Torque Wrench - Is it trashed now?

Jeepnoub

I've used my cheap torque wrenches in a pinch the way you have and they survived. Although, I never exceeded the limits of the wrench. Assuming this is a clicker type, they operate with a spring. If you went too much over the limit it could have caused some damage.

Checking the torque on an already tightened bolt with another torque wrench is okay if you're only trying to be accurate within 5% or so. If you're doing a bunch of TTY stuff I'd be really cautious until you can at least verify it on a tool truck. Keep it with you and catch one at a stop, they're always looking for more customers anyway. Just a forewarning, you might walk off with one of these :). Those trucks are dangerous!

View attachment 183453

Nothing like a few thousand sitting in the top drawer.

colo dean

I would guess to torqe bolts that have the opposite thread. Which is why I would assume it doesn't matter if you use it to loosen up a bolt.

Yep, if I remember correctly, it was older Fords, the left side lugs were left hand thread, the right side had right hand threads. Worked in a tire shop long time ago and had a couple kids had no idea why they couldn't get the wheels off. We used the same torque wrench to tighten them as other vehicles. As long as it is within the limits of the wrench, should not be a problem.

Yep, if I remember correctly, it was older Fords, the left side lugs were left hand thread, the right side had right hand threads. Worked in a tire shop long time ago and had a couple kids had no idea why they couldn't get the wheels off. We used the same torque wrench to tighten them as other vehicles. As long as it is within the limits of the wrench, should not be a problem.

My buddy's Willys has some left hand lugs on it as well. heh.

But yeah, thank you all for sharing this info. Learned something useful. :)

Top Bottom