Off-Road Trailer build

Spudcannons

I am thinking of building an off-road trailer for a coast to coast wheeling trip this summer. I am considering welding up a frame and putting a dinoot tub on it then welding a support for a roof mount tent on that. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with dinoot or off-road tent trailers. I plan on hitting MOAB, the Rubicon and basically everything from the east cost to Cali. yay unlimited time and funds!

Journeyman

I am thinking of building an off-road trailer for a coast to coast wheeling trip this summer. I am considering welding up a frame and putting a dinoot tub on it then welding a support for a roof mount tent on that. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with dinoot or off-road tent trailers. I plan on hitting MOAB, the Rubicon and basically everything from the east cost to Cali. yay unlimited time and funds!

Although I've really enjoyed tweaking on my trailer. If I had unlimited funds I would probably just buy one. There's plenty Offroad trailers for sale that someone custom ordered, dropped 20k on my them and only used the trailer a half dozen times, then putting it up for sale at fraction of the cost.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Subscribed. I'm looking at doing something as well. Not sure I see the point in the fiberglass tub kits though. One smack against the rocks and you will have to become a fiberglass repair expert.

I'm looking at the Harbor Freight trailer for $200, then going with axle-less Timbren suspension conversion for another $350. Haven't decided what to do with the tub/storage yet though.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Subscribed. I'm looking at doing something as well. Not sure I see the point in the fiberglass tub kits though. One smack against the rocks and you will have to become a fiberglass repair expert.

I'm looking at the Harbor Freight trailer for $200, then going with axle-less Timbren suspension conversion for another $350. Haven't decided what to do with the tub/storage yet though.

Same here. The HB trailer seems like a nice starting point.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

If you do, start a build thread on it. I'll be interested to see it.

Tree Frog

Not to hijack but why not,
So Sharkey I am with you on the Timbren suspension. They have a great reputation. My problem is I have no idea where to start with the weight rating.
(Great Fabricator/ poor Engineer)

I guess I will get it all figured out and weigh everything, Then try to guess how much stuff I will put in the trailer. :idontknow:

Who are you going to use for a source for the Timbren's? My buddies at that speed shop on Glendale have them listed on their website.

toxicwaste29

I'm building one right now for a landscaping trailer for my business. It is 7'6" x 14'. I spent $520 in steel with it getting cut to spec. Have the means to weld it myself. I did up the plans myself in cad. The axle, hangers, springs, etc for 3500 lbs ran me about $400. I could have bought one but looking at $2k. This is just to give you an idea if you decide to make one yourself. There are free plans online and then just modify off those for your needs.

Attachments

• 1460480178117.jpg
    1460480178117.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 177

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Not to hijack but why not,
So Sharkey I am with you on the Timbren suspension. They have a great reputation. My problem is I have no idea where to start with the weight rating.
(Great Fabricator/ poor Engineer)

I guess I will get it all figured out and weigh everything, Then try to guess how much stuff I will put in the trailer. :idontknow:

Who are you going to use for a source for the Timbren's? My buddies at that speed shop on Glendale have them listed on their website.

Honestly, I was just going to match the suspension to the weight rating on the trailer. So, I was looking at the 1,200 lb Timbren suspension with the long spindles for wider tires. I have no clue if that is the correct setup and I will likely call them directly if and when I get to that point. In terms of sourcing, we have a Summit Racing in Reno and I know they are an authorized dealer.

toxicwaste29

^ that's what I would do. If you have a trailer rated for 1200 no sense in putting a 3500 on it when it will ripe the trailer itself apart

Spudcannons

While I'm pretty excited about build a trailer, I was reminded of the security risk of leaving a trailer at a trail head or anywhere. I also don't think the trailer would make it through some of the tougher trails in MOAB or the rubicon. My buddy was saying he would not take his through trails like that and would be worried of the security of the trailer, thoughts?

mcgyvr

While I'm pretty excited about build a trailer, I was reminded of the security risk of leaving a trailer at a trail head or anywhere. I also don't think the trailer would make it through some of the tougher trails in MOAB or the rubicon. My buddy was saying he would not take his through trails like that and would be worried of the security of the trailer, thoughts?

Just have provisions for locks.. Most have the ability to lock the trailer ball latch on the trailer if you leave it at the trail head..
Then locking compartments/doors/whatever ..

Depending on how its build some trails you can bring it though but yes others you will just be dragging it around back there bashing the heck out of it..

Top Bottom