Need some advice from the Colorado guys

Ddays

Hooked
So I have a trip to Salt Lake City the first week of April. Instead of flying I'm driving the Jeep out and plan on spending one day (Thursday)in Moab shaking it down some. Friday morning I'm heading back to Pa driving through Co. on I-70. My thoughts are why not take advantage while I'm passing through and at least take a 2-4 hour side trip through some picturesque trail along the way? Anyone have any suggestions? Looking for anything fairly convenient to I-70 and want to get a nice taste of the scenery. Never been to Co. before so really looking forward to it.

Edit: I did check out traildamage.com but honestly having never been there there is almost too many choices...If you have tips I'll check them out there...

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

Use the map of CO trails to look for one along your route. Click on a few and look for ones with low Difficulty and high Elevation and Scenery using ratings on the right.

There's also the All Things Colorado thread you could scroll through.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Moab is about an hour or hour and a half west of the Silverton, Ouray, Telluride area. Several trails in that area.

WJCO

Meme King
So I have a trip to Salt Lake City the first week of April. Instead of flying I'm driving the Jeep out and plan on spending one day (Thursday)in Moab shaking it down some. Friday morning I'm heading back to Pa driving through Co. on I-70. My thoughts are why not take advantage while I'm passing through and at least take a 2-4 hour side trip through some picturesque trail along the way? Anyone have any suggestions? Looking for anything fairly convenient to I-70 and want to get a nice taste of the scenery. Never been to Co. before so really looking forward to it.

Edit: I did check out traildamage.com but honestly having never been there there is almost too many choices...If you have tips I'll check them out there...

Not to discourage you buddy, but there is going to be a buttload of snow on the trails that time of year. You're best bet is to try and use google earth to find out which ones get more sun exposure. Or see youtube videos that have real travel dates in the description (not the upload date). Also every year here is different with snow pack.

EDIT: You could always take the peak to peak out of Idaho Springs, go through Black Hawk, Nederland, Then Estes Park, and then back down the mountain out to I-25 into Denver. That's about a 2-3 hour cut off.

Ddays

Hooked
Not to discourage you buddy, but there is going to be a buttload of snow on the trails that time of year. You're best bet is to try and use google earth to find out which ones get more sun exposure. Or see youtube videos that have real travel dates in the description (not the upload date). Also every year here is different with snow pack.

EDIT: You could always take the peak to peak out of Idaho Springs, go through Black Hawk, Nederland, Then Estes Park, and then back down the mountain out to I-25 into Denver. That's about a 2-3 hour cut off.

Yup, I forgot to ask about the snow.... thought that might be an issue. When we get to April over here we're home free from the snow pretty much.

I'll take a look at the route you suggested. Thanks! :thumb:

Ddays

Hooked

Moab is about an hour or hour and a half west of the Silverton, Ouray, Telluride area. Several trails in that area.

Use the map of CO trails to look for one along your route. Click on a few and look for ones with low Difficulty and high Elevation and Scenery using ratings on the right.

There's also the All Things Colorado thread you could scroll through.

Damn, now I'm wishing I had more than a couple hours! I'll check out wall of these suggestions. Thank you gentlemen!

DELIVERANCE

As stated above, you're likely SOL as far as snow pack is concerned. However, if you are lucky and the trail is passable then Spring Creek is the one you want. It fits your timeframe and wish list. The scenery above Georgetown is impressive. Coming from the west you will pass Georgetown and head to Downieville (exit 234). The trail begins right off I-70 and loops up and back to Georgetown at 1-70 again. Good luck with the snow though...

boardsurfer

Spring Creek is going to be pretty gnarly with snow, prepare your Zeon, you'll need it probably on the first obstacle if it is slippery. Looking through your build your Jeep is plenty capable, just a matter of how much effort your want to put in. If it turns out to be too much, you could loop around to Cascade Creek and climb the same mountain just from the other side. Its a very easy trail aside from one climb towards the beginning.

Cascade.jpg

Spring Creek is the light blue/green coming down from the highway. Cascade Creek coming up from the bottom. Saxon Mountain trail on the far left there.

The views are ridiculous though.

IMG_1064.jpg

Colorado2003

Ddays, I will be around then and want to make it up to you for getting me that driveshaft! We just ran Chinaman's Gulch 3 weeks ago and it was great. Also I could meet you as you pass through and hit the trails with a guided tour and a beer! Let me know brother. Hit me up on a PM and I'll pass you my number so we can coordinate.

Ddays

Hooked
Man, that would be awesome! I got the damn dates screwed up though...it is gonna be April 22/23rd I'll be passing through. Once it gets closer I'll PM you and see what your schedule looks like, deal?

Colorado2003

That's no problem. I will block those dates off and get some friends to join. I'm always up to hit up the trails around here. Now we just need to get Eddie back out this way to run it with us!

Top Bottom