eddie, for keeping this forum about family, not about paper. [emoji482]

Nicalife

Eddie and Cindy, Great Decision! The quality of your work with Wayalife will keep you strong! Needless to say, NR quality will never compare nor I see it growing with that level of production they pushed.
Looking forward to the Wayalife future productions!

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Those non WAYALIFE videos sucked by comparison to every video made by Eddie and Cindy! Northridge are fools.

TFD

I've bought most of my parts from northridge, but I've learned almost everything I know about my jk from Eddie and all of you guys here on this great forum.
It's easy for me to say that I won't be giving anymore business to northridge.

CarolinaJK

Wow that really is unfortunate. When I first saw the video, I assumed it had been ran by you beforehand. I do understand your position and honestly if I was in your position, I'd probably do the exact same. [emoji111]🏾️

CastleRockJeep

I was curious why I hadn't seen anything about the new "Wayalife" video I watched on YouTube earlier today. They should be ashamed of how closely they copied the production of Wayalife videos.

In a lighter note I wasted some time today getting quotes for some parts and welding I'm looking to do in order to compare their prices to Trail Jeeps.

Looks like Trail Jeeps will get my business.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Agreed. I had the same thoughts and I like to think of myself as at least average intelligence. I also don't understand the issue with other people making jeep videos. Protectionism usually doesn't pan out, especially on the Internet. But I didn't see the videos. And I work in creative advertising that's all about creative competition. Usually quality ultimately wins. And at the end of the day, business is business. So I support both company's right to do what they want.

So if I come to your place of work and setup shop doing the same thing you do it's ok? It's ok for me to steal your business in your house?

Benny

So a paying advertiser and vendor cant post a video advertising the parts they sell and fun they are having on a run? I honestly thought the video had more of a "expedition Overland" feel to it vs. a Wayalife film.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Eddie and Cindy bowed out of making videos for JKX, NR4X4 picked it up for the past few events and every time they posted a video here, the thread was full of comments about "wish it was more like the WOL videos" "Eddies videos are so much better" etc. While I agree Eddies videos were, and still are MUCH better, at the same time, I'm not supprised northridge delivered videos that were more "like" a WOL video... it's what the MAJORITY of customers wanted...

Disclaimer: I'm not involved with either party, I only can go off intuition and what is written here to read. While I support Eddie and this forum fully and love being a part of WOL; I don't see any supprise at all with a company making a video tailored to try and meet customer expectations. Now pimping it in Eddies face was a little "rude" perhaps, but it's what everyone told them to do on the previous films in the first place. That's just my $.02.

Last edited:

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
Agreed. I had the same thoughts and I like to think of myself as at least average intelligence. I also don't understand the issue with other people making jeep videos. Protectionism usually doesn't pan out, especially on the Internet. But I didn't see the videos. And I work in creative advertising that's all about creative competition. Usually quality ultimately wins. And at the end of the day, business is business. So I support both company's right to do what they want.

There was no problem in them creating the video. Eddie has created and molded this forum into the awesome community that it is. He put in the hard labor hours and answered endless questions to create this gigantic empire we call wayalife. In creating this huge successful forum, he's created rules for vendors and members to abide by. In allowing vendors to graze here, they "stepped on eddies toes" in a sense. Using his format and originality to document these trips, they broke rules clearly laid out when you sign up. The relationship between Northridge and Wayalife turned from friendly to competitor. But not only did they steal his originality and filming ideas, they piggy backed them right into his own empire to advertise for themselves and the better of their own company. Blatantly ignoring his rules and set guidelines. Its one thing to do that, but to do it to a friend, that crosses the line completely. Appropriate actions were taken.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
^^Exactly.

And let's not kid ourselves, Northridge's videos still suck. They won't ever have the feeling of Eddie and Cindy's videos because Northridge could give two shits about the "experience" that so many of us love. (Don't believe me, just ask Dave. He will tell you that he would rather play golf than be stuck on a wheeling trip).

In my mind, this has nothing to do with the quality of videos and everything to do with respect, integrity, and appreciating the people who help put you on the map.

It's about a whole hell of lot more than just business.

JK LYF

The issue wasn't, in and of itself, "other people making jeep videos." There's a little more to it than that.

"Protectionism" is not necessarily the appropriate terminology here, as it does not apply to the contents allowed or disallowed "within" a privately owned site.

"Creative competition" is not necessarily the appropriate terminology here, as it does not apply to the contents allowed or disallowed "within" a privately owned site.

And yes, "quality ultimately wins" but when comparing apples to apples.

thardy

Banned
Yes. That happens every day. Brands like your idea, then produce it themselves. Or they give the project you've been working on for 6mos to another agency, etc. Any creative field is hyper competitive and requires you to roll with the punches.

You can't copyright a video format. That being said, Their videos are embarrassingly similar to wayalife's. But we all know it and called NR out on it. The internet usually takes care of itself. What are the sayings? Imitation flattery and "Creativity is all about hiding your sources."

But coming from an equally tught knot land cruiser forum and not having found my "jeep forum" home yet, this thread represents the two parts about the wayalife community that leave a bad taste in my mouth.

1. Some members tend to be very rude and aggressive out of the gate. That happens on every forum. But it seems to happen in every thread here. It's very rare on places like expedition portal.

2. Eddie seems to find drama. Whether it's North Ridge or AEV or TF. Since he has that relationship with NR, he probably could have called them out privately and they'd have been embarrassed enough to stop. Maybe he did and this was the result. But it does seem a little dramatic.

Eddie simply stated that NR4x4 would no longer be a vender on the forum, due to the videos, AS WELL AS, the direction their business is going. If I were a bettin man, I'd say the video was simply the last straw in something that has been a long time coming.

Skid_Kid

Northridge4x4

100% behind Eddie and fully support Wayalife. I will continue and happily rep my banner proud in the PNW.

Last edited:
Top Bottom